Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Canada

1235»

Comments

• Options
    "[Evacuees] are arriving literally with the clothes on their back and they’re hearing that their houses have gone up in flames, everything’s gone,”

It's absolutely shocking whats going on up there, worse even than the Slave Lake fire a few years ago. I have a buddy who works as a heavy equipment mechanic in the oil patch and he has been evacuated north, away from his home in Spruce Grove, because the highway south to Edmonton was basically gridlock. He seems to be safe for now, but entirely counter intuitive to be heading further away from his wife and 3 kids. For Mac been hit as hard as anywhere by the slump in oil prices too.

• Options

"[Evacuees] are arriving literally with the clothes on their back and they’re hearing that their houses have gone up in flames, everything’s gone,”

It's absolutely shocking whats going on up there, worse even than the Slave Lake fire a few years ago. I have a buddy who works as a heavy equipment mechanic in the oil patch and he has been evacuated north, away from his home in Spruce Grove, because the highway south to Edmonton was basically gridlock. He seems to be safe for now, but entirely counter intuitive to be heading further away from his wife and 3 kids. For Mac been hit as hard as anywhere by the slump in oil prices too.

It's supposed to get worse as well tomorrow with stronger winds fanning the flames.....hearing now that the cty centre is starting to burn :(
  • Options
    If its already reached the downtown there may not be much city left by tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hope this ends well for all involved. You all have my very best wishes.
  • Options

Take care all - please check in here from time to time to keep us posted.
  • Options
    How do you exiles cope via England in major tournaments?

Will be weird sitting in "a bar" the only person wearing an England shirt (don't av cable)

Mostly likely having to demand to get that crappy basketball or hockey off the box.

If England actually win the euros or do very well it will be quite strange.

I'm billy no English mates, having said that, I randomly bumped into a bloke from bromley the other night in a rural area.

• Options
    Took my boy to his game tonight in his u-10 league, 150km drive to get there - same distance as Charlton to Leicester!! This is a ridiculously big country! Lost 3-0.

Good to see how popular football is getting over here though - so many kids playing it & talk now of a Canadian version of the MLS on it's way,
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Took my boy to his game tonight in his u-10 league, 150km drive to get there - same distance as Charlton to Leicester!! This is a ridiculously big country! Lost 3-0.

Good to see how popular football is getting over here though - so many kids playing it & talk now of a Canadian version of the MLS on it's way,

What'll happen if there is a Canadian version of the MLS.

i.e. Toronto / Vancouver and Montreal are already in the said league so would they move home?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Oakster said:

Surely you mean 'soccer' eh?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Oakster said:

i.e. Toronto / Vancouver and Montreal are already in the said league so would they move home?
    Edmonton and Ottawa in the NASL as well. MLS is League 1/Championship level, as has been discussed on here before. NASL, I would say, is more conference or lower. Can't see a Canadian league taking off under it's own steam and achieving a decent standard. Lots of immigrants from football playing nations here in Edmonton but, whilst the team has lasted 5 or 6 years now, it still seems to be struggling to gain much traction in terms of match day attendances. I think the Canadian teams need the exposure and marketing power the American leagues can bring them to survive. Would love to see an MLS division 2 introduced though with promotion and relegation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oakster said:

Edmonton and Ottawa in the NASL as well. MLS is League 1/Championship level, as has been discussed on here before. NASL, I would say, is more conference or lower. Can't see a Canadian league taking off under it's own steam and achieving a decent standard. Lots of immigrants from football playing nations here in Edmonton but, whilst the team has lasted 5 or 6 years now, it still seems to be struggling to gain much traction in terms of match day attendances. I thin the Canadian teams need to exposure and marketing power the American leagues can bring them to survive. Would love to see an MLS division 2 introduced though with promotion and relegation.
    I went and looked it up and saw in one article with the MLS Commissioner that Canadian players are regarded as overseas imports so even if Toronto wanted to sign a local lad he's got to be regarded as an import...

Bit of a shame really but as the article says, thats just part of the strict United States Immigration laws.
  • Options
    Canadian addicks

What's the views in Canada on trump expanding the Keystone XL line.

Is it seen as a blessing for economy or a disaster for the environment.

My understanding is the oil companies have to replace once finished what they have removed in theory great but does it happen?
  • Options

Canadian addicks

What's the views in Canada on trump expanding the Keystone XL line.

Is it seen as a blessing for economy or a disaster for the environment.

My understanding is the oil companies have to replace once finished what they have removed in theory great but does it happen?

More money for Canada.
  • Options
    Thinking of going from Vancouver and driving down to Seattle. What's the border crossing like? Years ago I crossed into the US at Niagara and it took hours. Should I expect the same?
  • Options
    Mixed feelings from me in Alberta. Potentially good - (subject to how much the US are prepared to pay for the oil & the taxes they will impose) - for a stagnant one-trick economy in this province crippled by low oil prices.

Environmentally the tar sands are a disaster in my opinion.

@colthe3rd - depends on the time of day & the day of the week - sometimes you breeze across, sometimes not - there are several options to cross from the Lower Mainland into Washington - so you can pick & choose according to wait times- see below for live info.

http://www.borderlineups.com
  • Options
    Cheers Oak
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Thinking of going from Vancouver and driving down to Seattle. What's the border crossing like? Years ago I crossed into the US at Niagara and it took hours. Should I expect the same?

I will be doing that in the summer.

Not looking forward to passing through the boarder.

I assume just get American holiday visa before arriving.

Can imagine be like interrogated by a load of mini trumps.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

colthe3rd said:

Yeah I think my ESTA might still be valid from the last time I went there. Like I said though last time I went across the border in a car took a long time. We were dragged into an office to give finger print and retina scans and practically a full on interrogation before being allowed to cross.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

colthe3rd said:

Yeah I think my ESTA might still be valid from the last time I went there. Like I said though last time I went across the border in a car took a long time. We were dragged into an office to give finger print and retina scans and practically a full on interrogation before being allowed to cross.
    If you've time I can recommend entering via Vancouver Island. We had a few days in Victoria then caught the ferry across to Port Angeles. You do all the immigration palaver in Canada and pretty much drive off the other end. Something a bit different to consider.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

colthe3rd said:

If you've time I can recommend entering via Vancouver Island. We had a few days in Victoria then caught the ferry across to Port Angeles. You do all the immigration palaver in Canada and pretty much drive off the other end. Something a bit different to consider.
    Yeah I was in Victoria last summer so looking to something different this year. How much was the ferry for a car?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

colthe3rd said:

Yeah I was in Victoria last summer so looking to something different this year. How much was the ferry for a car?
    https://cohoferry.com/