Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Stadium - Please sign the NEW PETITION

Comments

• Yes, but Chelsea ans Spurs will be short-term users, West Ham will pay a rent each year for 99 years.
    Simple rule of economics, you commit yourself for longer you get a better rate. Not rocket science.
  • And if I get directly asked a question I will reply. I think you will find once the deal is out that West Ham as anchor tenant (not owner of the stadium) paid a market going rate under the circumstances.
    I think you'll find it would have driven the market price up if there had been more competitors to rent the place.

Chelsea & Spurs are looking at £10m + per season for Wembley, whilst West Ham pay £2.5m for the OS.
    Quite, and since that figure is one West Ham have been happy to have out there, you wonder why on earth one of them wouldn't instead look at the OS for £5m plus overheads. I think that's one of the things we will learn from the full release...
    Don't West Ham have a say on who uses the OS, including no premiership football other than themselves? Still that we go out the window if they go down.
  • Yes, but Chelsea ans Spurs will be short-term users, West Ham will pay a rent each year for 99 years.
    Simple rule of economics, you commit yourself for longer you get a better rate. Not rocket science.

Would appreciate it if you could find me a landlord in London willing to rent me a 2 bed apartment at 25% of market rate if I commit to 5 or 10 years!
    I forgot to mention I would also like this landlord to pay for all the overhead costs while I am living there.
  • As it happens, the Govt is at this very moment planning to introduce changes to FOI rules, so that, when they drag their heels over responding, you will then have to pay £100 for a written appeal or £600 for a court hearing to force the issue. They don't like the bright light of scrutiny falling on their sordid little schemes.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Newham council to ask residents and businesses to help it save £50 million next year.

http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/News/Newham-council-to-ask-residents-and-businesses-to-help-it-save-50-million-next-year.aspx

I know how it can save £45M in one go.

that just about sums it up!
    Just go on and fill in the questionnaire and say that they can save money by not sponsoring West Ham's move to Stratford.

Would appreciate it if you could find me a landlord in London willing to rent me a 2 bed apartment at 25% of market rate if I commit to 5 or 10 years!
    Newham council will I think - they'll even convert it into a 5 bedroom apartment for you free of charge.
  • Yes, but the landlord agreed to that deal and he was willing to sign it despite maybe not giving him the kind of money he was looking for. That's how a market works. If you have less partners to do business with you are likely having to compromise on the terms.
    You still haven't explained why the government would willingly throw money away just so West Ham could benefit and grow as a club.
    Let's be honest, even with the deal published you will still not be happy.
    You will be saying they didn't put any dodgy stuff in writing (which nobody would do anyway).
    If you are still pusrsuing this line of unlawful and dodgy dealings you may have to provide some proof for those allegations.
  • Sponsored links:

• The stuff flying about on this and other fans pages is often frankly laughable. Do you really think that an army of government and private sector laywers pouring over a contract that had been won in a fair and open tender after a prior tender had been thrown out over state aid concerns would not ensure that it complied with state aid laws?

The publishing of the contract under the ruling of the FOIC will exonerate West Ham and the LLDC of all this in the public's eyes, though no doubt many of its opponents including people here will continue to try to drag the name of the club through the mud.

• I also heard the European Commission saw the full contract with nothing blacked out or redacted and they saw no case to answer for state aid. Unlike with other football clubs under investigation they saw nothing wrong with West Ham renting the OS under the terms of their deal.
    But that apparently isn't good enough until the deal has been officially rubberstamped by the state aid experts Richard Hunt and Mat Roper.
  • Nah, you just keep digging if it makes you happy. Not sure what you hope to find, but go right ahead.
  • I also heard the European Commission saw the full contract with nothing blacked out or redacted and they saw no case to answer for state aid. Unlike with other football clubs under investigation they saw nothing wrong with West Ham renting the OS under the terms of their deal.
    But that apparently isn't good enough until the deal has been officially rubberstamped by the state aid experts Richard Hunt and Mat Roper.

Well as I understand it the EC left the door open on the matter. As has been already said, the complainant could hardly challenge the assertion, "had he seen the details of the contract..." because, well, he hadn't - that was the point. The EC got the LLDC angle, what they wanted to present - and I might be wrong but I thought they quoted the terms rather than produced the contract in their 26 page response. When the full terms are out and can be properly analysed and contextualised, we'll see.
  • gavros said:

The stuff flying about on this and other fans pages is often frankly laughable. Do you really think that an army of government and private sector laywers pouring over a contract that had been won in a fair and open tender after a prior tender had been thrown out over state aid concerns would not ensure that it complied with state aid laws?

The publishing of the contract under the ruling of the FOIC will exonerate West Ham and the LLDC of all this in the public's eyes, though no doubt many of its opponents including people here will continue to try to drag the name of the club through the mud.

Well you'd think and army of Irish government and Apple's private lawyers would also have ensured their deal complied with state aid laws.

We already know the LLDC failed to apply for the exemption they should have, what makes you so confident in them?
  • As I understand it the European Commission didn't get the LLDC angle, they didn't get a redacted version, they apparently saw the full deal. And found nothing to suggest a case of state aid in this instance.
    If anyone can appeal the publication of the deal it is the LLDC by the way, not West Ham.
    By the way: Would you be also interested to find out the finer details of the deal struck between the LLDC and UK Athletics ? Maybe you should as the taxpayers' money is at the heart of your campaign, innit ?
    Yet you are still only interested in the West Ham deal, despite it not being about West Ham renting the OS ?
  • How many times will British Athletics get to use the stadium per year..??
  • Sponsored links:

• UK Athletics is a private business
  • As I understand it the European Commission didn't get the LLDC angle, they didn't get a redacted version, they apparently saw the full deal. And found nothing to suggest a case of state aid in this instance.
    If anyone can appeal the publication of the deal it is the LLDC by the way, not West Ham.
    By the way: Would you be also interested to find out the finer details of the deal struck between the LLDC and UK Athletics ? Maybe you should as the taxpayers' money is at the heart of your campaign, innit ?
    Yet you are still only interested in the West Ham deal, despite it not being about West Ham renting the OS ?

You're quite wrong - I have a copy of the UK Athletics deal. It has some redacted passages, but nothing like the West Ham deal. See Prague's last post for the rest.
  • cafc999 said:

How many times will British Athletics get to use the stadium per year..??

They get it for 45 days, "almost twice as much as West Ham". Obviously they'll be hosting international tournaments in it every day from the middle of June until the end of July...

I could be wrong, but somehow I doubt that UK Athletics got a very good deal - after all, they had to contribute to the costs of converting the stadium for West Ham.
  • Rothko said:

UK Athletics is a private business

Well, unless there are two "UK Athletics"....

UK Athletics (UKA) is the governing body for the sport of athletics in the United Kingdom. It is responsible for overseeing the governance of athletics events in the UK as well as athletes, their development, and athletics officials. UK Athletics introduced the British Athletics brand in 2013 to act as the identity for athletics in the United Kingdom, while UK Athletics continue in the role of governance.[1]

It has four member organisations, one from each of the constituent countries of the United Kingdom: England Athletics, Scottishathletics, Welsh Athletics, and Athletics Northern Ireland.

Wikipedia. The UK Athletics website is opening more slowly than the Thames Barrier...
  • IA said:

cafc999 said:

How many times will British Athletics get to use the stadium per year..??

They get it for 45 days, "almost twice as much as West Ham". Obviously they'll be hosting international tournaments in it every day from the middle of June until the end of July...

I could be wrong, but somehow I doubt that UK Athletics got a very good deal - after all, they had to contribute to the costs of converting the stadium for West Ham.
    Do they get a big megastore too..?? Or hospitality suites decked out in their colours..??
  • Have they gone? Did we finally get rid of them?