Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Stadium - Please sign the NEW PETITION

Comments

• Options

IA said:

I think the FOI stuff should be on a different thread. Leaving this one with its focus.

Yes, as mentioned above, we'll create one, although it will be hard work keeping it going, so we will still have to promote it on this thread.
    PMing you about earlier consultation deadline, which was about appeals against refusals to respond to FOI, which you can guarantee they'll be doing a lot more of in future.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Here's the thing, right .... state aid, ok ? Seriously, state aid ?? What's anyone ever done for Newham, one of the poorest boroughs in Britain ? ? ?

I know there's been the huge expansion of the DLR, the Jubilee Line extension, the opening of an international high-speed rail link (one of only four UK stations), the local re-vamping of London Overground, Crossrail, an international airport, a colossal Exhibition Centre, the world's dearest cable car, an Olympic Games and a world-class financial centre just across the borough boundary, but surely a free stadium isn't too much to ask, is it ?
  • Options

Sources at the Independent Commission on Freedom of Information meeting disclosed that the cross-party group will consider introducing charges for applications for information for the first time...
    Freedom of information commission not very free with its information

http://gu.com/p/4d6d2?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I mentioned this on this thread a few weeks ago and probably about 40 pages ago. No-one responded. There was a "consultation" which few of the public were aware of, naturally. It's probably closed by now. They don't like the great unwashed having their say, really, but I was one of those who became aware of it and commented.

It's exactly the same approach they used when introducing fees for employment tribunal claims during the last Parliament: reduce accountability and opportunities for redress by stealth. If they were open and said, we're scrapping this and trashing that, there might be more concerted opposition to it. Instead, with 99% of the public blissfully unaware and under the cover of "necessary" austerity, they introduce charges that make it too much of a gamble for most people. It's a brilliant wheeze. They've certainly learned from past mistakes.

EDIT: the consultation closed on 18 Sep. At that time, they were talking of fees for appeals against refusals of FOI requests running into hundreds of pounds.

But we could also start a thread creating awareness of this issue, particularly now so many people are aware of how FOI has helped on the Olympic issue. Put simply, without the FOI law, the whole campaign would be dead in the water, and Brady and Gullivan would be proceeding smoothly towards their pot of gold, amassed from your pockets. Hopefully all of you who are in favour of what we are doing could write to this Commission, perhaps using the OS case as an example. I could write a template submission.
    Sounds good
  • Options
    Thought this was worth raising with the latest BBC survey. Only Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are more expensive to watch than West Ham when comparing the cheapest season ticket costs at each club in the Premier League.

They can't even claim to be the cheapest in London as Palace and Watford (if you count them) are cheaper.

It costs £24.80 for every goal scored at Upton Park, second only to Sunderland.

The cheapest West Ham United match-day ticket is 19% below the league average.

The most expensive West Ham United match-day ticket is 68% above the league average.

The cheapest West Ham United season ticket is 20% above the league average.

The most expensive West Ham United season ticket is 8% above the league average.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-79ccb1e7-d390-44c1-8857-cfcb0ade2595
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Interesting article on the back page of the News Shopper KM not fazed by West Ham moving to OS " We have a family club with a big history where people can come for an easy affordable day out". Can not find it online at present.
  • Options
    I suppose it depends on who she talks to. History not important, History very important -it is confusing
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Interesting article on the back page of the News Shopper KM not fazed by West Ham moving to OS " We have a family club with a big history where people can come for an easy affordable day out". Can not find it online at present.

Thanks for the support Katrien. Clueless.
  • Options
    There you go Katrien, fixed that for you:

"We are not fazed by West Ham's move to Stratford as we are not in competition with them. We have a family club with a big history no Premiership ambitions where people can come for an easy affordable a day out sitting on our sofa when Wet Sham are playing away".
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Quite right Katrien. Who cares about West Ham , football and high prices*

*we're f#*#*d if The London Dungeon Are doing a 2-for-1 though!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anyone else noticed that when you go to buy tickets for the 'Six Day Cycling' at the velodrome in the Olympic Park, you have the option for 'Adult' or 'Adult (West Ham Offer)' and the same for juniors! Do they get a special deal on other venues there as well? I don't think there was a price difference that I could tell but is the 'westhamification' happening in all the park?!
  • Options

Dansk_Red said:

Thanks for the support Katrien. Clueless.
    Is there a link for the full article yet? That excerpt is really disappointing and appears to show a naivety of the situation and undermines the work being done by the campaign. Difficult without seeing the context of the quote but sometimes she really doesn't do herself any favours does she...
  • Options

Has anyone else noticed that when you go to buy tickets for the 'Six Day Cycling' at the velodrome in the Olympic Park, you have the option for 'Adult' or 'Adult (West Ham Offer)' and the same for juniors! Do they get a special deal on other venues there as well? I don't think there was a price difference that I could tell but is the 'westhamification' happening in all the park?!

it is probably so WH can lay claim to helping fill the venue when it is used for other things thus justifying them paying a little over fuck all for playing there.
  • Options
    Here's a photo I took when at the OS for Ireland v Italy rugby. Note the "void" created by moving the lower tier forward. This is the view from what WHU will be selling as the "posh seats": image

• Options
    IAIA
    edited October 2015
    Weegie, how was the view? It looks pretty far away but bearable

What is in the 'void'? Is it a straight drop to the ground, or is there a platform?

Thanks for the photo
  • Options
    The view was OK for rugby, but you certainly felt a long way from the action - would not fancy it for football. The whole area was a bit soul-less/ corporate (we'd just bought ordinary tickets, but there was some issue so we got moved here). We were a few rows back from the void, so I didn't peer into it so not sure if it goes to the ground or not.
  • Options

Here's a photo I took when at the OS for Ireland v Italy rugby. Note the "void" created by moving the lower tier forward. This is the view from what WHU will be selling as the "posh seats": image

wont be long till someone drunkenly does a Karen Brady to the railing round the void.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Here is the link to the newshopper interview.
    It is on the backpage.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?PBID=5c4bb7d9-2773-4bdb-96a1-54cc46e263f1&skip=

"We have a family club image with a big history where people can come for an easy, affordable day out' The fans feel part of the club. The players are accessible,
    the manager is accessible, and you are close to the club' She then goes on to to talk about West Ham being a different kind of proposition' she goes on to state that
    you are just one thousands of people and you perhaps don't feel part of the community".
    Interestingly she states that 'the operational cost at the Valley is more than the rent that they will pay, and the stadium is half the size'
    She goes on to state that ' It might be a challenge with West Ham, but I truly believe that we have something unique and different to offer fans'.......

I imagine that she is alluding to a history, and a culture of fan engagement, but then having coming from the local community I do question that today myself.!
    Perhaps in time she may be proved right...........
  • Options

It is on the backpage.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?PBID=5c4bb7d9-2773-4bdb-96a1-54cc46e263f1&skip=

"We have a family club image with a big history where people can come for an easy, affordable day out' The fans feel part of the club. The players are accessible,
    the manager is accessible, and you are close to the club' She then goes on to to talk about West Ham being a different kind of proposition' she goes on to state that
    you are just one thousands of people and you perhaps don't feel part of the community".
    Interestingly she states that 'the operational cost at the Valley is more than the rent that they will pay, and the stadium is half the size'
    She goes on to state that ' It might be a challenge with West Ham, but I truly believe that we have something unique and different to offer fans'.......

I imagine that she is alluding to a history, and a culture of fan engagement, but then having coming from the local community I do question that today myself.!

Pretty reasonable position in my opinion. Also not sure BA's fears that she might be undermining the OS campaign is necessarily justified - the bolded bit seems like an attempt at holing WH below the waterline to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems about right (including playing staff). Commercial, marketing, conference and banqueting, retail, Academy, ticketing and so on.
  • Options
    I seem to recall they had over 700 in their annual accounts, but presumably that includes casual staff.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

I seem to recall they had over 700 in their annual accounts, but presumably that includes casual staff.

It will - match day staff, stewards and the like.
  • Options
    They do like a female match day hostess
  • Options
    edited October 2015
  • Options

It is on the backpage.

I haven't felt part of the club since this lot ousted Chris Powell and started bringing in all these Average Joe's from the darkest depths of Europe. I'm sure I'm not alone. I dare not even let myself get excited by a player (or manager for that matter) because of how the revolving door policy is.
  • Options
    KUMB article claiming that more redacted sections have been revealed today? PA?