Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    After suffering from the engineering works on the Woolwich line and then joining the long queues outside the North Stand I presumed I'd spend the beautiful day witnessing a boring nil nil. Oh no!
    A real Charlton performance who looked like they really wanted it. Then a burst ball! Never seen that before.
    At that point Simon Mak looked like the weak link, but his goal was fantastic and meant so much to him. Kashi was brilliant. We should have been at least two up before our injuries let Hull back in. Pope made one mistake, but he snuffed out plenty of other crosses.
    Then it looked like it was going to be a real travesty when Hull's second went in only for it to be ruled offside. Gudmundson made up for his earlier one on one with a brave well placed header and bingo! ! Get in. Got what we deserved well and truly.
  • Options
    What happened to Ceballos?
  • Options
    Great stuff @ozaddick you picked a brilliant game to catch!!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Meyler pulled his leg back to hit a crossfield pass and Ceballos stuck his foot in. Nicked the ball off Meyler but the Hull player's follow through whacked him square on the ankle.

He tried to play on but went down a second time five minutes later and was subbed.
  • Options

Gutted to not see the winner, Rufus my son has been crying about that but if you need to go toilet you need to go.

Very sound in defense, and with our three sharpest foils for makienok out surprisingly good in attack against a side I thought had the potential to destroy us.

How many points now? Given the fixtures 3rd in the league puts the lie against relegation. Come in luzon, come charlton. Let's see how good we are

Alwaysneil, you are a legend.

Great love for GL on the site tonight. But let's not forget that his decision to play Charles-Cook in central midfield when Ba went off injured could have cost us the match. Felt sorry for the young lad as he was totally out of his depth playing there. Improved greatly when he went to RB and Cousins moved forward.

I can see why Luzon did it. Ba was walking the tightrope, having been booked, and running out of steam - Guy probably had similar concerns as many here did on the pre-match thread of throwing RCC in at RB, and risky tinkering with a back 4 protecting a clean sheet. He also had the stones to realise he'd got it wrong and take that risk after the equaliser.
  • Options
    So at the valley we have up:

Rotherham, Huddersfield; Fulham; Preston; Brentford

Away we have:

Wolves, Blackburn, Cardiff; reading

Before boro away on Halloween.

Come on you reds
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Dazzler21 said:

He got kicked by David Meyler.

With Tony Injured.
    I wanted Kag to play alongside Simon, so i got my wish and with a bit more composure he could have scored, i feel Ceballos will be a good player to come on when the oppos are tiring. Hope he not out long as we don't have many forwards left.

• Options
    Wolves and Blackburn are two matches I always hate when we have to go to their places.

Reckon at the moment though we could be playing them at the right time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Most seasons in the Championship, everyone can beat everyone. The relegated teams may have expensive squads and parachute payments, but it's hard to keep team spirit when players are leaving or rumoured to be leaving. I'd be surprised if Hull don't lose 2 or 3 out of today's team

Who though all looked average, we dominated in all positions, Tom Huddleston had to come off because he looked poor against our solid team
  • Options
    Leuth said:

My cricket team won. I hear we did too!

'The ref’s torso is subsumed into the greater gleam of the pitch and for the remainder of the match runs around as a dismembered head atop shorts.'

Every week there is something good.
  • Options
    Did anyone else but myself realise how erratic Bauer is when we have corners, the defenders can't keep up with him and he's free more times than not if we can find him.
  • Options
    Wow! Strange perspective as I only caught the first half on the stream. Kashi excellent! Possession, composed, organising, forward passes, great first half. Mak.... err, seems I missed his best moments. He had a few bad touches and few good ones, but I can see he causes a bit of trouble. Watt/KAG/others should be better at getting closer for the hold up play. Some nice football in parts. I hope we can start to dominate games with Kashi and let Mak do his talking facing the goal. A great 3 points!!!!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Cried off and we looked stronger when he went off too lightweight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Macronate said:

apart from Sergio Sanchez continuing to play for us, according to the Sky report we're managed by Guy Lozen and our goalkeeper today was Mick Pope.

they are definitely doing it on purpose because no media organisation is that inept.

As we know, media luvvies all love Palace so you may be right. Doesn't take much to get it right though, does it?

• Options
    I thought we looked very comfortable until we tired in the last 15 minutes.

Everyone played there part and over the 100 minutes we were the better side. This could be a very good season....
  • Options
    Took advantage of the rare treat of us being televised here in Canada (or anywhere for that matter) and watched the game with my 3 month old daughter on my chest and asleep for the first time since 2:30 am.

First half keeping her asleep was easy as Charlton, while extremely comfortable, failed to create much at all in attack. We did get into a few decent positions but we looked tentative and hesitant and often made the wrong decision. I thought Bergdich in particular was guilty of overplaying a few times when an early cross or pass would have been a better choice. At the other end, however, we looked solid as a rock and untroubled by a listless Hull. Kashi was seemingly everywhere and on the rare occasion he didn't snuff out any trouble, Bauer and, in particular, Diarra read the play superbly and had Jelavic in their collective pocket. We looked a bit brighter after KAG came on and JoBerg moved back to his proper position but truth was it was a pretty poor game.

Our early second half goal really opened it up though. Delighted for Mak, reckon there will be a few more to follow soon, especially if we can add a winger who can go down the outside and cross regularly like JoBerg did for the goal. He needs a running jump to be effective I think, he's tall but doesn't have the natural spring to be dominant from a standing jump.

JoBerg then spurned a fantastic chance to put us out of sight and after that Hull woke up a little bit and we actually looked slightly less assured but still in control overall. Then we lost Ba and the midfield battle, which we were winning by a landslide, suddenly was more even. Harriott gave us a bit more attacking zip than the fading Bergdich had managed but we didn't particularly look like scoring again. I thought our inexperience showed a bit as we started to sit a bit too deep. No more so than for their goal when we had 6 players on our six yard line giving their player all the time in the world to line up his shot. Even then he could only put it straight down Pope's throat. Don't want to pick on a young lad but he really should, and needs, to be holding shots like that if he wants to make it at this level... his defence left him a bit exposed on that occasion though so the goal was not all his fault. Before that he'd had a quiet game but did everything that was asked him and did it well.

At that stage I feared we might lose it, especially when I saw an inexplicable 8 minutes added time go up on the board. As injury time wound down a draw looked inevitable, then suddenly Big Mak rose and nodded into the path of JoBerg who'd made a great run in from the wing. Who knows (and who cares) where the Hull defence had gone to, but this time he kept his composure and picked his spot well. Cue delerium around the Valley and my living room... somehow I managed to celebrate both wildly and silently, expressing my delight and managing not to wake my sleeping baby. Can't wait until she's old enough to celebrate with me.

Back in the UK soon for the Hudds and Blackburn matches, very much looking forward to seeing these boys and LoonyLuzon perform in the flesh.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Bauer is one of the best defenders I have seen. Total quality. Well done.

Ouch.

Ouch? More like "fuuuucking hellllllll"!!!