Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reporter and Cameraman Shot Dead On-Air

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

Horrific incident but do not see why it has to be our lead news story over here.

What else would you go with? Corbyn wants all female carriages? Not exactly a big seller...
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Another reason never to buy The Sun again...

Words fail me why anyone would think that's acceptable.
    The "watch the chilling video..." but in the bottom left hand corner is horrible too
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Dazzler21 said:

What I saw was horrible, but luckily not graphic.

I don't understand America a lot of the time.

What is the NRA of America going to say?

That the two victims should have been armed or have had an armed guard. In the Looking Glass world of the NRA, the answer to gun crime is always more guns.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Horrific incident but do not see why it has to be our lead news story over here.

Was thinking just the same - I wonder how much coverage say the Shoreham crash garnered in the US?
  • Options

Every way you turn this world of ours is fucked up!

And seems to be getting worse too.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Was thinking just the same - I wonder how much coverage say the Shoreham crash garnered in the US?
    I'm glad that our news coverage carries important stories from around the world, I'm sure if this terrible incident had happened in France/Germany etc it would still be big news here.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Riviera said:

I'm glad that our news coverage carries important stories from around the world, I'm sure if this terrible incident had happened in France/Germany etc it would still be big news here.
    Agree but given that the US has on average 40 murders per day mainly from gun crime, I'm not sure why the presence of a camera on a small-time local TV station renders these two front page global news.

Either way terrible for the victims and their families of course.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Because we are another American state thats why, we blindly follow them to war and we even use so much of their terminology.....Team GB instead of the GB Team, can I get instead of may I have....etc ....etc...
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Riviera said:

Because we are another American state thats why, we blindly follow them to war and we even use so much of their terminology.....Team GB instead of the GB Team, can I get instead of may I have....etc ....etc...
    Awesome analogy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That second video is harrowing. It's even more sickening from first person pov.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Riviera said:

I hate Americanisms infiltrating our culture but not sure us being the 51st state of America is the reason why American news is covered here whereas very little non-American news is covered over there. It's more to do with the fact that we, unlike America, recognise there is actually a world outside our borders.
  • Options
    Very little American news is covered over there! Local news stations broadcast 98% local news, 1.9% national news and 0.1% international news.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

Riviera said:

I hate Americanisms infiltrating our culture but not sure us being the 51st state of America is the reason why American news is covered here whereas very little non-American news is covered over there. It's more to do with the fact that we, unlike America, recognise there is actually a world outside our borders.
    Yep and this ^^
  • Options
    i am not sure what i am more outraged by ? the crime itself,american gun laws,having to see it (i find this kind of intrusiveness obscene) or the media for circulating it
  • Options
    Its quite sickening that newspapers are showing the last,few terrifying seconds of a young womans life and plastering it all over the front pages. Sad proof of some peoples thirst to see everything,even murder, played out on social media :(
  • Options
    if idiots like the subject of the attached report go relatively unpunished for a total failure to make sure that lethal weapons are always stored in a secure place, we could start having more shootings in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-34065350
  • Options
    Which plays into the narrative that the world is getting more dangerous and more violent. When it isn't. It's getting safer and safer.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I agree .. 24/7 blanket 'news' coverage on scores of radio and TV stations means that the sensational and the irrelevant to the UK are all too often broadcast every half hour as vital pieces of 'news'.

.. yes, a shocking incident but nothing too unique so far as the USA is concerned .. such dreadful but essentially non unique incidents should be reported only in passing .. I know that similar incidents are commonplace throughout, for example, central and South America as well as the USA .. NOT a UK issue or problem ..
    as I wrote on here recently, the BBC newsrooms are getting far too 'Red Top' and should be above sensationalist reporting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But its their cons-tuh-too-shun-arl right to bear arms, the amendment says so.....

Bowling for columbine tells you all you need to know.

The worse thing is the most shocking part is that it was filmed. Not that some handpump killed two former colleagues. This nonsense happens every day multiple times in that country

Feel incredibly sad for the families of the victims having this splashed all over the worlds media
  • Options

Riviera said:

I agree .. 24/7 blanket 'news' coverage on scores of radio and TV stations means that the sensational and the irrelevant to the UK are all too often broadcast every half hour as vital pieces of 'news'.

.. yes, a shocking incident but nothing too unique so far as the USA is concerned .. such dreadful but essentially non unique incidents should be reported only in passing .. I know that similar incidents are commonplace throughout, for example, central and South America as well as the USA .. NOT a UK issue or problem ..
    as I wrote on here recently, the BBC newsrooms are getting far too 'Red Top' and should be above sensationalist reporting
    24 hour news is probably the worst thing to have come out of the Internet age.
  • Options
    24 news was prevalent way before the internet or social media took hold. They have just taken this instant access news to another level
  • Options
    Just so everyone knows, the Shoreham air disaster received plenty of news coverage here
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    And for those of you who don't think this should be news over there and it doesn't concern you. I'm sorry that I'm currently quite frightened to be living in this country and when something this appalling happens, I thought you all would like to know. Only the devil could ask someone to do something like this and even though this happened 800 miles from me, I am still mortified that my country houses people like this and acts like this are being committed. if something like this happened on the UK, I would want to know and I'm sure everyone there would be extremely concerned. And 1 or 2 comments are getting close to slagging America off. I share these 50 states with some right c**** here to put it extremely lightly, but it's these bastards that give us our image, I'm sorry they have ruined it for the rest of us
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

And for those of you who don't think this should be news over there and it doesn't concern you. I'm sorry that I'm currently quite frightened to be living in this country and when something this appalling happens, I thought you all would like to know. Only the devil could ask someone to do something like this and even though this happened 800 miles from me, I am still mortified that my country houses people like this and acts like this are being committed. if something like this happened on the UK, I would want to know and I'm sure everyone there would be extremely concerned. And some comments are getting close to slagging America off. I share these 50 states with some right c**** here to put it extremely lightly, but it's these bastards that give us our image, I'm sorry they have ruined it for the rest of us

I don't want to get too tin foiled hatty but fear just makes you want to buy more fear. That's what Murdoch and the news agencies trade off these days. It's also probably why people are doing those crazy stuff. Just because they have been made to feel scared. The USA is a great country but for too long has papered over the deep cracks with staunch patriotism. There are big problems in that country and they need to be addressed. Gun control and racism namely, two things that have caused the major problems currently facing the country internally.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Our brilliant 2nd amendment has ensured that gun control will not be enforced. If we drafted a new amendment repealing the 2nd amendment, we'd break into the second civil war. Racism is not as big a problem as it once was. Yes I still see it but not as much as I used to. I'm very aware that my country is fucked up beyond repair, and I am at the point of picking up and leaving. But being only 18 and heading off to university, that's easier said than done
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Our brilliant 2nd amendment has ensured that gun control will not be enforced. If we drafted a new amendment repealing the 2nd amendment, we'd break into the second civil war. Racism is not as big a problem as it once was. Yes I still see it but not as much as I used to. I'm very aware that my country is fucked up beyond repair, and I am at the point of picking up and leaving. But being only 18 and heading off to university, that's easier said than done

Racism is still rife. It's more covert than it was but still rife. I drove through communities that were dirt poor, and, surprise suprise, almost exclusively black. If that doesn't sound alarm bells to institutional racism then what does?

May I also ask, honestly out of interest, why you think the 2nd amendment is wonderful?

As for a civil war, I very much doubt it. Maybe some pissed off tweets and an assassination or two but I don't think there would be the infrastructure or willpower for pro guns people to mount any kind of effective resistance to the federal government.
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

Racism is still rife. It's more covert than it was but still rife. I drove through communities that were dirt poor, and, surprise suprise, almost exclusively black. If that doesn't sound alarm bells to institutional racism then what does?

May I also ask, honestly out of interest, why you think the 2nd amendment is wonderful?

As for a civil war, I very much doubt it. Maybe some pissed off tweets and an assassination or two but I don't think there would be the infrastructure or willpower for pro guns people to mount any kind of effective resistance to the federal government.
    I'm shocked you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic about the 2nd amendment. As for the war, a couple years ago Texas tried getting a petition together to secede from the union and become their own country. Anything is possible