Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reporter and Cameraman Shot Dead On-Air

13»

Comments

• Options
    IAIA
    edited August 2015
    An irony of American politics is that people who wholeheartedly support the 2nd Amendment (as it allows civilian population overthrow an oppressive government) are also frequently the same people as those who support further arming the police, increasing funding for the army, and support the likes of the NSA monitoring civilians.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

Our brilliant 2nd amendment has ensured that gun control will not be enforced. If we drafted a new amendment repealing the 2nd amendment, we'd break into the second civil war. Racism is not as big a problem as it once was. Yes I still see it but not as much as I used to. I'm very aware that my country is fucked up beyond repair, and I am at the point of picking up and leaving. But being only 18 and heading off to university, that's easier said than done

Racism is still rife. It's more covert than it was but still rife. I drove through communities that were dirt poor, and, surprise suprise, almost exclusively black. If that doesn't sound alarm bells to institutional racism then what does?

May I also ask, honestly out of interest, why you think the 2nd amendment is wonderful?

As for a civil war, I very much doubt it. Maybe some pissed off tweets and an assassination or two but I don't think there would be the infrastructure or willpower for pro guns people to mount any kind of effective resistance to the federal government.
    I'm shocked you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic about the 2nd amendment. As for the war, a couple years ago Texas tried getting a petition together to secede from the union and become their own country. Anything is possible
    Didn't catch the sarcasm, I agree with you it's not great at all.

I don't think a petition and a civil war are quite the same thing.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Rossman92 said:

And for those of you who don't think this should be news over there and it doesn't concern you. I'm sorry that I'm currently quite frightened to be living in this country and when something this appalling happens, I thought you all would like to know. Only the devil could ask someone to do something like this and even though this happened 800 miles from me, I am still mortified that my country houses people like this and acts like this are being committed. if something like this happened on the UK, I would want to know and I'm sure everyone there would be extremely concerned. And 1 or 2 comments are getting close to slagging America off. I share these 50 states with some right c**** here to put it extremely lightly, but it's these bastards that give us our image, I'm sorry they have ruined it for the rest of us

Please don't take the slagging of America off too personally. In fact you will have to get used to it.. if you want to stick around.
    The Scots, Irish, Welsh and French also get slagged off too so you are not alone.

I am not annoyed that it is mainline news over here as it is shocking. But I am not surprised it turned into people on here bickering about it.

Don't take offence please Ross.

I love America and not just because I have some American family.

I'm not blind to its faults, of which the guns laws are one, but its a great place, most of the people I've met are friendly.

Most of the "Americanisms" in language that people complain about are actually words and usage that originated in some part of England anyway. And it's a living language, it changes again and again as it takes from every part of the world.

Go Cardinals
  • Options
    IA said:

An irony of American politics is that people who wholeheartedly support the 2nd Amendment (as it allows civilian population overthrow an oppressive government) are also frequently the same people as those who support further arming the police, increasing funding for the army, and support the likes of the NSA monitoring civilians.

After the Charlie hebdo killings there were equally as terrifying posts on here. Saying we should open up our emails to the state and willingly open up everything we do on a computer to the state. Absolutely terrifying.
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

Our brilliant 2nd amendment has ensured that gun control will not be enforced. If we drafted a new amendment repealing the 2nd amendment, we'd break into the second civil war. Racism is not as big a problem as it once was. Yes I still see it but not as much as I used to. I'm very aware that my country is fucked up beyond repair, and I am at the point of picking up and leaving. But being only 18 and heading off to university, that's easier said than done

Racism is still rife. It's more covert than it was but still rife. I drove through communities that were dirt poor, and, surprise suprise, almost exclusively black. If that doesn't sound alarm bells to institutional racism then what does?

May I also ask, honestly out of interest, why you think the 2nd amendment is wonderful?

As for a civil war, I very much doubt it. Maybe some pissed off tweets and an assassination or two but I don't think there would be the infrastructure or willpower for pro guns people to mount any kind of effective resistance to the federal government.
    I'm shocked you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic about the 2nd amendment. As for the war, a couple years ago Texas tried getting a petition together to secede from the union and become their own country. Anything is possible
    Didn't catch the sarcasm, I agree with you it's not great at all.

I don't think a petition and a civil war are quite the same thing.
    It's the idea of seceding from the union, not the petition
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

What's not to like about giving the right to arm bears without infringement?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Curb_It said:

Rossman92 said:

And for those of you who don't think this should be news over there and it doesn't concern you. I'm sorry that I'm currently quite frightened to be living in this country and when something this appalling happens, I thought you all would like to know. Only the devil could ask someone to do something like this and even though this happened 800 miles from me, I am still mortified that my country houses people like this and acts like this are being committed. if something like this happened on the UK, I would want to know and I'm sure everyone there would be extremely concerned. And 1 or 2 comments are getting close to slagging America off. I share these 50 states with some right c**** here to put it extremely lightly, but it's these bastards that give us our image, I'm sorry they have ruined it for the rest of us

Please don't take the slagging of America off too personally. In fact you will have to get used to it.. if you want to stick around.
    The Scots, Irish, Welsh and French also get slagged off too so you are not alone.

I am not annoyed that it is mainline news over here as it is shocking. But I am not surprised it turned into people on here bickering about it.

I'll second that. The USA is an amazing country filled on the whole with incredibly welcoming people - it is the tiny lunatic fringe that always ruin things and some elements of the society that we find hard to comprehend, not least the gun laws.
    Completely this.
  • Options

IA said:

After the Charlie hebdo killings there were equally as terrifying posts on here. Saying we should open up our emails to the state and willingly open up everything we do on a computer to the state. Absolutely terrifying.
    It's possible to make that argument, even if I disagree with it. It just doesn't sit happily alongside an opinion that the general public should be constantly armed for resistance against the state.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Rossman92 said:

I suppose slagging off the U.S. is something I'm guilty of as well. Elections for the presidency are next year and I cannot imagine where we would be if someone like Donald Trump or Scott Walker got elected. The fact that people are daft enough to believe they'd make a good president has sickened me and is one of the reasons I'm becoming embarrassed to be American. My problem is that one of the comments that has riled me right up is "this was not too unique as far as the USA is concerned" Not sure if this was aimed at the reporting or the incident itself but that's not needed
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Are you sure you are American Ross? You sound far too well rounded....

I forgot the smiley face!

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Rossman92 said:

Once you graduate they'll always be a warm welcome when you relocate to south London!
    Hmmmmm, not if he tries to enter via the Channel Tunnel.

I always thought the 2nd amendment was the right to arm bears.

You learn something everyday!

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Personally I think a mistake was made during my conception and I ended up in Wisconsin when I was supposed to end up in Woolwich. But thats just my theory
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Addickted said:

bobmunro said:

Rossman92 said:

Once you graduate they'll always be a warm welcome when you relocate to south London!
    Hmmmmm, not if he tries to enter via the Channel Tunnel.

I always thought the 2nd amendment was the right to arm bears.

You learn something everyday!

Because giving a Grizzly a semi automatic is guaranteed to end well for everyone... ;)

• Options
    Horrific thing to happen to innocent people doing a job they loved! RIP to them both
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Rossman92 said:

I'm not blind to its faults, of which the guns laws are one, but its a great place, most of the people I've met are friendly.

Most of the "Americanisms" in language that people complain about are actually words and usage that originated in some part of England anyway. And it's a living language, it changes again and again as it takes from every part of the world.

Go Cardinals
    You had me up until there ... :-)
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Rossman92 said:

Go Cardinals

I hear that the Catholics of America have requested that they change the name :wink:
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Rossman92 said:

Go Cardinals

I hear that the Catholics of America have requested that they change the name :wink:
    Named after the bird not the priests : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rossman92 said:

Curb_It said:

Personally I think a mistake was made during my conception and I ended up in Wisconsin when I was supposed to end up in Woolwich. But thats just my theory
    You would have been surrounded by gun crime whichever way it turned out then !
  • Options
    Hearing Rossman say that the Shoreham plane crash received National coverage in the states sounds right because when back in 89 on a trip to California for 3 weeks the only news we heard about Britain was the Marchioness Thames disaster with the loss of 51 lives.
    On the other side of the coin 5 weeks after returning home i saw the San Francisco Oakland bridge after the earth quake(63 dead and 4000 injuried) and having travelled over it, you realise so much of life is about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Rossman92 said:

Go Cardinals
    Don't you mean Cardigans?