Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LinkedIn: Alexander Carter-Silk and Charlotte Proudman

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Bizarre. So am I right in saying she originally asked him to connect? Yes, his response was maybe a little ott, but can't help thinking he fell straight into a trap...
  • Options
    Jesus, she'd better not come in to our workplace with our innuendo based smut and I work mostly with women.
  • Options
    Thankfully I am ignorant on this one. Is it a news item? I blame Rupert Murdoch if so.
  • Options
    Well, this thread went as expected!

I severely doubt she's ruined his career. I do feel he and others might think twice before acting the letch unbidden over social media, though
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I severely doubt she's ruined his career. I do feel he and others might think twice before acting the letch unbidden over social media, though

Stunning legs you have gorgeous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

As will be pics of her snatch and rack brilliant the Internet ain't it, didn't know a marrow can go in there now I do though
  • Options

His comments were not just somewhat naive but belong to a bygone era. Sadly her attempt to use every outlet available to express her "outrage" only serves to undermine those who do have serious grievances about those who they come into contact with through work.

His comments "belong to a bygone era" ? Have you read his comments ?

When I first heard this story I assumed he'd said something ridiculously objectifying women or straight out propositioned her. He didn't. He complemented her on a picture she'd published online that was attached to the communication she'd sent him.

I'm pretty liberal and there is definitely an issue with sexism in the work place that needs to be addressed but I actually think this scenario detracts from genuine cases of sexism and overall undermines the cause.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

His comments were not just somewhat naive but belong to a bygone era. Sadly her attempt to use every outlet available to express her "outrage" only serves to undermine those who do have serious grievances about those who they come into contact with through work.

His comments "belong to a bygone era" ? Have you read his comments ?

When I first heard this story I assumed he'd said something ridiculously objectifying women or straight out propositioned her. He didn't. He complemented her on a picture she'd published online that was attached to the communication she'd sent him.

I'm pretty liberal and there is definitely an issue with sexism in the work place that needs to be addressed but I actually think this scenario detracts from genuine cases of sexism and overall undermines the cause.
    I have read his comments and stand by my reference to "bygone era". Glad to see that you don't disagree with my comment "Sadly her attempt to use every outlet available to express her "outrage" only serves to undermine those who do have serious grievances about those who they come into contact with through work". when you state ""but I actually think this scenario detracts from genuine cases of sexism and overall undermines the cause" though.
  • Options
    All a load of embarrassing nonsense.
  • Options
    bloody hell - is flirting a crime now?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    WSS said:
    Do they live in Norwich?

You may say that your daughter is beautiful, but to say she is hot, is just wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    so if your working with a female colleague for a good while and she comes in after having her hair done is it now a "PC crime" to tell her that her hair looks nice ?

• Options
    She saw a chance for 5 mins of fame and took it. Makes her look like a right prat though. Wonder if her or the like has ever commented on a blokes looks/suit etc?
  • Options
    Imagine being the person whose job it is to trawl someone's social media profiles to find random comments from mid-2014 that contradict what they're saying now.
  • Options
    legalcheek.com/2015/09/boss-of-top-legal-aid-firm-vows-to-never-instruct-linkedin-message-barrister-charlotte-proudman-again/

Some interesting stuff on here. In particular, from a couple of posters who point out that the actual words used complimented the quality of the photograph rather than the subject of the photograph.

She's merely a junior barrister, presently taking time out according to her page on her chambers web site - "Charlotte has taken sabbatical from practice in order to complete a PhD in Political Sociology at the University of Cambridge".

So, she's been in the trade for a paltry four or five years and is already off doing something non-work related. I leave you to draw your own conclusions from that.

In this matter she has demonstrated a lack of two skills that a good lawyer really, really needs. First, the ability to read and correctly understand the meaning of words and the order they are written in; and second, the ability to keep private correspondence, well, private.

It's difficult to see her getting much work any time soon unless an upcoming series of The Apprentice has a spare space for another loud-mouthed, self-promoting egoist of course.
  • Options
    Let he/she who is without sin cast the first stone! Ms Proudman is obviously not as clever as she thinks she is, if she thought no-one would start trawling her own social media once she made something like this very public.

As for Mr Carter-Silk, I think the comment about his own daughter is far, far worse.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

legalcheek.com/2015/09/boss-of-top-legal-aid-firm-vows-to-never-instruct-linkedin-message-barrister-charlotte-proudman-again/

Some interesting stuff on here. In particular, from a couple of posters who point out that the actual words used complimented the quality of the photograph rather than the subject of the photograph.

She's merely a junior barrister, presently taking time out according to her page on her chambers web site - "Charlotte has taken sabbatical from practice in order to complete a PhD in Political Sociology at the University of Cambridge".

So, she's been in the trade for a paltry four or five years and is already off doing something non-work related. I leave you to draw your own conclusions from that.

In this matter she has demonstrated a lack of two skills that a good lawyer really, really needs. First, the ability to read and correctly understand the meaning of words and the order they are written in; and second, the ability to keep private correspondence, well, private.

It's difficult to see her getting much work any time soon unless an upcoming series of The Apprentice has a spare space for another loud-mouthed, self-promoting egoist of course.

Good post. I like the sabbatical bit after 4-5 years. That's the spirit. Also, note the other papers and media outlets running with this story now, the Metro, Daily Mail. This is the sort of bollocks these titles loves. I could see Evening Standard running a feature on this next week sometime. They're running out of stories involving 'cool new work spaces in Silicon roundabout' and 'London's hippest new entrepreneurs and how they spend their money'
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Er no WSS. It's the same lawyer who made the unfortunate comment to her, making an unfortunate comment about his own daughter. Personally I think he knew he was pushing his luck, which was why he mentioned it "not being politically correct", and she was right to be pissed off. However, if it was just a one-off, I don't think she was right to make it public.

Those trying to make her out to be a hypocrite because she's made comments about guys on Facebook are missing the point spectacularly though. LinkedIn is meant to be a professional network, and Facebook isn't, so the standards of acceptable behaviour are different on each. Just like trying to flirt with random women in the pub is fine, but it's not acceptable with colleages or potential clients in the office.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

WSS said:
    Er no WSS. It's the same lawyer who made the unfortunate comment to her, making an unfortunate comment about his own daughter. Personally I think he knew he was pushing his luck, which was why he mentioned it "not being politically correct", and she was right to be pissed off. However, if it was just a one-off, I don't think she was right to make it public.

Those trying to make her out to be a hypocrite because she's made comments about guys on Facebook are missing the point spectacularly though. LinkedIn is meant to be a professional network, and Facebook isn't, so the standards of acceptable behaviour are different on each. Just like trying to flirt with random women in the pub is fine, but it's not acceptable with colleages or potential clients in the office.
    Let's all agree that he was wrong to make a crass comment on a website that supposedly has a professional image and purpose for business networking, ok, so let's park that, he was wrong, she was right, like farting in church.

She ranted on about about him/men objectifying women, when clearly she has objectified men with comments such as "hot stuff" and "oh la la" when commenting on Facebook photos. Regardless of which website it was said on, it's the same thing.
    My feeling is if it had been a young "hot stuff" male who contacted her on LinkedIn she would have reacted entirely differently.