Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield | Tue 15 Sept | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Huddersfield Town
Tuesday 15 September 2015 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Charles Breakspear

Introduction

Comments made by Patrick Bauer a few weeks ago stated that he has never experienced Football like the English leagues before, never in a million years would a German or Portuguese club start their season in August, play seven matches and then have an International Break, maybe when people ask, why is English Football so much different to that of the game played on the continent, this is the answer you can give them… I can’t imagine it happening, yet if you’re struggling with the amount of games Patrick, I suggest that you stay away from the fixture list, following the draw on Saturday against Rotherham United, it’s an instant return to league action this Tuesday as we welcome Huddersfield Town and Chris Powell back to the Valley.

The Opposition
The Terriers as they are commonly known were promoted from League One via the Play-Offs, the same year that Charlton romped to the league title… Of course things could have been very different as at the time Huddersfield had gone on an impressive run of some forty nine matches without defeat (Until they came to the Valley and were stopped dead in their tracks losing 2-0). Returning to the present day and Huddersfield are now managed by the man that arranged that 2-0 defeat in Charlton Legend: Chris Powell.

Last Season: Since promotion to the Championship you have to admit that Huddersfield have been consistent, they’ve finished 19th, 17th and 16th in each respective season, never really being able to make an attempt at the Play-Offs whilst never seriously being at threat of relegation either, their top scorer: Nakhi Wells finished on 14-goals, matches between Charlton and Huddersfield ended 1-1 in Yorkshire whilst at the Valley, Charlton ran out 3-0 victors.

Pre-Season: It wasn’t really the best of summers for Huddersfield as they lost three of their most influential players in Goalkeeper: Alex Smithies (QPR) and Midfielders: Conor Coady (Wolves) and Jacob Butterfield (Derby County)… In terms of friendlies, Huddersfield mostly played against Non-League opposition yet would lose to lower league opposition in Rochdale (4-3) and Barnsley (2-1), although the Terriers did pick up an impressive draw (0-0) against Spanish side: Deportivo La Coruna.

This-Season: Like their Yorkshire neighbours: Rotherham, it hasn’t been the best of starts for Huddersfield, they’ve yet to win a game and having drawn only three matches against Blackburn (1-1), Brighton (1-1) and Fulham (1-1), they currently occupy the second relegation spot, whilst in the League Cup they were one of many Championship sides to lose in the First Round against lower league opposition, this time in the form of Notts County (2-1).

As already mentioned by our resident Huddersfield fans, the Terriers already seem to have a lot of work to do to survive this Championship campaign, and judging by their fan noise… Is Chris Powell the right man to lead them out of this trouble or is his race in Yorkshire, coming to an end?

Key Player
There are not many players who have gone from Bermuda to Carlisle and then on to Huddersfield via. Bradford yet this is exactly what Nahki Wells has done, exploding on to the scene with Bradford during their epic League Cup run, Wells is noted for his pace and an eye for goal, scoring on 61 occasions since coming to England.

Of course there won’t be many players with the summer that Nakhi has had this year… With England securing their place in Euro 2016, Wells and Bermuda were sadly crashing out of yet another failed World Cup Qualifying Campaign. It had started so well after all, a win (8-0) over neighbours; The Bahamas saw them progress to the Second Round once more… Sadly it was as far as Nahki Wells could get, a narrow defeat to Guatemala (1-0) saw Bermuda fail to reach Russia in three years time.

There is method in this madness, discussing the fortunes of a tiny island in the Atlantic… As already mentioned, Nahki Wells is certainly a Striker with an eye for goal and with pace to boot, during qualifying he managed three goals in two appearances for Bermuda, so if he can manage that with less skilful players, what can he do in a Championship match?

Charlton Team
Pope
Solly … Bauer … Diarra … Fox
Gudmundsson … Kashi … Cousins … Bergdich
Makienok … Watt

Prediction
Charlton always seem to struggle against teams in the bottom half of the table (Proven against Rotherham on Saturday) whilst they always seem to turn up against teams at the top of the table (Hull and QPR as perfect examples)… Doesn’t matter what the Charlton side is, this always seems to happen over the years.

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Huddersfield Town.

Comments

• Options
    As at today, the bottom 3 clubs are Blackburn, Rotherham and Huddersfield .. on Saturday we failed to beat Rotherham .. Tuesday's game and Saturday away at Ewood Park should produce at least 4 points .. BUT .. the way we are failing to score goals, I won't be putting a lot of money on us achieving this .. we need to be a lot more ruthless and positive at the Valley

Makienok must start in place of Vetokele, so I agree with @ForeverAddickted 's line up

CAFC 2 v Huddersfield Town 0
  • Options
    My first trip of the season to SE7 to see our new-look side first-hand

Expect to see Makienok up front alongside Watt and that should lead to three points
  • Options
    1-0 win. Chris Powell plays for his usual 0-0 draw until Big Mac heads one in.
  • Options
    2-0 Addicks......match thread from 7 pm
  • Options
    Just wanted to say... What a fantastic name "Charles Breakspear" is. Especially for a ref.
  • Options
    Home win,2-1, bit of a struggle though.
  • Options
    Move On.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Move On.

I wish LeedsbasedTownfan would.

Another frustrating night but we edge it 1 - 0 with another Bauer goal.

13,993 is the official crowd
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will Conor McAleny, play left midfield, or is this to soon? We only have him for 2 months, so better use him
  • Options
    If we don't take three points that will be a lousy week and our start to the season will not look so good anymore.

I'm going for a 4-1 win ( Makienok , Watt , Cousins and Vetokele )
  • Options
    With McAleny playing my guess would be as follows-:
    Pope; Solly, Baur, Diarra, Fox; JBG, Cousins, Kashi, McAleny; Mack and Watt.
    If Solly cant play again so quickly after Saturday it could be-:
    Pope; Cousins, Baur, Diarra, Fox; JBG, Ba, Kashi, McAleny; Mack and Watt.
  • Options
    back to winning ways with a proper 4-0 spanking and Powell gets the sack after.
  • Options
    Be ironic if Powelly was sacked as a result of a game at Charlton?
  • Options
    Going for broke after Saturdays prediction.

9-1 to the mighty Addicks!
  • Options
    3-nil
  • Options
    3-0 to GL's Red and White Army
  • Options
    Anyone else get the pre-match e-mail from the club about tomorrow's game? Just a brief note amongst 6 club stats that CP is Huddesfield's manager. Talk about writing someone out of your history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I said on Saturday that we will probably only get 2 points from our 2 home games and nothings changed my mind. 1-1.

We are playing at the moment 3 tesms in the next few games who havent won this season, this will see how good/bad we really are.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Back to winning ways. 2-0 JBG and Watt. Wouldn't be surprised if Powell is sacked if Hudds lose
  • Options
    Mac for igor
    2-0 to addicks
    Jbg and watt to score
    Powell out
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Back to winning ways. 2-0 JBG and Watt. Wouldn't be surprised if Powell is sacked if Hudds lose

My thoughts exactly. Would be a shame.
  • Options
    As per Rotherham, far too much optimism here. We all need to realise this will be a seriously tough game. Can't see past a draw.
  • Options
    I feel very positive about the result of this one but I'm just now sure in which team's favour. The league table says easy win, but something says 'not so easy'. If I had to make a decision it would be a win for one of the two teams or, failing that, a draw.
  • Options
    1-1
    Powell stays
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options

I feel very positive about the result of this one but I'm just now sure in which team's favour. The league table says easy win, but something says 'not so easy'. If I had to make a decision it would be a win for one of the two teams or, failing that, a draw.

Easy with the details there! Bold predictions!