Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew: There is nothing I can do to change how Charlton fans feel about me

Comments

• Options
    I think someone needs to spell it out for him..

• Options
    "Things could have been very different for Pardew had he somehow managed to keep Charlton in the Premier League, despite looking dead and buried when he assumed control at The Valley."

To be fair I didn't think he looked that rough when he joined us, though later I must admit I wished he was ;-)
    Anyway Alan you are right. There is nothing you can do to change the way I feel about you.
  • Options
    Pardew
    Makes out he's footballs gentleman
    When we all know he a slippery snake
    And forgot to mention a total knob
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I'm sorry Alan, I didn't realise I had upset you like this :(
  • Options
    I don't think there are any of his previous clubs, as manager of player that give him a warm reception upon return (apart from when palace did themselves)

If he does not know why charlton fans do not have fond memories of him then he's got a terrible memory himself. Or just very stupid.

"Part and parcel of the game"
    That says it all, ignorant and respectful.

In a way I wish he said something more in this interview, where the ego came out in a more obvious way and he looked like a complete tit that would have a sleepless night at the thought of screwing this one up.

He's calmed down a bit these days.

• Options
    Gonna play Devils Advocate here and make a few comments here for Pardew:

The whole club panicked when the new TV rights were agreed because there was such an increase in the money that clubs got... The whole season we were relegated from the Premier League could have been handled differently from everyone from Richard Murrey to Dowie / Reed / Pardew, it makes you wonder if Pardew was told about the amount of players who had relegation clauses in their Contracts because in a way, had we not lost so many players, we could have bounced straight back... Instead it was a complete rebuilding process.

In regards to Varney / McLeod etc... yes they would have been Pardew signings yet its not like Football Manager where the Manager gets to decide how much money gets splashed on one player etc... Like with Duchatalet and Delort, I guess Murray would have been told who he wanted, unfortunately he didnt seem to have the negotiation stills of RD and didnt know when to just walk away and find someone else.

In all had we not been relegated from the Premier League I reckon we'd have done well with Pardew at the helm... I've always classed him as a Premier League Manager (i.e. someone who can set his team up to grind out a result etc...) yet is rubbish in the Football League as grinding out results dont seem work, you need to go for the jugular, you have to try to win a match rather than sitting back and hoping that you can nick a result...

i.e. when you look at Pardew's record he's only ever been relegated from the Premier League once, which didnt help because of the trouble we were in when he joined... At the same time look at his promotion record... He's only ever been promoted the once from the Football League which was with West Ham...

Regardless at the end of the day I'll still never forget his attitude towards me at a Club Open Day... All I asked him was whether Madjid Bougherra was still at the club or not, the prick didnt even bother to look round when he said in the most abrupt tone I've ever been spoken to: "Madjid's gone!!"
  • Options
    I've met his sister a couple of times, she's very nice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same old excuses from Pardew. None of it was his fault of course.
  • Options
    I still remember where I was when I heard Pardew had been appointed as manager of Charlton and the sense of excitement and relief the news brought. The club had become a complete joke and he brought some much needed credibility. There were some great games that followed with late home victories against Blackburn and Villa and the hammering of West Ham, matches that till stick in my mind more than many hundreds of others before or since.
    So it went wrong, that's what happens. I would imagine Pardew sees himself as a Prem manager and when we didn't bounce straight back he struggled with the job of what was becoming a club going only one way. Not an excuse but a reason maybe?
    He has since forged a pretty successful career in the Prem, not many English managers have faired any better. I like him, I like his arrogance and I think he will continue to do well. With a little bit more luck he could have saved us that year and things could have been very different. I just get so peed off with so many on here coming over as pathetic whingers about 99% of anyone who was once at the club and now is doing well or has had success elsewhere.
    As for his comment to Foreveraddickted re Madjid, well maybe he was a little pissed off about it??
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I still remember where I was when I heard Pardew had been appointed as manager of Charlton and the sense of excitement and relief the news brought. The club had become a complete joke and he brought some much needed credibility. There were some great games that followed with late home victories against Blackburn and Villa and the hammering of West Ham, matches that till stick in my mind more than many hundreds of others before or since.
    So it went wrong, that's what happens. I would imagine Pardew sees himself as a Prem manager and when we didn't bounce straight back he struggled with the job of what was becoming a club going only one way. Not an excuse but a reason maybe?
    He has since forged a pretty successful career in the Prem, not many English managers have faired any better. I like him, I like his arrogance and I think he will continue to do well. With a little bit more luck he could have saved us that year and things could have been very different. I just get so peed off with so many on here coming over as pathetic whingers about 99% of anyone who was once at the club and now is doing well or has had success elsewhere.
    As for his comment to Foreveraddickted re Madjid, well maybe he was a little pissed off about it??

Granted he was probably pissed off about it, bit unfair to take it out on your own fans though
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Riviera said:

As much as I hate the man I find myself agreeing with this.
    He screwed us over,but that is part and parcel of this heartless game.
    No doubt his reputation was in a bit if a state when he left, but he got his head down and came out the other side.

We've never really recovered , but it wasn't all his fault.
    Still hate him though!
  • Options

Riviera said:

No doubt his reputation was in a bit if a state when he left, but he got his head down and came out the other side.

Still hate him though!
    He was responsible for two relegations. Part of where we fell to and where we are is his fault.
  • Options
    Couldn't stand his attitude - nothing was ever his fault. Bit of a slime bag.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Riviera said:

That figures... :wink:

Actually I too tend to agree with you, Riv.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Gonna play Devils Advocate here and make a few comments here for Pardew:

The whole club panicked when the new TV rights were agreed because there was such an increase in the money that clubs got... The whole season we were relegated from the Premier League could have been handled differently from everyone from Richard Murrey to Dowie / Reed / Pardew, it makes you wonder if Pardew was told about the amount of players who had relegation clauses in their Contracts because in a way, had we not lost so many players, we could have bounced straight back... Instead it was a complete rebuilding process.

In regards to Varney / McLeod etc... yes they would have been Pardew signings yet its not like Football Manager where the Manager gets to decide how much money gets splashed on one player etc... Like with Duchatalet and Delort, I guess Murray would have been told who he wanted, unfortunately he didnt seem to have the negotiation stills of RD and didnt know when to just walk away and find someone else.

In all had we not been relegated from the Premier League I reckon we'd have done well with Pardew at the helm... I've always classed him as a Premier League Manager (i.e. someone who can set his team up to grind out a result etc...) yet is rubbish in the Football League as grinding out results dont seem work, you need to go for the jugular, you have to try to win a match rather than sitting back and hoping that you can nick a result...

i.e. when you look at Pardew's record he's only ever been relegated from the Premier League once, which didnt help because of the trouble we were in when he joined... At the same time look at his promotion record... He's only ever been promoted the once from the Football League which was with West Ham...

Regardless at the end of the day I'll still never forget his attitude towards me at a Club Open Day... All I asked him was whether Madjid Bougherra was still at the club or not, the prick didnt even bother to look round when he said in the most abrupt tone I've ever been spoken to: "Madjid's gone!!"

He's a decent manager.

Sadly we didn't have the money tro support his ambition. He's a jerk still.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    His period in the Championship with us is easily the biggest failure of his career, when you look at his record elsewhere.

When we got relegated he had money to spend, but frittered it away on rubbish, while the squad left behind when he was sacked was horribly unbalanced. Only 1 decent CB (Hudson) for example...

By comparison he did a decent job elsewhere, left Reading and Newcastle on his own terms, unfairly sacked by West Ham and sacked by Southampton for (allegedly) non football reasons :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    "Darren Bent was injured while we were in a relegation fight, yet I spunked a few quid on a defender (instead of a striker), that hardly played that season"
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    Nearly destroyed our club.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Still hate him though!
    He was responsible for two relegations. Part of where we fell to and where we are is his fault.
    Richard Murray was responsible for our first relegation.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Any CAFC fan who can't see this even now is still in complete denial.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Still hate him though!
    Richard Murray was responsible for our first relegation.
    Partly yes.
  • Options
    Pardew lost the plot but he did his best and circumstances were difficult. I'm sure he has become a better manager and I don't hold anything against him. I wanted him sacked which is unusual for me but he was and that was that.
  • Options
    Wasn't just Richard Murray's fault, few others in that directors lounge at the time responsible!
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Riviera said:

Still hate him though!
    I don't like him, in fact I've never liked him, but when he took over we had 12 points from 19 games and he got 22 points from the remaining 19 games. His average, over the season, would have secured us 44 points and we'd have finished 13th. I don't think we can blame the relegation from the Premier League on Pardew.

The year we were relegated from the second division no one had any idea (I mean fans, mainly) that the club were going to asset strip the squad that summer. Waggott was promising the club were going to make a real go for it - they even offered a free Premier League season ticket if we did go up to all those that bought that season! Pardew claims that he didn't know the club were going to have to sell to raise that summer (this could be a lie) but I, personally, was horrified when I heard that we were going to sell any and all players that we could get money for. Ignoring how much money Pardew had 'encouraged' the board to sell the season before, I don't think you can blame him for a relegation when his best players were sold. He also left after we lost to Sheffield United in November and we were just two points below Watford with 28 games to play. The two teams below us at that time both stayed up that season so there is an argument that there was plenty of time to get us out of trouble.

Sure Pardew 'wasted' the best chance we had of getting back up, but if he was never told how desperate the financial position was going to be then he can't really be blamed for the club selling all the best players the summer before we were relegated. Having said that we were in the play off positions with eight games to go so I would suggest that, despite that season being a 'failure', we did ok bearing in mind the losses we'd suffered the summer before that too.

Either way I now believe that, despite how unpleasant the man might be, he was with us when the wheels had fallen off due to financial issues that had taken place before he arrived and were made at board level.

His performance since he left us, and the quality of the players he has signed, suggest that he is more than capable enough as a manager, as much as I hate to admit it!