Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew: There is nothing I can do to change how Charlton fans feel about me

13»

Comments

• Options
    The lesson appears to be never trust him with your wallet (to buy players), or anything else..
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    >
    cafctom said:

I think that's a very condescending attitude to take towards people who felt completely alienated and disconnected from their club at that time.

The really sad thing is, I feel just as alienated and disconnected from my club NOW, all these years later.

• Options
    One thing I won't forgive him for were his transfer dealings after we got relegated.
    They were like that of a petulant child!
    I always imagine the scenario went a little like Pardew picking out targets that were 4 or 5 times over our budget.
    When the board said no,we haven't the budget, He couldn't/wouldn't believe it. After all we've just dropped out of the prem. We must be loaded.
    He then went on to sign players he knew nothing about and in some cases hadn't even seen. Who was the player from Fleetwood? A complete piss take! At that stage though I really don't think Pardew cared,he knew he wouldn't be around for long to see if they turned out any good or not.
  • Options

One thing I won't forgive him for were his transfer dealings after we got relegated.
    They were like that of a petulant child!
    I always imagine the scenario went a little like Pardew picking out targets that were 4 or 5 times over our budget.
    When the board said no,we haven't the budget, He couldn't/wouldn't believe it. After all we've just dropped out of the prem. We must be loaded.
    He then went on to sign players he knew nothing about and in some cases hadn't even seen. Who was the player from Fleetwood? A complete piss take! At that stage though I really don't think Pardew cared,he knew he wouldn't be around for long to see if they turned out any good or not.

Stuart Fleetwood from Forest Green Rovers. Says it all about Pardew. Has since played for Hereford Luton, Eastleigh and Sutton.
  • Options

cafctom said:

I've always thought the hatred towards him from Charlton fans was a bit over the top and forced. I don't really care for him that much these days. Somebody, somewhere down the line was going to be in charge of us when we were relegated from the Premier League, as we were never going to be there forever. It just happened to be him.

Yes, he would make excuses after losing games but then again many managers do.

The 'hate' towards him reminds me of the sort of abuse the likes of Darren Ambrose got from us after joining Palace, just all a little bit forced.

We've found our way back to the Championship, probably where we belong in the natural order of things and that blip with Pardew/Dowie has passed.

So Pardew just happened to be holding the cosmic bag when fate decided it was time for Charlton to be relegated? Personally I like to see a little bit more responsibility dished out and taken for horrendous, avoidable failings. Pardew was a bad manager, he turned on the players, the fans and the academy and there are countless first hand reports of Pardew being incredibly rude to internal staff as well. He was also instrumental in us falling to our lowest point in recent memory. So I don't excuse him for his time at the club just because we were apparently bound to get relegated eventually and have clawed our way back to higher ground. You can decide that's 'forced' if you want but personally I think that's a very condescending attitude to take towards people who felt completely alienated and disconnected from their club at that time.
    Charlton don't do 'hatred' very well, it often feels forced.

Again, all the reports of him being rude to people internally are typically people's own accounts and tellings rather than anything that happened publicly that we all know happened for sure. Not saying those people are lying by any means, but its hard for me to 'hate' someone based on somebody else's take on a person, and even more difficult for me to hate someone for not being a strong football manager whilst in charge of my club at a weekend.
  • Options
    razil said:

The lesson appears to be never trust him with your wallet (to buy players), or anything else..

Annoyingly though he went to Southampton and bought the likes of Ricky Lambert, Jose Fonte and Jason Puncheon...
  • Options

razil said:

Annoyingly though he went to Southampton and bought the likes of Ricky Lambert, Jose Fonte and Jason Puncheon...
    He had months out of management to scout players, punditry etc for his next job role....

A BIG problem appointing Pardew when we did was that he had only been out of a job for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    http://westhamworld.co.uk/interview-with-jeremy-nicholas-mr-moon-has-left-the-stadium/

West Ham stadium announcer but not as good as @BDL:

Then Alan Pardew came in and on the one had I owe a lot to Pardew because he’s the guy that got me in to the dugout so that I could do my job better, but on the other hand he had this really cruel streak to him where he used to like embarrassing me in front of everyone. Ticking me off in press conferences for announcing train delays when I had been told I had to do that because it was a safety message. He also like the razzmatazz, which was common at Reading, but I had to explain to him that West Ham is a traditional family club and it’s been done this way for years.

He had a funny idea about having a quiz that he’d seen at Sea World in Florida where camera’s zoom in people in the crowd who are then asked questions and were told to give their answers by , didn’t he?

Yeah, and I had to explain to him that West Ham fans would mess about. He was adamant that they wouldn’t and people were the same the world over. I explained we were different at West Ham and this they just wouldn’t do it. So we had to lie to him in the end and say we didn’t have to right sort of cameras for it.

So that was a lie then?

It was a white lie. We had to lie for the good of the club. I think there were cameras in the ground that could have done it, particularly the Sky cameras, but the ones that were controlled by the club were basically just wide ones for coaching DVDs and that sort of thing.

So then Curbishley came in as manager and I got on really well but he had a lot of bad luck. But where Curbs went wrong was that he would play one up front at home, which was not the West Ham way. Zola came in and was smashing bloke but way out of his depth and Avram’s not in the book so I don’t have to say how bad I think he was.

That whole thing with Pardew criticising you in public obviously affected you and there are other things in the book that clearly affected you, too. Reading it myself made feel as if I was being taken on this funny but emotional journey with you. Was that done deliberately? Did you want the reader to feel the emotions you felt when reading the book?

I think so, but I always wanted the reader to have a bit of a laugh because there was a lot of humour in it. Like, for example, when Pards used to invite me to his office before every game for a chat and a cuppa and we’ll work out what you’re going to say to the crowd. I kept going to see him but he’d either not be there or have someone with him and I never once got a cup of tea. I wanted to get the humour of that across.

That’s one thing that stands out in the book. Every negative side of your career had a humorous twist to it.

Well, yeah, if I bumped into Pards now I’d shake his hand and have a chat with him, have a laugh, but probably wouldn’t get a cup of tea out of him.
  • Options
    My aunt worked in the firm of builders / architects who built a big house for him and he use to come by the office quite regularly.

She says he behaved like a total bell every time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about trying humility and taking responsibility for your own actions Mr Pardew - you never know how we might react if we can get over the initial shock and amazement.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

>

cafctom said:

I think that's a very condescending attitude to take towards people who felt completely alienated and disconnected from their club at that time.

The really sad thing is, I feel just as alienated and disconnected from my club NOW, all these years later.

This.
  • Options
    Had the misfortune to sit beside him at an event once, slagged us off for being dropped for the first game back at The Valley despite the fact he had got "them" their first win at Barnsley for donkeys years. Also sat beside him at the 1992 European Cup Final (we paid for our tickets BTW, don't know about him), but even then had this breathtaking arrogance about him. Also asked a mate of mine to do a job for him for nothing but would endorse his business card. Exceptionally rude man, once had a pop at me for distracting the players by doing a ground tour, whilst all he wanted to do was rollock Hamer Bouazza (another roaring success) for being late. He got the sack that night. Obviously want him to fail miserably within his current employ but that night felt it was poetic justice. As for the disgraceful comment he made on Match of the Day once, proved the mark of the man.
  • Options
    In answer to his question, there is one thing he could do: lose tomorrow and go on a massive losing streak so that Norwood's branch of Sainsburys finds itself in a lower division.

Do that, and I would definitely warm to him.
  • Options

http://westhamworld.co.uk/interview-with-jeremy-nicholas-mr-moon-has-left-the-stadium/

West Ham stadium announcer but not as good as @BDL:

Then Alan Pardew came in......... He also like the razzmatazz, which was common at Reading, but I had to explain to him that West Ham is a traditional family club and it’s been done this way for years.

My god he must fit like a glove at Palace - I watch lots of MLS games & they are nowhere near as gimmicky as the goings on at little old CPFC
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

I've always thought the hatred towards him from Charlton fans was a bit over the top and forced. I don't really care for him that much these days. Somebody, somewhere down the line was going to be in charge of us when we were relegated from the Premier League, as we were never going to be there forever. It just happened to be him.

Yes, he would make excuses after losing games but then again many managers do.

The 'hate' towards him reminds me of the sort of abuse the likes of Darren Ambrose got from us after joining Palace, just all a little bit forced.

We've found our way back to the Championship, probably where we belong in the natural order of things and that blip with Pardew/Dowie has passed.

So Pardew just happened to be holding the cosmic bag when fate decided it was time for Charlton to be relegated? Personally I like to see a little bit more responsibility dished out and taken for horrendous, avoidable failings. Pardew was a bad manager, he turned on the players, the fans and the academy and there are countless first hand reports of Pardew being incredibly rude to internal staff as well. He was also instrumental in us falling to our lowest point in recent memory. So I don't excuse him for his time at the club just because we were apparently bound to get relegated eventually and have clawed our way back to higher ground. You can decide that's 'forced' if you want but personally I think that's a very condescending attitude to take towards people who felt completely alienated and disconnected from their club at that time.
    Charlton don't do 'hatred' very well, it often feels forced.

Again, all the reports of him being rude to people internally are typically people's own accounts and tellings rather than anything that happened publicly that we all know happened for sure. Not saying those people are lying by any means, but its hard for me to 'hate' someone based on somebody else's take on a person, and even more difficult for me to hate someone for not being a strong football manager whilst in charge of my club at a weekend.
    I have only met him once. Was fortunate enough to be invited to a dinner in one of the Park Lane hotels with the likes of JFH, Sheringham, Boothroyd (when in his Watford success years), Pardew ( just a few weeks into CAFC management) and others. Without fail, all of the footballers were polite and would talk for some time with the guests who had paid tickets as that was their job (they were being paid to be there). The only exception being Pardew who was not interested in talking to anybody.

Having said that, It did not really bother me, the reason I dislike him is because a) we were relegated under him and, far more importantly b) when relegated he was given very serious cash and spent the entire load on players who in no way were value accretive.

I think I remember correctly that Keith Peacock said Curbs spent money like it was his own, Pardew didn't. Murray was undoubtedly part to blame too.

As for Ambrose, not sure anyone has ever said they hated him. I thought he was garbage but I certainly did not hate him, which I think was a general consensus.
  • Options

As for the disgraceful comment he made on Match of the Day once, proved the mark of the man.

That comment seemed to get overlooked didn't it - what was the outcome / punishment?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

As for the disgraceful comment he made on Match of the Day once, proved the mark of the man.

That comment seemed to get overlooked didn't it - what was the outcome / punishment?
    He was dropped for a while, seems to have wormed his way back in.
  • Options
    Didn't get any, apart from never being likely to further his career in punditry.
  • Options
    Wow he even had a problem with the tea lady at westham then..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I think I remember hearing Pardew saying he starting out as a brickie, perhaps he thinks his humble beginnings give him the right to treat other people like dirt or fair game, whatever it is about him if we had a strong dislike button on here, I'd be pushing it everyday as soon as his name came up.
  • Options
    My thoughts on pardew..

• Options
    There is nothing you can do to change how Charlton fans feel about you?! Really?! Just say you're sorry you made a lot of mistakes during those two years and should take responsibility for our relegation and subsequent disaster that still haunts us to this day. It's not that hard to work out is it?
    ---------------------
    There's a Premier League section on the Chinese football forum I often go to and people on there have been saying what a great manager he is since last year. It's so painful to read what they say about him. They either have very short memory or have very little knowledge of clubs below the top four.
  • Options

I think I remember hearing Pardew saying he starting out as a brickie, perhaps he thinks his humble beginnings give him the right to treat other people like dirt or fair game, whatever it is about him if we had a strong dislike button on here, I'd be pushing it everyday as soon as his name came up.

He started out as a glazier and he has the personality of a double glazing salesman.
  • Options

There is nothing you can do to change how Charlton fans feel about you?! Really?! Just say you're sorry you made a lot of mistakes during those two years and should take responsibility for our relegation and subsequent disaster that still haunts us to this day. It's not that hard to work out is it?
    ---------------------
    There's a Premier League section on the Chinese football forum I often go to and people on there have been saying what a great manager he is since last year. It's so painful to read what they say about him. They either have very short memory or have very little knowledge of clubs below the top four.

This
  • Options

PL54 said:

He was dropped for a while, seems to have wormed his way back in.
    This sounds juicy... what are you talking about!?