Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

It's not you, its me..

I’ve been addickted since the mid-seventies, worshipping the likes of Tutt, Hales and Flanagan. At 14 I went to the away game Cardiff with my mates without telling my parents (got grounded for a month), I went religiously to Selhurst Park and the Boleyn. I’ve had a season ticket since the return of the valley, and also bought Season Tickets for both my sons. We’ve even got a stone at Addicks Place.

So I hope you agree that I’ve been loyal through thick and thin.

This season I didn’t renew, I no longer feel that I’ve any connection with the club, I no longer looked forward to going and saw it as a chore. I thought I would pick my games this season and missing a few games might spark off my love and get a half ST at Christmas.

So, I’ve been to 2 home games so far, and my feeling haven’t changed, I have complete apathy for the occasion and found myself looking at my phone rather than watch the game.

I feel like I’ve betrayed the club I love, what’s wrong with me?

Comments

• I'm assuming your 2 home games weren't QPR and Hull !
  • "So, I’ve been to 2 home games so far, and my feeling haven’t changed, I have complete apathy for the occasion and found myself looking at my phone rather than watch the game."

If the 2 games you went to were Rotherham and Huddersfield, hard to disagree.

but if it was QPR and Hull with the fantastic celebration at the end with Luzon swallow dive then i'm baffled.
  • It was Rotherham and Huddersfield, but I feel this goes back further than this season.
  • edited September 2015

Nothing. People and their interests / commitments evolve through life's journey. It may come back, it may not.

If we had won the last three games, I suspect this would not have been a consideration.

• It was Rotherham and Huddersfield, but I feel this goes back further than this season.

I thought so.

I thought so.
    So did I as he said so in his first post : - )
  • Lucky nobody died
  • Sponsored links:

I thought so.
    So did I as he said so in his first post : - )
    he didn't say what his 2 games were
  • edited September 2015

I'm assuming your 2 home games weren't QPR and Hull !

Great minds think alike !
    it was obvious Pete the addick, when you been to only 2 games they were'nt the first two. (the problems were off the field then with the S/t situation

Ok,Pete did you go to Brentford and Huddesfield or Forest at home last season and feel flat ? if the answer is yes then find a new hobby because it won't get any better than that.

I'm not talking about the off the field issues.

Ps for Henry ?

The first time Pete the addict mentioned Rotherham and Huddersfield was 4 minutes
    and 2 mins after we had posed the question ?
  • I’ve been addickted since the mid-seventies, worshipping the likes of Tutt, Hales and Flanagan. At 14 I went to the away game Cardiff with my mates without telling my parents (got grounded for a month), I went religiously to Selhurst Park and the Boleyn. I’ve had a season ticket since the return of the valley, and also bought Season Tickets for both my sons. We’ve even got a stone at Addicks Place.

So I hope you agree that I’ve been loyal through thick and thin.

This season I didn’t renew, I no longer feel that I’ve any connection with the club, I no longer looked forward to going and saw it as a chore. I thought I would pick my games this season and missing a few games might spark off my love and get a half ST at Christmas.

So, I’ve been to 2 home games so far, and my feeling haven’t changed, I have complete apathy for the occasion and found myself looking at my phone rather than watch the game.

I feel like I’ve betrayed the club I love, what’s wrong with me?

'Charlton 'till I die' sung loud and proud at Selhurst on Wednesday. Perhaps it should be 'Charlton 'till I lose any connection with the Club and I stop going'.
  • This Roland hate is so stupid and irrational
  • This Roland hate is so stupid and irrational

Except there hasn't been any Roland hate on here. In fact, he's hardly been mentioned.
  • It's not Charlton but football in general I have fallen out of love with. It does impact on my Charlton love affair. I can understand the OP exactly regarding betrayal.

For me it's English football. Elsewhere in the world I love going to games. Great atmospheres, cheap tickets, good food, cheap beer (that you can still drink in your seat). As the corporate machine rolls on in this country I have very little time for it.
  • The Roland hate doesn't have to be mentioned as I comes across in most comments now without names being mentioned and these falling out of love with Charlton comments have only happened and the Roland reign and Powell sacking
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't hate Roland, I dislike his current approach to our club because it is eroding my passion for our club , which pre his ownership would have been unthinkable and I don't think I'm on my own

In fairness though it was hardley Champions League and annual trips to Wembley before they took over.
  • edited September 2015

I don't hate Roland, I dislike his current approach to our club because it is eroding my passion for our club , which pre his ownership would have been unthinkable and I don't think I'm on my own

I'm probably the same, I dont hate RD.
  • MrLargo said:

I don't hate Roland, I dislike his current approach to our club because it is eroding my passion for our club , which pre his ownership would have been unthinkable and I don't think I'm on my own

In fairness though it was hardley Champions League and annual trips to Wembley before they took over.
    Think you're missing the point. Don't recall anyone demanding that before Roland turned up.
    It was an exaggeration.

Point being we were just as crap without them yet some only lose their passion when its a foreign owner.

Passion doesn't come from who owns the club. They all do it different ways.

If you look back pre Brentford at home last season it was the same old stuff. Then we started blitzing teams and the Roland lovers were all you could hear.

A couple of wins and it all goes away again until we start losing again and round and round we go.

• A couple of wins and it all goes away again until we start losing again and round and round we go.

Don't worry it's there with me win or lose and I presume quite a few others who love Charlton no matter what and just get on with it
    the lucky ones are those that don't feel as detached from our club as I currently do
    and no one would have ever been in to Charlton more than me , plenty would have been in to us as much as me but no one more so
  • As you get older you get other thoughts in your head. Sometimes at football if it's not going the way we want. I have sometimes been looking down my phone. Better looking on phone at football than when you are behind the steering wheel. But football is different from when we were kids for sure. The game has changed. The kids coming in today will think it's the norm even though they are are told it was different by the parents and grandparents etc. Then in 10, 15 or 20 etc from now the kids coming in today will be saying how the game has changed from when they were kids. Bt those football as kids days are always special memories.

Petetheaddick, I like the way you said you snuck to Cardiff as a 14 year old. When I was 14 myself my brother snuck my down to away game down at Pompey in our 95/96 play-off year when we lost to the stripey nigels. We lost 1-2 and our goal was credited as an og though the announcer gave it Stuart Balmer I think. But getting both Portsmouth's goals would go on to play for us 13 or so years later, a certain Deon Burton. But my Dad never found out and nor did my Mum as she was out the country that weekend. I just told my Dad we was going up town that day. At the time I worshipped the likes of Nelson, Leaburn, Salmon etc. Those were the days.
  • I have been a regular since 1961. In all honesty pretty much all those years bar the Curbs era the team and very often the club as well have how shall I put it been pretty shit.

We lost our home because it was an unsafe eyesore of a dump. We've had very little to cheer about so when Murray and Curbs and Varney worked their magic I think we all thought that we could go on to remain in the top flight. It didn't work out apart from those magical years of beating the best and seeing Phoenix Valley grow into the fine stadium it currently is.

I'm happy that the club is financially secure first and foremost. We are at the level that I've supported Charlton the most. Not too much has changed in that respect since 1961.

The club is in safe hands. Not spending money we don't have and not owned by some crook or shyster.

For now I'm happy that I can see a little progress. RD gets my support unless things change.

• A couple of wins and it all goes away again until we start losing again and round and round we go.

Don't worry it's there with me win or lose and I presume quite a few others who love Charlton no matter what and just get on with it
    the lucky ones are those that don't feel as detached from our club as I currently do
    and no one would have ever been in to Charlton more than me , plenty would have been in to us as much as me but no one more so
    Fair enough. I get that from your posts. But i still feel many get too low when we are losing and too high when we are winning.