Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's not you, its me..

Comments

• Options
    religiously... chore... love... apathy... betrayed... pain

If I suffered an existential crisis supporting a club I'd probably stop going; but then I never would because I realise it's only a bloody game of football whoever's running the show.
    Pull yourself together,man.
  • Options

I've seen a lot worse Charlton teams than the current one, but I felt connected to them, their pain was also mine. Don't have that feeling anymore .

I think that it is the point but it is very much the way with modern football - especially outside the top flight and is reflected by the way that the management/playing squad changes so quickly.

Back in the 70s you could reasonably expect 75%-80% of the previous years squad to still be at the Club the following season. Now it's probably nearer to the 30%-40% mark so, by the time two seasons have elapsed, just a few are left. In our case, probably only Jackson, Solly and Cousins had actually played for us two years ago and JJ is hardly part of the "playing" squad now.

I would actually liken this to my attitude to horse racing. With the flat the very best horses very often only run in total half a dozen times before they are sent off to stud. With the jumps a horse might run in National Hunt flat races, then hurdles and then chasing and run 50 plus races in his or her potential 8-10 year career. The former are here today and gone tomorrow whereas the latter you look forward to returning each year.
  • Options

I've seen a lot worse Charlton teams than the current one, but I felt connected to them, their pain was also mine. Don't have that feeling anymore .

Well you say that now but I bet in the past when we've lost games with other teams you've been shaking your fist, and frothing from the mouth like a duck with a hernia, screaming for the manager's head.

• Options

Well you say that now but I bet in the past when we've lost games with other teams you've been shaking your fist, and frothing from the mouth like a duck with a hernia, screaming for the manager's head.

Most certainly but again times were different as managers didn't change as rapidly as they do nowadays so they were given time to turn things around and for want of a better phrase become part of the furniture.

Look at our history - in the 86 years between 1920 and 2006 we had 16 managers. In the last nine years we've had nine!
  • Options
    I'm quite the opposite to you Pete

gave up my ST 4/5 years ago but have really got the bug back now

will prob get a half st at christmas!
  • Options

he doesn't give appear to give a flying f**k about the fans at least Murray and co appeared to have some empathy towards us

What evidence do you have for this comment? I think Roland has got into football because of the community supporting a local club. He has shown that with various investments.
  • Options

I have been a regular since 1961. In all honesty pretty much all those years bar the Curbs era the team and very often the club as well have how shall I put it been pretty shit.

We lost our home because it was an unsafe eyesore of a dump. We've had very little to cheer about so when Murray and Curbs and Varney worked their magic I think we all thought that we could go on to remain in the top flight. It didn't work out apart from those magical years of beating the best and seeing Phoenix Valley grow into the fine stadium it currently is.

I'm happy that the club is financially secure first and foremost. We are at the level that I've supported Charlton the most. Not too much has changed in that respect since 1961.

The club is in safe hands. Not spending money we don't have and not owned by some crook or shyster.

For now I'm happy that I can see a little progress. RD gets my support unless things change.

This 100%
  • Options

Why? I don't get this at all. You love the club/team, not the owners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suppose when you can go from this to jumping about after a late winner vs. Hull - the Charlton bug is catchable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qroJLsECsFY
  • Options
    edited September 2015

THIS.

We had the Gliksten family for 50 odd years.
    The only time we didn't look to sell players was under Richard Murray,
    Until Scott Parker had his head turned by the Russian money.

Roland Duchatelet in not the best owner we had ?
    but he's far from the worst. ( so far in his tenure )

After seeing Roland's views on the world it's no wonder Katrien found it difficult to get across his master plan.
  • Options

For me they have brought a different split. I love the club (its history, its fans and the valley) not the owner and his team.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to Richard Murray, he is still chairman and used to talk to the fans, or has RD told him not to say anything unless told what to say by him?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Whatever happened to Richard Murray, he is still chairman and used to talk to the fans, or has RD told him not to say anything unless told what to say by him?

He is non executive Chairman, which means he has about as much power/clout as you or I.

Yes he was retained as a possible English mouthpiece/spokesperson and maybe to give a view, but that's about it.
  • Options

ross1 said:

He is non executive Chairman, which means he has about as much power/clout as you or I.

Yes he was retained as a possible English mouthpiece/spokesperson and maybe to give a view, but that's about it.
    But he never says anything, except at Henry's meetings
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

I'm not sure he has even been to a Bromley meeting since the takeover. For many years he used to do a Q&A at the end of the season for Bromley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No matter how bad things get I just keep reminding myself I will be going to our club a lot longer than RD and KM or whatever owner is in charge will be there.

You have to have bad times to appreciate the good!
  • Options
    Carter said:

I'm not, I have only been going to football for at least since 2009 purely for a beer with my mates I can easily see why people, loyal people like @oohaahmortimer are at their wits end.

What @Carter is politely trying to say is you all need to start drinking with me to rescue the 'match day experience'

Cheers mate.

• Options
    ross1 said:

Probably the latter.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

No matter how bad things get I just keep reminding myself I will be going to our club a lot longer than RD and KM or whatever owner is in charge will be there.

You have to have bad times to appreciate the good!

And you'd be 100% correct. The main brace has to be spliced occasionally to raise morale though.

I will say I always appreciated Richard Murray, Derek Ufton etc without really knowing what they did (I don't know any of them personally to guess at that) because I think anyone with money would have to be mental to put it into a football club so for the times we had under them ill always be appreciative but a lot of moving parts also had to come together to give us them good times
  • Options

Carter said:

I'm not, I have only been going to football for at least since 2009 purely for a beer with my mates I can easily see why people, loyal people like @oohaahmortimer are at their wits end.

What @Carter is politely trying to say is you all need to start drinking with me to rescue the 'match day experience'

Cheers mate.

You buying then AFKA? Could get expensive very quickly :-)
  • Options

The Roland hate doesn't have to be mentioned as I comes across in most comments now without names being mentioned and these falling out of love with Charlton comments have only happened and the Roland reign and Powell sacking

You know, I think actually we started to lose affinity in Pardew's second year, and League One didn't help anyone. When Powell arrived, almost by accident, he brought a certain hope that 'Charlton are back'. I think his sacking felt appalling, not so much because we'd lost a manager we liked - that happens all the time - but because perhaps that hope for the Charlton we once knew finally evaporated.

Maybe it needed to die, maybe it was inevitable - but I guess we have a choice really: fall in love with the new Charlton these guys are putting together, or walk away. I don't feel quite the same anymore to be honest, but I have getting older and other things like a 9 month old daughter to change my worldview. I guess for some the new Charlton, well - in the words of the king - "she's not you".
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The opposite of love is not hate but indifference

- Elie Wiesel
  • Options
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

Point of order. They are not "Henry's" meetings. They are Bromley Addicks meetings of which I am just one of the committee members. I just publicise them.

And RM also did Q & As for years for VIPs, shareholders, other supporters groups and even a secret one for the Trust, not just Bromley.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

The opposite of love is not hate but indifference anal

- Elie Wiesel

Ozaddick