Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Options
    If the USA MUST insist on the "right to bare arms" then authorise everyone to have just a single revolver with just 6 bullets. 

They can then "defend" themselves from an intruder & not be a danger to the rest of the community. Anyone found with anything else gets locked up for 20 years.

Simple.

Wont ever happen though because the problem isnt to do with the constitution or having the ability to defend themselves against an intruder. 

Yep, good idea. My US brother in law has 12 guns - ridiculous and scary when we visit.

As regards your assertion Golfie re ‘the right to bare arms’ - if an American wants to wear a cap sleeve t-shirt, I haven’t got a problem with that.
  • Options
    Yeah, but knife crime...
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    It's bear arms ... like these?

Grizzly Bear Arms  Tom Murphy Photography
    But could a bear bear arms if it had bare arms... 
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Big                                             Paws

• Options
    Yeah, but knife crime...
    That's significantly higher in the US than it is here, but you don't hear about it due to the overwhelming amount of gun crime.
  • Options
    Yeah, but knife crime...
    That's significantly higher in the US than it is here, but you don't hear about it due to the overwhelming amount of gun crime.
    The thing that amazes me the most is the amount of them who believe they are living in the greatest country in the world.
  • Options
    The problem is that so many criminals will be armed in one way or another, so not unnaturally many law abiding citizens will go for the option of owning a firearm.
    Most wish they didn’t have to do this but if I lived there I certainly (though reluctantly), would want one.
    If they asked everyone to hand in their weapons does anyone seriously think that criminals will follow suit, of course not.
    My friends girl friend in Oakland California, going back to the 70’s, was asleep in her apartment and became aware of an intruder entering her bedroom. She had a gun on her bedside table, she shot the fella stone dead and only later found out he was armed with a large knife.
    What option did she have, answer is none, you don’t wait to find out in The States and you have the right to defend yourself if an unwelcome person or criminal enters your home, the issue never even went to court and in fact there was never the remotest chance that it would.
    Everyone applauded her, she became quite a celebrity for a while and appeared on several TV news stations…damned if I can remember her name now.🤔
    So there you have it….he could just as easily have had a firearm himself, she simply wasn’t going to wait to find out!
    It’s a Catch 22 issue though………..that’s for sure.
    It's one thing defending yourself from an intruder with a pistol..... its another to go out with semi automatic and gun down innocents in a school or a bank. 

If you cant see the difference then I see where the problem is in the US. 
    Really……how stupid I am not to know that,I really should get out more. 🤨
    I lived in California for 3 years, a long while back mind you and I am fully aware of the difference, anyway my comment didn’t touch upon the subject of different types of firearms did it. So you assumed I don’t know of the different types of weapons debate that has been going on for a long while now (even when I lived there)……get real fella. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    iaitch said:

But could a bear bear arms if it had bare arms... 
    FFS ! 

I thought it was stated in the US Constitution that citizens MUST wear long sleeved garments at all times.
  • Options
    Believe me, a lot of people in America know they have a gun problem. But, they are powerless to do anything about it. Like I said above, this issue is political, idiotic and seemingly unresolvable. It’s in the hands of the politicians who, for some reason, are very reluctant to do anything about it. Baffles me. What you need is a child of a prominent politician to be impacted by this. That would change things. What’s the likelihood of that though! They make sure to protect themselves. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:
    Believe me, a lot of people in America know they have a gun problem. But, they are powerless to do anything about it. Like I said above, this issue is political, idiotic and seemingly unresolvable. It’s in the hands of the politicians who, for some reason, are very reluctant to do anything about it. Baffles me. What you need is a child of a prominent politician to be impacted by this. That would change things. What’s the likelihood of that though! They make sure to protect themselves. 
    Six serving Presidents have been shot.  If that's not enough to prevent the proliferation of arms among mad, dangerous and stupid people, nothing will be. 
  • Options
    The main issue now is the mass shootings at schools and the number of innocent children who are being killed. It’s taken on a new level but still they can’t get their act together. Presidents have paid bodyguards and know the risks associated with the job. Children don’t. 
  • Options
    Yeah, but knife crime...
    The thing that amazes me the most is the amount of them who believe they are living in the greatest country in the world.
    The USA is one of the greatest countries in the world.
    Apart from healthcare, guns and the average American, it's definitely up there. 
  • Options
    Yeah, but knife crime...
    ...if it wasn't for the Americans.
  • Options
    Yeah, but knife crime...
    I think he’s being ironic.
  • Options
    NRA shill and Alabama state governor Kay Ivey recently removed the requirement to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
    Citing all the usual distorted "2nd amendment" horse shit about "Americans' rights" in one stroke of her pen made it even easier for some loathsome organism to wander into an enclosed space and commence slaughter without anyone having any possible way of knowing he was armed.  But y'know "Americans' rights" and y'know "2nd amendment"
    Nothing on any kid's right not to get slain at a birthday party

Alabama's gun ownership regulation is as lax/mental as just about anywhere.
    Never forget the absolute "coincidence" of the formal incorporation of the NRA and the proscription of the KKK.
    They are entirely unrelated of course.
    And I'm typing this on the International Space Station  🤡
  • Options
    I'm not being ironic- it's a country where the average salary is high vs EU, buying a house is still relatively achievable, and where you can comfortably run 2 cars without breaking the bank.

Yes it's not a great place to live if you're poor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the USA MUST insist on the "right to bare arms" then authorise everyone to have just a single revolver with just 6 bullets. 

They can then "defend" themselves from an intruder & not be a danger to the rest of the community. Anyone found with anything else gets locked up for 20 years.

Simple.

Wont ever happen though because the problem isnt to do with the constitution or having the ability to defend themselves against an intruder. 

Not going to do much against a corrupt government which is what the constitution is about. 

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

• Options
    Anyone country with that frequency of innocent children dying is a dump. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    A good friend of mine lives in Atlanta. He’s not really a politics guy but has voted Dem more than GOP. He announced to me recently that he was building an area in his basement to keep his guns. I was quite shocked that he had a gun let’s alone guns, as I’ve known him a long while and he’d never mentioned it once. He then said that he had recently spent $10k on a gun. He’s got a few quid but my levels of amazement increased when he told me how much he’d spent on his arsenal. When I asked why, he said it was to protect his family and he wanted the best gear.
    People say it’s political but I think it’s more than that. I doubt any of us will see the abolition of the right to bear arms in our lifetime. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    A good friend of mine lives in Atlanta. He’s not really a politics guy but has voted Dem more than GOP. He announced to me recently that he was building an area in his basement to keep his guns. I was quite shocked that he had a gun let’s alone guns, as I’ve known him a long while and he’d never mentioned it once. He then said that he had recently spent $10k on a gun. He’s got a few quid but my levels of amazement increased when he told me how much he’d spent on his arsenal. When I asked why, he said it was to protect his family and he wanted the best gear.
    People say it’s political but I think it’s more than that. I doubt any of us will see the abolition of the right to bear arms in our lifetime. 
    Hard to know if you would buy a gun in his scenario. With all the criminals having guns you would be tempted in case of home invasion.

Of course the risk of dying because you accidently shoot yourself/get shot is much higher than dying from a burglar because you don't have a gun.
  • Options
    Buying more guns in order to defend yourself from a burglar isn't as cheap, safe or effective as buying better door locks. 
  • Options
    The level of fear that Americans seem to have (is it just white Americans?) that you can shoot a black kid because he rings your doorbell

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65316073

Horrific. And the police questioned this guy and let him go. You can't separate out the gun nonsense from the racism that's behind IMO. 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    The level of fear that Americans seem to have (is it just white Americans?) that you can shoot a black kid because he rings your doorbell

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65316073

Horrific. And the police questioned this guy and let him go. You can't separate out the gun nonsense from the racism that's behind IMO. 
    The whole story is shocking. An old racist with a gun feels threatened by the sight of a black kid and shoots them - presumably he'll get off.