Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    It seems there is a new case each month being updated on here! Truly shocking! 
    It is indeed shocking. But I guess it'd be like this in any country where guns can be legally owned by people. Every time we see a news piece about some random violent killing in my country, we'd say "thank goodness people can't buy guns here."

I don't think the situation in the US will change as long as they're allowed to have guns (and so easy to purchase them) there.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    If only people had more guns out there, that would solve the problem.
    I know your only joking, in Tel Aviv at the weekend however a Palestinian was shot by an armed civilian after driving into a crowd of people in a busy shopping street. No I'm not saying everyone should be armed but in that case it probably saved life's. 
  • Options
    I know your only joking, in Tel Aviv at the weekend however a Palestinian was shot by an armed civilian after driving into a crowd of people in a busy shopping street. No I'm not saying everyone should be armed but in that case it probably saved life's. 
    It is definitely also a cultural thing and what people view guns as being for.

America has the highest civilian count of guns, at a staggering 1.2 guns per civilian.
    Second place for context is the Falkland Islands at 62.1
    Canada, the civilised cousins of the Americans, 34.7.

You just don't hear of the same level of violence per capita in these places. The murder rate in the USA is 23 times higher than Canada.

• Options
    Huskaris said:

America has the highest civilian count of guns, at a staggering 1.2 guns per civilian.

You just don't hear of the same level of violence per capita in these places. The murder rate in the USA is 23 times higher than Canada.

62 guns per civilian seems quite a lot for the Falklands
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Huskaris said:

Ready for a bit of argy-bargy?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Huskaris said:

Gotta keep them pesky penguins under control somehow. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Huskaris said:

Argh, decimal points, that's per 100 for the other 2. 

But I think you knew that  :#
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Definately it's about what guns are used for. I'm now living in Sweden and the couple living next door, she has a gun at home under license as she goes hunting and takes the 16 year old son with her (husband doesn't hunt). They hunt for moose, wild boar and deer etc and any kill is shared out amongst the hunting party (you couldn't take a moose home by yourself, they are like a cow on steroids) . Now as me and my wife are vegetarians, our invite round for dinner was met with confusion when we queried a menu without meat, but they have eaten at ours many tines now, so no hard feelings either way.

Back on topic. If people are taught that guns are for hunting and not to shoot people, then society can use them safely (in the main).

There does exist an increasing gun violence issue in Sweden with foreign gangs, which has got worse over the last decade, which is mainly contained in the bigger cities of Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö. This of course is fuel for the far right politicians who are in the ascendency, however this does not encourage gun ownership for personal protection, like in the US. 

• Options
    Let them keep their guns.
    It's enshrined in their constitution.

Ban the sale of all ammunition instead.

Gund dont kill people.
    Ammunition kills people.
  • Options
    I respect people's desire for minimal government and think it's one of the right's strong principles, but some regulation in society is needed. A free market for guns is obviously absurd.

I was in San Antonio a few weeks ago and was chatting to a very friendly but odd fella about hunting at a local watering hole. The more he drank the more volatile he got, and I did make a point of avoiding him out of fear of upsetting him. I knew he had a truck outside and would almost certainly have a gun. It's not outside the phantoms of possibility that he could have just shot me. Hundreds of people get shot every week out there. Crazy but that's Texas.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I respect people's desire for minimal government and think it's one of the right's strong principles, but some regulation in society is needed. A free market for guns is obviously absurd.

I was in San Antonio a few weeks ago and was chatting to a very friendly but odd fella about hunting at a local watering hole. The more he drank the more volatile he got, and I did make a point of avoiding him out of fear of upsetting him. I knew he had a truck outside and would almost certainly have a gun. It's not outside the phantoms of possibility that he could have just shot me. Hundreds of people get shot every week out there. Crazy but that's Texas.

Alcohol and guns, that's an extremely dangerous combination.
  • Options

Sorry mate, I'll try and be a bit more reserved next time!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I've seen some shit over the years and thought I'd become largely immune to all this now, but this is truly shocking - shot dead and her unborn baby dead too all for suspected shoplifting? Why has he even drawn his gun ffs!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66690408

• Options
    That is sickening. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Definately it's about what guns are used for. I'm now living in Sweden and the couple living next door, she has a gun at home under license as she goes hunting and takes the 16 year old son with her (husband doesn't hunt). They hunt for moose, wild boar and deer etc and any kill is shared out amongst the hunting party (you couldn't take a moose home by yourself, they are like a cow on steroids) . Now as me and my wife are vegetarians, our invite round for dinner was met with confusion when we queried a menu without meat, but they have eaten at ours many tines now, so no hard feelings either way.

Back on topic. If people are taught that guns are for hunting and not to shoot people, then society can use them safely (in the main).

There does exist an increasing gun violence issue in Sweden with foreign gangs, which has got worse over the last decade, which is mainly contained in the bigger cities of Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö. This of course is fuel for the far right politicians who are in the ascendency, however this does not encourage gun ownership for personal protection, like in the US. 

You can if you go to The Millers.
  • Options
    18 dead, 13 injured and the suspected killer is still on the run.
  • Options
    565 mass shootings in the USA so far this year. 
  • Options
    Does anyone outside of the USA believe it's the greatest country in earth in 2023?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems not all Americans think so. 

• Options
    There are enough things to worry about already without having the possibility of you or yours getting shot and killed by some lunatic with a freely available automatic weapon. Great country but with more nutters per square inch than The New Den. 
  • Options
    It would appear that more and more Americans are realising that the brainwashing they receive at school about the US being the best at everything is clearly not true.  

For those that do escape for more than a holiday, to almost any country in the world, free health care and a much better work life balance quickly put the US to shame.  It's no contest. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Yeah well we can all criticise but that shooter has been found dead by a self inflicted gunshot wound. 

Guns also put an end to this tragedy, what we need is more guns, clearly. 

What a country. 
  • Options
    Hex said:
    It would appear that more and more Americans are realising that the brainwashing they receive at school about the US being the best at everything is clearly not true.  

For those that do escape for more than a holiday, to almost any country in the world, free health care and a much better work life balance quickly put the US to shame.  It's no contest. 
    I've always enjoyed how Republican Americans love their country. For most of the time it's a very good thing. On the flipside telling young kids that the country they live in is racist and homophobic is very unhelpful, especially when for the most part it is not true.
  • Options
    Sixth Grader Is Killed and 5 Others Injured in Iowa School Shooting 

• Options
    Chizz said:

Horrendous. How can anyone justify a 17 year old having access to a pump action shotgun. 4 days into 2024 and already a school shooting. Rather than change their laws to prevent this happening again we have to sadly expect this to not be the last school shooting in 2024
  • Options
    follett said:
    Chizz said:

Horrendous. How can anyone justify a 17 year old having access to a pump action shotgun. 4 days into 2024 and already a school shooting. Rather than change their laws to prevent this happening again we have to sadly expect this to not be the last school shooting in 2024
    It won’t be the last shooting this January