Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:
     Ferrari are quick but every weekend seem to be found lacking in one department or other.
    Wait until the Ferrari's get to the next two GPs after the summer break. Both Spa and Monza will suit their engine.
    Agree - but save for those races, they are too far back to get into either championship. Too many tracks they will struggle at 
    They will be favourites on those tracks, but they have a great ability to cock things up and even if they don't, they have shot their bolt this season.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
     Ferrari are quick but every weekend seem to be found lacking in one department or other.
    Wait until the Ferrari's get to the next two GPs after the summer break. Both Spa and Monza will suit their engine.
    That’s exactly my point though. Weekends where their car is best suited to the track they have found other ways to lose. Driver errors, reliability or strategy calls. One way or another they haven’t managed to pull everything together for a single race weekend. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Excellent race, for very different reasons to last week’s chaos. Magic final stint from Lewis and Merc’s strategists redeeming themselves from Germany. 

I still cant stand Verstappen, almost as much as I dislike Christian Horner’s smug face, so never sad to see Red Bull lose but it’s good to see a team with the combination of car, driver, and pit wall team capable of giving Merc and Hamilton a genuine test. Ferrari are quick but every weekend seem to be found lacking in one department or other.
    I can’t stand Verstappen either. I think it’s as simple as me hating his face. Horner bothers me less, I think he’s pretty sensible/ honest. 

If Leclerc vs Verstappen is to be the next big rivalry in F1 though, I think I have already chosen my side. 
    Leclerc has had 33 starts and 2 poles already. This was Verstappen's first pole in his 93rd GP.
    Time will tell who is quicker. I’m inclined to think Verstappen will ha e a slight edge over their careers but Leclerc seems like a much nicer person so I hope he wins more than Max. 
  • Options
    cafckev said:
    Verstappen is a great driver, whether we like him or not.
    His Dad was better 
    Perhaps not!
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    LenGlover said:
    If any fans of Formula 1 do look at the linked page I'd be interested to know whether or not they think it is any good.
  • Options
    It's Belgian Grand Prix this weekend.  Surely we don't need a race to know who is the Grandest Prix in that country.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I don't really like Hamilton but he was mid interview when the massive formula 2 crash happened and seemed very concerned and just left the interview.
    Clearly cares about his fellow competitors.

the crash for anybody who hasn't seen it.
    hope hes ok but his car basically split in half.

Edit : added a spoiler of the aftermath.
    and Hamiltons response.

• Options
    Christ almighty!!!
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    I don't really like Hamilton but he was mid interview when the massive formula 2 crash happened and seemed very concerned and just left the interview.
    Clearly cares about his fellow competitors.

the crash for anybody who hasn't seen it.
    hope hes ok but his car basically split in half.
    But if I do that on the A13 people call me a rubber necker. I'm just concerned...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    will the GP go ahead tomorrow?
  • Options
    Am sorry to hear that, its a small world.

I got a decent way up the racing pyramid before calling it time due to concern for my families finances at my expense, one of my main rivals races in the GT series for le mans nowadays so I'd like to think I know a decent amount, but if its any consolation to you it truly is a freak accident. Early indications are that he survived the Initial crash with minor Injuries it was the followup blow that appears to have been the fatal one. Which In of itself appears to also be freak in that the survival pod itself is still intact.

• Options
    will the GP go ahead tomorrow?
    Unsure, no word yet, most teams have cancelled all media appointments etc. 
    The last comparable incident was imola 94 when ratzenberger died in qualifying and the race went on the following day but times have changed. 
  • Options
    It reminds us that motor racing is still dangerous, but also how far it has come safety wise when something like this is a genuine shock. Very, very sad. R.I.P.
  • Options
    Awful crash, with the worst possible outcome. Tragic.
    As Muttley says, it reminds us that it’s still such a dangerous sport. 

• Options
    Back to the racing this weekend.
    Vettel shows yet again how awful he is when things aren’t going his way.
    Driver error means he spins off, but he then re-enters the race directly in Stroll’s path. Absolutely idiotic, dangerous and thoughtless. I hope they throw the book at him. After the tragic events of last week, he could’ve caused another tragedy.
    (Lance Stroll did exactly the same straight after too. He may have been angry at Vettel, but there’s no excuse.)
  • Options
    Back to the racing this weekend.
    Vettel shows yet again how awful he is when things aren’t going his way.
    Driver error means he spins off, but he then re-enters the race directly in Stroll’s path. Absolutely idiotic, dangerous and thoughtless. I hope they throw the book at him. After the tragic events of last week, he could’ve caused another tragedy.
    (Lance Stroll did exactly the same straight after too. He may have been angry at Vettel, but there’s no excuse.)
    Leclerc is making him look like an amateur. 
  • Options
    Just seen this thread & is timely as I was thinking about setting up a new one to (lightly) ask the following......

Seeing as Hamilton has enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life & has won a number of world titles (as well as this years one), do you not think he could now really challenge himself by driving for a not so good team / car. Seems a bit pointless now him driving for Mercedes & winning every week (or almost every week). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can Leclerc make it 2 in a row.
  • Options
    Just seen this thread & is timely as I was thinking about setting up a new one to (lightly) ask the following......

Seeing as Hamilton has enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life & has won a number of world titles (as well as this years one), do you not think he could now really challenge himself by driving for a not so good team / car. Seems a bit pointless now him driving for Mercedes & winning every week (or almost every week). 
    Hamilton wants Schumacher’s record of 7 world titles.
  • Options
    Shame to see the classless Italian idiots booing Hamilton on the podium. Just enjoy a great Ferrari victory you wankers.
  • Options
    Decent drive by Leclerc. Never want Ferrari to win for, amongst other reasons, the one mentioned by @DaveMehmet above.
    However, Leclerc did well this weekend while simultaneously making Vettel look useless, so I’ll take that.
  • Options
    As an aside, I watched on ESPN today, and before the race, they showed an interview with Billy Monger.
    If you don’t know the name, he’s the driver who, a couple of years ago, aged 17 (I think), hit a stalled car at full speed in junior racing and ended up having both legs amputated. He then returned to racing in an adapted car less than a year later.
    Billy spoke really well and seems such a nice, down to earth kid from a regular, ordinary family. A really inspirational character.
  • Options
    Overall, Ferrari haven't hurt Mercedes and Hamilton is going to remain happy. These last two races suited Ferrari. What would worry me if I was Mercedes would be next season. This season the advantage of the overall package as hidden the fact that the Ferrari engine is better, but if Ferrari do a better job on the car next season..... 
  • Options
    Shame Leclerc didn’t find this pace and consistency easier 
  • Options
    Leclerc should have 2 more race wins this season, and Vettel should have won in Canada, so the title fight should be a lot closer.

The thing I don't understand is that last season Ferrari had a much better overall package with a car that wasn't bad on low downforce tracks, had supreme traction for places like Singapore, and only needed a tweak on higher downforce tracks to be the best team, instead they chased a low downforce, high top speed car that is only suited to a third of the circuits at best
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Leclerc should have 2 more race wins this season, and Vettel should have won in Canada, so the title fight should be a lot closer.

The thing I don't understand is that last season Ferrari had a much better overall package with a car that wasn't bad on low downforce tracks, had supreme traction for places like Singapore, and only needed a tweak on higher downforce tracks to be the best team, instead they chased a low downforce, high top speed car that is only suited to a third of the circuits at best
    Could have had, NOT should have had.