Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Will our Lewis no longer fly around the world or drive high CO2 emitting cars round and round in circles at least twice a fornight for six months or so each year?

The usual well worn authoritarian mantra of 'Do as I say not as I do' from yet another entitled celebrity / politician.

• Options
    If they are all going veggie, maybe they can power the cars with their farts...  get that Swedish schoolgirl to blather on about it.
  • Options
    He probably should have shut up. He can say the odd silly thing. But he is a great driver,
  • Options
    Silly thing to say yes but I believe the majority of F1 teams are now actually carbon neutral (that includes travel to races). Not forgetting that advances made in F1 trickle down to car manufacturers for every day use.
  • Options

It's very easy to preach to people and be virtuous after earning tens of millions of pounds that enables you to hire people to cater to your every, knee-jerk, whim.

It will come as no surprise that Lewis didn't have this epiphany when he was skint.

• Options
    F1 buys carbon credits in order to make itself ‘carbon neutral’, these carbon credits arise from replanting initiatives, forest saving initiatives etc.

Doesn’t mean that they don’t burn up a huge amount of carbon flying around, making and driving the cars bit if the car bin credit initiatives are genuinely additive, and it’s this that I doubt, it’s not that bad. 
  • Options
    Another masterclass from Hamilton. Not quite enough to clinch the title but 4 more points will.
  • Options
    Another masterclass from Hamilton. Not quite enough to clinch the title but 4 more points will.
    Yeah, good drive. Good strategy from the team too.
    I do wish he’d put his hands up and say he was wrong when he’s proven wrong though. He was bitching about the strategy when it was far too early to tell. Almost like he was getting his excuses in early. 
    He thanked his team as usual, but it just felt like he should’ve said something like “Fair play, I wasn’t convinced at the time, but they were right”.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do wish he’d put his hands up and say he was wrong when he’s proven wrong though. He was bitching about the strategy when it was far too early to tell. Almost like he was getting his excuses in early. 
    He thanked his team as usual, but it just felt like he should’ve said something like “Fair play, I wasn’t convinced at the time, but they were right”.
    Of course it’s just possible that he was being deliberately misleading?
  • Options
    He probably did, or waited to do it the really humble way by thanking them face to face instead of thinking he needed to appease fans listening to a 4 second snippet of radio communication.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    So will the 6th world title lead to a knighthood as we approach the end of the year? Sports people have had them for far less..... from a sporting perspective many performances like last Sunday have given him a legacy in the sport that surpasses all but one driver in history and even that could go in the next couple of years. 

I dont care care about the off track bollocks that’s his life. As a sportsman he is different class
  • Options
    So will the 6th world title lead to a knighthood as we approach the end of the year? Sports people have had them for far less..... from a sporting perspective many performances like last Sunday have given him a legacy in the sport that surpasses all but one driver in history and even that could go in the next couple of years. 

I dont care care about the off track bollocks that’s his life. As a sportsman he is different class
    Couldn't agree more. His achievements in F1 by far exceed any previous British achievements and all that he has received is an MBE. That is disgraceful.
    It appears that motorsports do not register as far the British honours system is concerned. 
  • Options
    Of course it’s just possible that he was being deliberately misleading?
    Certainly would make sense. The success of the strategy call partly hinged on Vettel not doing the same and staying out longer. Giving the Ferrari team the impression that the tyres wouldn't last to the end would probably help push them towards pitting Vettel later.

To what extent Hamilton would've understood that sat in the car though, I don't know. But it is possible.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    To be knighted,  he would of had to of been the CEO of some publicly funded quango that was set the task of finding out if belly button fluff is a sustainable non gender specific insolation material whilst at the same time licking the steam rising off the balls of various members of the UK establishment...
  • Options
    speaking from experience Sir Soapy ? 
  • Options
    speaking from experience Sir Soapy ? 
    Absolutely underling!
  • Options

It appears that motorsports do not register as far the British honours system is concerned. 
    Patrick Head, Jackie Stewart, Stirling Moss and Frank Williams all agree with you.
  • Options
    He probably did, or waited to do it the really humble way by thanking them face to face instead of thinking he needed to appease fans listening to a 4 second snippet of radio communication.
    Yeah, you may be right, but my comment wasn’t about appeasement, it was really a cackhanded continuation of a previous comment regarding being a little tired of listening to drivers bitching about stuff during the race. They never come out of these looking good. As has also been mentioned, it might have been a tactic to throw the opposition off the scent. All fair enough and all that.
    But just from a personal point of view, I don’t think listening to drivers comments during the race adds anything to the entertainment value. In fact, the commentators always tell us when something significant is said on the team radios, then they play it to us a minute later. What’s the point of that? Tell us what they said or let us listen. There’s no need to do both.

Anyway, it’s a minor gripe. It’s just been mildly irritating me for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Addickted said:

Patrick Head, Jackie Stewart, Stirling Moss and Frank Williams all agree with you.
    Is that all that you could come up with in 70 years of F1?
    Frank Williams, Patrick Head and Jackie Stewart are well deserving of their knighthoods. Even Stirling Moss, with no F1 championships, could be considered worthy. 
    How do you consider Claire Williams' OBE against Lewis' MBE? For what exactly? 
    John Surtees won the World motorcycle championship before becoming World F1 champion, the only person ever to do so, but was never knighted and only ever, finally in the last years of his life, received a CBE. 
    One time champions, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill and Jenson Button have received a CBE, OBE and MBE, respectively. 
    I don't think that anyone could argue that Lewis Hamilton is not deserving of a knighthood. 

• Options
    BR3red said:
    He is a winner.

With 20 laps to go, could stroll round and still win another Formula 1 championship, but no, wants to win the American race.

When Hunt won the title the nation went mad.

I have seen Hunt, Hill, Mansell do well in this cut throat sport.

Lewis is on another level, he really is.

I cannot remember the competition of all the previous era’s of British champs, and I am sure it would be very competitive.

This year hasn’t been the best at all but Vettel is pretty good !

SIX titles.....

Well done Lewis 👍
    Don’t forget Button, another British WC.

• Options
    Yes

Oops, sorry Jenson !

Amazing season as well 👍👍
  • Options
    Amazing Lewis 🏆🏆
  • Options
    Fantastic
  • Options
    For the younger fans, ridiculous that he has done it again.

Remember what seemed like all my mates watch Nigel Mansell having a blow out on final lap verses Piquet in 1996? to not win the title in Adelaide.  Was so very rare to see a British Champ and another year slipped by....

To see a British Champ do it 6 times is unheard of.

Make the very, very most of it 👍👍
  • Options
    Surely he will get the recognition he deserves soon. A true all time British sporting great. And probably one of our biggest global stars ever.

Remarkable talent who will be remembered long after his time in the sport has come to a close 
  • Options
    Well done Lewis...
  • Options
    Arise Sir Lewis - in the New Year honours.