Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Speaking about Ferrari - another total farce how they have clearly just got away with cheating last year. FIA announce that after investigations into their engine which strangely just gained 50hp overnight........

”A settlement has been reached with the team which shall remain confidential”

So no transparency into the investigation and no explanation for the other teams. If there was no issue then there would be no need for a private settlement.

Makes FIFA look honest 
    Ferrari have always had a massive advantage.  I think they are guaranteed something like $100m a year in prize money regardless of where they end the season.  The theory being that if they dropped out of F1 it would be worthless...don't like it personally but F1 without Ferrari would lose millions of viewers and make winning meaningless.
  • Options
    Am in but not really confident as normally end up forgetting to update things

Hamilton
    Ricciardo
    perez
    Kvyat
    Giovinazzi

Red Bull
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I’ve entered and so has my F1 loving son , weirdo doesn’t even like football or cricket ffs 
  • Options
    Ive a german bro in law who absolutely loves f1, obvs as grew up with schumacher . Had never been into it myself however the netflix documentary has got me into it. 
    On sky sports can u chose the driver cam for whoever for the wholenor parts of the race?  
  • Options
    Bahrain Grand Prix to be raced without spectators. Going to be very strange.
  • Options
    So the bombshell has been dropped with Vettel leaving Ferrari at the end of the season . 

Be interesting to see who they go for , Ricciardo and Sainz probably the 2 obvious names at first . 
  • Options
    The 5 in the running for me are Ricciardo, Sainz, Perez, Alonso and Giovinazzi.

I'd choose Sainz or Perez personally, Alonso is old and has too much baggage, Gio isn't ready yet and might never be, and Ric won't want to be second fiddle again.

Perez didn't cut it in a top team last time but is now a very consistent, marketable driver. Sainz is quicker, has a famous last name in Motorsport but there's doubts he can step all the way up to the big 3 (he was part of Red Bull and they kept overlooking him) and I'd probably choose him as he's younger than Perez and seems to be on an upward curve
  • Options
    Would love to see Ricciardo at Ferrari
  • Options
    Where will Vettel go now?
  • Options
    Retiring is the strongest rumour I believe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I can see him retiring , don't think he'd go to Renault if Ricciardo went to Ferrari. 
  • Options
    No way a big team will take him on (unless something nuts went down like a swap with Lewis), so he'd have to settle elsewhere unless he retired. Would love to see Danny Ric in there but have a feeling it'll be Sainz.

Opens up a seat at McLaren who will have a Merc engine in the back next season which should all but secure them as "best of the rest". Wouldn't be a bad seat for Seb or Danny Ric to take along side Lando.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Lando and Ric would become the most likeable team lineup going. Would also like to see Ric given a shot in the Ferrari, the guy can win races and his Renault roll of the dice hasn't quite gone like Lewis' with Merc. As said, being second in command to Leclerc may not appeal, but its that or more likely fade away into the background as a midfield runner. A Bottas style no drama number 2 may be what they prefer, but not sure who that could be. Sainz still young and ambitious, Perez failed at a big team before.

Could see Hamilton trying to get number 7 this year before moving on to Ferrari and beating Michaels record with them. Based on his mgmt and the Netflix doc, it feels long term like Toto may look to get George Russell in the Merc. Definitely see Lewis to Ferrari as a possibility, but is the step up too soon for Russell. Could even be that Russell (or similar young prospect) comes in alongside Lewis if he stays put and maybe Bottas himself becomes the Bottas style short term answer to Ferrari's seat...

Might be wrong, but isn't there some crazy situation where all bar a few drivers are out of contract this year? Lots of options, could be the most exciting part of this season the way its going
  • Options
    Le Clerc won the formula 2 championship in 2017 before moving to Sauber. In the following year the top three all moved to formula 1 because the F! teams saw they were made of first class material and all have relatively performed well. In 2017 Albon was a thorn in Le Clercs side with Le Clerc battling with him in the final race in Abu Dhabi which Le Clerc won by 1 second following a dubious coming together.
    Ferrari will think they want two challengers to get the best out of the car when the current regulations change and my money would be on an approach to Albon or Russell.
  • Options
    Lando and Ric would become the most likeable team lineup going. Would also like to see Ric given a shot in the Ferrari, the guy can win races and his Renault roll of the dice hasn't quite gone like Lewis' with Merc. As said, being second in command to Leclerc may not appeal, but its that or more likely fade away into the background as a midfield runner. A Bottas style no drama number 2 may be what they prefer, but not sure who that could be. Sainz still young and ambitious, Perez failed at a big team before.

Could see Hamilton trying to get number 7 this year before moving on to Ferrari and beating Michaels record with them. Based on his mgmt and the Netflix doc, it feels long term like Toto may look to get George Russell in the Merc. Definitely see Lewis to Ferrari as a possibility, but is the step up too soon for Russell. Could even be that Russell (or similar young prospect) comes in alongside Lewis if he stays put and maybe Bottas himself becomes the Bottas style short term answer to Ferrari's seat...

Might be wrong, but isn't there some crazy situation where all bar a few drivers are out of contract this year? Lots of options, could be the most exciting part of this season the way its going
    I think George was unlucky being put in that Williams last year. I imagine they hoped it would be like Charles at Sauber
  • Options
    More worrying for me is that after speaking this morning to a (furloughed) McLaren member of staff who I know through the business - Formula One is fucked.

Merc are showing all the signs of walking away .... Renault heading off (Mclaren would know as they used their engines up to last season). Wolf heading off to Aston Martin Racing. Williams in a dark place..... 

Thoughts are lower costs, subsequent 3-4 car teams DTM style headed by Ferrari, Honda (Red Bull) with a customer team sub division making up the numbers.

F1 is in a bad place 
  • Options
    More worrying for me is that after speaking this morning to a (furloughed) McLaren member of staff who I know through the business - Formula One is fucked.

Merc are showing all the signs of walking away .... Renault heading off (Mclaren would know as they used their engines up to last season). Wolf heading off to Aston Martin Racing. Williams in a dark place..... 

Thoughts are lower costs, subsequent 3-4 car teams DTM style headed by Ferrari, Honda (Red Bull) with a customer team sub division making up the numbers.

F1 is in a bad place 
    That's depressing to read. I'm missing F1 more than football.
  • Options

F1 is in a bad place 
    Lot of supposition in that from a furloughed member of staff at McLaren.

Mercedes have always shown signs of walking away since they do not want the FIA or F1 to take their presence for granted whilst Ferrari get the subsidies.

Wolf did buy some shares in Aston Martin plc, not the racing team formerly known as Force India, even though Lawrence Stroll wants to merge the two. Stroll is the biggest single shareholder in Aston Martin plc but the second (at least prior to the last fundraising) was Daimler Benz Group with 5%.  So your furloughed friend could be adding 2 and 2 and making five.

Whilst the cost of F1 is enormous, with the exception of Ferrari who are subsidised by F1 itself, all the others  seem to be interested in reducing the amount of money spent each year  (bigger bang for buck). With  hybrid cars still to be marketed  by the car majors over the next few years it is likely that Renault, Honda, Chrysler-Fiat and Mercedes will stagger on in F1 for the next few seasons until the all electric racing car takes over and Formula E dominates.

Probably got another 5 years yet.
  • Options
    So looking like Sainz to Ferrari and Ricciardo to McLaren - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52627900
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ricciardo and Norris will be some team next season.
  • Options
    And that should also confirm the Sainz to Ferrari speculation. I guess they now have firm no. 1 and 2 drivers I guess.

Be interesting to see who ends up at Renault, could be dark days ahead for them imo
  • Options
    Can't see Vettel taking a Renault seat, so my guess would be he's retiring.
  • Options
    And that should also confirm the Sainz to Ferrari speculation. I guess they now have firm no. 1 and 2 drivers I guess.

Be interesting to see who ends up at Renault, could be dark days ahead for them imo
    I can't see Sainz going to Ferrari as a no. 2 driver. I think that he'll give Leclerc plenty to think about, probably more than Vettel did last season.
    Will be interesting to see how Vettel approaches this season, if it ever gets going. 
  • Options
    I could see Vettel taking a Renault seat if they move forwards.
  • Options
    Alonso to Renault? Stranger things have definitely happened
  • Options
    Sainz has just been officially announced for Ferrari next season.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Personally, I rate Vettel higher than LeClerc. I do know many would disagree. I'd put him just below Hamilton because of the mistakes he makes under pressure. This is partly because he tries too hard, but he is quick and very competitive when he has the equipment.

It is clear that Ferrari had to pick one though.
  • Options
    Given the current climate, it was probably more of a financial decision for Ferrari getting rid of Vettel.
  • Options

And now the announcement that Bottas will be leaving Mercedes end of 2020 season.

Maybe we will see Vettel in a Mercedes? Of course its a bit late, but would be great to see Vettel and Hamilton in the same team. I just can't see it myself, maybe they'll give it to Russell?