Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    sam3110 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Second time in 3 races Hamilton has cost Albon, a 5 second time penalty is nothing compared to being punted into the gravel, so glad Norris pulled that fastest lap out to poke Hamilton off the podium. Not sure I've seen a podium with 3 entirely likeable guys all on it together before
    It was a bad decision by Albon to try to overtake there. With his soft tyres against two sets of old hard tyres on the Mercedes, the race was there for the taking. He needs to learn to be patient, as there was plenty of time left to overtake Hamilton and then Bottas. 
    I thought that the 5 second penalty was a bit harsh, as Albon was barely ahead halfway through the corner and Lewis just under-steered into him, accidentally. There was no malice or intention. 
    Having watched the footage from onboard as well as the live a few times now, I think Lewis has created some plausible deniability for himself there. Sure, you can argue he understeered a little, and you can say he was holding his line as best he could, but when a driver is as supremely talented as he is, I think he did Albon a bit dirty and "allowed" his car to take the line it did. Alex was past and had more speed. Probably 8 times out of 10 he makes that move with no issue, but Lewis scuppers his chance at a first podium again. And Brundle's bias toward Lewis is evident on the commentary, too - imagine if that had been Vettel who caused that.
    I look at each incident on its own merits and without bias. At Brazil Lewis was 100% in the wrong and deserved a penalty. Today, I don't think that he did anything untoward and IMO did not deserve a penalty.
    Didn't leave a cars width to the car that was ahead of him at the time (ahead is defined by the front wheels of a car being no more than level with the cockpit of the other car) so 100% a penalty, and the only situations that it isn't a penalty is if there's a car that prevents Lewis from going anywhere else (there was no one on the inside) or if he had lost control of the car due to a mechanical issue etc
    How utterly predictable that you’d say that.
    Couldn’t disagree with you more......pure hatred clouding your judgment against a fellow Englishman.....shocking loyalty to a great sporting British icon. I always support an Englishman above all others as I’m a true patriot and he has done the nation proud time and time again.
    Shame on you Sam.😎
  • Options
    If it was Verstappen, Vettel, Albon, Giovinazzi, hell even the Iceman Kimi I'd say the same thing, once you are ahead, regardless of being on the outside, inside, upside, downside wherever, once you have the advantage the racer that has been passed has to give way, or at the very least leave a cars width, and he did neither. In GT Racing you can rub a bit as closed wheel cars can take more punishment, but open wheel you simply cannot do it, so many times in instances like this one of the cars has been launched by the other when the wheels meet front to back like that, it's dangerous and Hamilton was at fault in this instance. He might have cost himself a podium in the end but he cost Albon a shot at the win IMO, and his overall attitude of thinking he's above the rules and that others should leap out of his way is wrong, and I fervently hope he needs to win a race to become WC and someone comes along and does the same thing to him and punts him off into the gravel, see if he thinks it's a racing incident then
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    sam3110 said:
    If it was Verstappen, Vettel, Albon, Giovinazzi, hell even the Iceman Kimi I'd say the same thing, once you are ahead, regardless of being on the outside, inside, upside, downside wherever, once you have the advantage the racer that has been passed has to give way, or at the very least leave a cars width, and he did neither. In GT Racing you can rub a bit as closed wheel cars can take more punishment, but open wheel you simply cannot do it, so many times in instances like this one of the cars has been launched by the other when the wheels meet front to back like that, it's dangerous and Hamilton was at fault in this instance. He might have cost himself a podium in the end but he cost Albon a shot at the win IMO, and his overall attitude of thinking he's above the rules and that others should leap out of his way is wrong, and I fervently hope he needs to win a race to become WC and someone comes along and does the same thing to him and punts him off into the gravel, see if he thinks it's a racing incident then
    You really really really dont like him do you?

Schumacher was a dirty driver. Rosberg was a dirty driver. Hell - Vettel has deliberately driven into another car behind the safety car which is about the worse thing you can do.

I think there are many other drivers that 'need to be taught a lesson' before Lewis Hamilton. He isnt perfect at all - but I think your reaction is hugely out of proportion IMO.

I wasn't surprised a penalty was handed out here, but you try tightening the lock on the wheel as you exit the right hander. The back will come round on you and most likely he could have spun into Albon. This was not a pre-meditated taking out a la Nico a couple of years ago. There wasnt much else he could do.

And no you dont lift. Its the job of the car behind to overtake. Not the car in front to slow up to let him overtake.
  • Options
    But it's not about me liking Hamilton or not, like I said I'd say the same thing about any other driver on the grid right now, he was in the wrong, just like he was in Brazil, and all he has to do is admit Albon overtook him and he didn't leave him enough space, instead he bitches about it being a racing incident, which he wouldn't do if the shoe was on the other foot, he'd be calling out Albon for being dangerous and costing him a chance at the win and telling everyone 5 seconds wasn't a big enough penalty. 

The British media are such huge suck ups to British athletes and unfortunately it breeds a bunch of clouded and deluded fans that follow the bias, listen to Brundle preen over Hamilton, Norris and even Russell today, it's sickening. Oh sorry not allowed to have a bad word to say about British drivers right, gotta toe the line so yahh boo Ferrari sucks, fuck Vettel and Verstappen and anyone else with a V in their name, long live Hamilton, the Queen and the slower than an f2 car Williams! :heart:
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Jesus, that's one very warped argument.
    How exactly does Lewis think that he is above the rules?
    Lewis didn't cost Albon a podium or a race win, Albon did. He had no need to attack when he did. He had a car with soft tyres up against cars with old hard tyres. He had ample time to pick his overtake/s with the least amount of risk to himself. He showed his inexperience and I say that as a fan of his. In fact I was saying to my son before the incident that I wanted Albon to win the race.
    It is true that Albon's car was ahead when the incident happened but it was only marginally ahead and for anyone  to say that he had the place would be naive. You've got the place when the move is completed.
    Lewis would have had a split second to even realise that Albon's car was where it was before taking avoiding action and then it was too late.
    You clearly have an issue with Lewis, for whatever reason. When commenting about issues on the track I prefer to forget whatever allegiance I might have with regard to driver/team or any prejudice that I might have against a particular person.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    sam3110 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Second time in 3 races Hamilton has cost Albon, a 5 second time penalty is nothing compared to being punted into the gravel, so glad Norris pulled that fastest lap out to poke Hamilton off the podium. Not sure I've seen a podium with 3 entirely likeable guys all on it together before
    It was a bad decision by Albon to try to overtake there. With his soft tyres against two sets of old hard tyres on the Mercedes, the race was there for the taking. He needs to learn to be patient, as there was plenty of time left to overtake Hamilton and then Bottas. 
    I thought that the 5 second penalty was a bit harsh, as Albon was barely ahead halfway through the corner and Lewis just under-steered into him, accidentally. There was no malice or intention. 
    Having watched the footage from onboard as well as the live a few times now, I think Lewis has created some plausible deniability for himself there. Sure, you can argue he understeered a little, and you can say he was holding his line as best he could, but when a driver is as supremely talented as he is, I think he did Albon a bit dirty and "allowed" his car to take the line it did. Alex was past and had more speed. Probably 8 times out of 10 he makes that move with no issue, but Lewis scuppers his chance at a first podium again. And Brundle's bias toward Lewis is evident on the commentary, too - imagine if that had been Vettel who caused that.
    I look at each incident on its own merits and without bias. At Brazil Lewis was 100% in the wrong and deserved a penalty. Today, I don't think that he did anything untoward and IMO did not deserve a penalty.
    Didn't leave a cars width to the car that was ahead of him at the time (ahead is defined by the front wheels of a car being no more than level with the cockpit of the other car) so 100% a penalty, and the only situations that it isn't a penalty is if there's a car that prevents Lewis from going anywhere else (there was no one on the inside) or if he had lost control of the car due to a mechanical issue etc
    As ever - I speak to my son who (even at age 12) is a top 5 racing driver in the Uk for his age.

His instantaneous argument to me was that as soon as you try and go round the outside on your head be it.

Essentially as long as the inside driver doesn’t steer to the left (like Rosberg did in Austria to Hamilton a few years ago) he can’t see what else Hamilton can do. Especially as there’s a cars width.

I always tell my lad if you want to try it round the outside you are always taking a big risk.

albon will be kicking himself tonight 
    Agreed. Racing incident. Shitty for Albon, but there’s an element of risk every time you put wheels alongside another car. If “blame” has to be apportioned somewhere then I suppose I would lean towards it being more Lewis than Alex, but given what Verstappen got away with at this very track last season, running Leclerc off the track completely, it seemed a bit harsh on Hamilton. 

Was an interesting race, but more due to the curbs breaking everyone’s cars, than actual on track action. The race itself was a bit of a precession. 
  • Options
    Thought it was a fantastic start to the season, brilliant to see Lando on the podium.

Whatever this upgrade Ferrari are bringing to Hungary can't come fast enough , they look well off the pace and possibly 5th best team. 
  • Options
    It’ll be interesting next week at the same venue. I’d imagine the teams are dreading another 3 days of driving over the rumble strips. 
    I thought yesterday was fairly decent race but we all knew the result as soon as first day of practice was done, a 1-2 which we got although amended.
    Red bull do seem to like a moan, I’m quite surprised they were/are not more vocal about the Red teams engines last year and this year. That for me is the real nonsense, something that was so obvious yet no one dares to upset the one team that apparently we can’t do without.
  • Options
    How come I've got 0 points?

I've got Bottas, Norris, Perez and Gasly as my drivers and Mercedes as my team #confused
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    How come I've got 0 points?

I've got Bottas, Norris, Perez and Gasly as my drivers and Mercedes as my team #confused
    I think it's switched to Styria as the next race already. Should be able to click and select Austria. 
  • Options
    With Lewis qualifying 2nd then put back then finishing 2nd then put back does anyone think there is any weight to the conspiracy theory that they didn’t want him on the podium for a planned (rumoured) taking of the knee?
  • Options
    With Lewis qualifying 2nd then put back then finishing 2nd then put back does anyone think there is any weight to the conspiracy theory that they didn’t want him on the podium for a planned (rumoured) taking of the knee?
    Total bollocks given he and various other drivers took a knee before the race anyway. And Mercedes have changed their livery, etc etc
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Total bollocks given he and various other drivers took a knee before the race anyway. And Mercedes have changed their livery, etc etc
    Mercedes did the livery and the other drivers did the knee that was out of F1 control, when I watched I was interested to see who the drivers were who choose not to take the knee but didn’t seem to get a good view , I know leclerc & verstapen didn’t but any idea who else?
  • Options
    Charles Leclerc, Max Verstappen, Carlos Sainz, Daniil Kvyat, Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Charles Leclerc, Max Verstappen, Carlos Sainz, Daniil Kvyat, Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi.
    Cheers ,so they r off Lewis’s Xmas list , was interested to see if albon had or not.
    im going to the factory next week & think I’ll instinctively drop to my knee if Lewis is about lol
  • Options
    Fernando Alonso going to be racing for Renault next season 
  • Options
    That’s great news F1 is a better place with alonso in it
  • Options
    Bottas started well last season. It is going to be between him and Hamilton, although Red Bull can still make a claim, and experience tells us that Hamilton will reel him in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Is it. He’s overrated, past his best, and will
    just be non stop moaning about how slow the Renault is. And blocking a potential midfield drive for a younger talent. 

Can’t say I’ve missed him. 
  • Options
    Is it. He’s overrated, past his best, and will
    just be non stop moaning about how slow the Renault is. And blocking a potential midfield drive for a younger talent. 

Can’t say I’ve missed him. 
    If you're one of Renault's academy drivers and you see that news you've got to be questioning things. 
  • Options
    Zhou is Renault's young driver, and has been promising in f3 and f2 and could have had more wins and podiums if it wasn't for technical failures. He also brings with him a hoard of Chinese fans and probably a lot of Chinese sponsorship interest too. I won't be surprised if he is in the car in the next couple of years, either to replace Alonso when he inevitably leaves again, or to replace Ocon if he doesn't perform
  • Options
    He he has long been considered the greatest ever driver in wet conditions.
    Who could argue with that on today’s showing.😎
  • Options
    What an absolutely mega lap from Lewis , would love to see the onboard.
  • Options
    Superb lap. Watching the qualifying certainly cheered me up after the shit Charlton served up. 
  • Options
    My internet packed in with 2 minutes of qualifying left. Flipping furious. 🤬
  • Options
    Incredible lap. The very best usually come to the fore in the rain, Senna at Donnington, Schumacher at Monaco, and Lewis constantly delivers when the rain clouds are overhead. Even at Brazil a few years back when Verstappen was slicing through the field he wasn’t catching Lewis.

As Damo says, anyone who says Hamilton’s success is all down to Mercedes is talking bollocks. Max is very very good in the rain as well, but he couldn’t get close and binned it while trying. 
  • Options
    Mention for George Russell too, looking like a real star in the making.