Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    I’m watching today from Mercedes Brackley factory & it’s fascinating how much work goes on over here during a race & never heard such a collective laugh when both Ferrari’s dropped out , out for a smoke & have to sign phone in/out each time even as a guest  
    Out of curiosity what sort of work? There was a collective laugh in our house too!
    From the look of it every piece of data was being analysed and sent through to the track there seemed to be a constant buzz of activity, I was behind a glass wall so just saw a bunch of guys in front of monitors & couldn’t hear anything & all I could see on the monitors in view was a weather forecast & random numbers.
    Great screen to watch it on though & the hospitality was good considering the GP was hundreds of miles away.
    I came when it was Honda & it was a nice HQ but Mercedes have taken it to another level.
    Cheers mate. Fascinating insight; I would never imagine that anything else goes on other than trackside. Rather indicative of why Mercedes are top.
    I was lucky enough to visit Brackley a couple of years ago when I still worked for Mercedes and they explained to us that everything that happens on the cars, the pit wall and the on-site engineers is replicated in Brackley, recorded and analysed. Any information/tactical recommendations can then be beamed track-side in a flash.
    Did you get to see the suspension testing rig that can replicate a whole season’s racing on a suspension set-up in less than 12 hours. That was incredible to see in action,

I didn't see it, but that is astonishing data analysis. I wonder how Ferrari compare to the effort Mercedes put in.
  • Options
    I think their budget is similar to Merc’s and today all teams have a data/computer partner who supply all the equipment.
    The guy who gave us the tour explained that the longest data transfer time is when they are in Oz for the GP, but the info is still transmitted in less than a second!
  • Options
    I’m watching today from Mercedes Brackley factory & it’s fascinating how much work goes on over here during a race & never heard such a collective laugh when both Ferrari’s dropped out , out for a smoke & have to sign phone in/out each time even as a guest  
    Out of curiosity what sort of work? There was a collective laugh in our house too!
    From the look of it every piece of data was being analysed and sent through to the track there seemed to be a constant buzz of activity, I was behind a glass wall so just saw a bunch of guys in front of monitors & couldn’t hear anything & all I could see on the monitors in view was a weather forecast & random numbers.
    Great screen to watch it on though & the hospitality was good considering the GP was hundreds of miles away.
    I came when it was Honda & it was a nice HQ but Mercedes have taken it to another level.
    Cheers mate. Fascinating insight; I would never imagine that anything else goes on other than trackside. Rather indicative of why Mercedes are top.
    I was lucky enough to visit Brackley a couple of years ago when I still worked for Mercedes and they explained to us that everything that happens on the cars, the pit wall and the on-site engineers is replicated in Brackley, recorded and analysed. Any information/tactical recommendations can then be beamed track-side in a flash.
    Did you get to see the suspension testing rig that can replicate a whole season’s racing on a suspension set-up in less than 12 hours. That was incredible to see in action,

I didn't see it, but that is astonishing data analysis. I wonder how Ferrari compare to the effort Mercedes put in.
    Maranello is (apparently) extraordinary, according to a friend of mine that has been there, he worked for Phillip Morris and won a competition where the prize was a guided tour of Ferrari and 2 VIP tickets to the Italian GP at Monza, completely wasted on him as he doesn't care about Formula 1 in the slightest! But he said the level of detail that they seemed to put in to everything was astonishing, and they had a long talk about how Ferrari have integrated their F1 technology into road going cars etc etc. 

They've gone in the wrong direction this year, and the engine changes haven't helped them in the slightest, but anyone thinking Scuderia Ferrari is just a bunch of Italians sitting about smoking and drinking espresso all day is very wide of the mark
  • Options
    What can happen in Formula One is there are different approaches and at a certain point it isn't clear which is the optimum one. There can also be other factors whereas a fast car may not lend itself to upgrades. Anyway, it looks like Ferrari may have backed the wrong horse. They will spend this season trying to copy the Mercedes approach behind the scenes with a view to next season. Heads will almost certainly roll.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'd be very surprised if Binotto lasts the season , the Ferrari senior management won't want a whole season of being this far off the pace with 2 chances now of being utterly embarrassed in their own back yard. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I think this is a reason why you need a great driver like Hamilton. Ferrari probably felt additional pressure to create a better car than the Mercedes as if close, Hamilton would make the difference. You are more likely to take a riskier different direction when you know you have to achieve that.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'd expect to see Gutierrez in as a stand in. 

Hopefully it's a speedy recovery for Checo but I believe that rules him out of the next 2 weekends if it's 10 day isolation. 
  • Options
    Not a huge fan of F1, but as the Portuguese GP is taking place half an hour up the road it would be rude not to. Two tickets for October 25th already purchased. Looking forward to a new experience. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020

Looks like Racing Point have gone with Hulkenberg as the replacement.

Not officially announced yet but he's been seen having COVID testing at Silverstone, and been pictured in Racing Point wear.

Would be funny if he got his first podium this weekend lol.

• Options
    I didn't even consider Nico as a replacement last night tbh. He's got a brilliant chance of a podium in the next 2 races. 
  • Options
    Officially announced now 👍🏻 basically as I was writing original post! 

• Options
    Cars up on track I can here them from the pub car park ,not sure what they r but they r loud & fast !
  • Options
    Cars up on track I can here them from the pub car park ,not sure what they r but they r loud & fast !
    Yes FP1 has just started mate, wish I was close enough to go and have a listen/look myself. Never been to an f1 event, definitely on my bucket list.
  • Options
    Surprised they went with Hulkenberg, he knows the team from a few years ago when they were Force India but he's a big lad compared to Perez and Racing Point have an agreement in place to use Mercedes reserve drivers due to the engine they have. Vandoorne is one of them but he's driving in Formula E this week and next week, but Esteban Gutierrez is available and Mexican too, which would have appeased the multitude of Mexican sponsors they have on the car.

If anyone has watched Drive to Survive, Hulk comes across as a bit of a prick in that, so I for one am hoping his podiumless streak continues
  • Options
    Apparently Gutierrez no longer had a superlicence. Which I found a bit weird if he was a named reserve.
  • Options
    I’m by Stowe corner (the posh end of the track) ,
    This should b my busiest week of the year with the GP but I’m getting barely anything from it , getting a fair bit from Mercedes factory & force India but that’s mainly office based people not going onto the track.
    I was hoping to go up at some point this weekend or next but it’s not easy finding a pass ,any other year I can come & go as I please but everyone I know has a waiting list for any passes but if they want that after work pint.......
  • Options
    Think Hulkenberg has always come across pretty great, was a bit miserable on Drive to Survive when he found out he was getting dumped but wouldn't say he was a prick in it.

Hope he does great this week, but no real chance of a podium even in that car, would do well to get a point literally jumping into the car with no running, and not doing the right fitness training etc.

Next week as presumably he will be racing then again, who knows.

Always found him massively underrated and 100% should be on the grid, great to see him get a chance in a good car, even though its in the hardest possible circumstances.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to see the Hulk go wheel to wheel with Magnusson again in the race, definitely no love lost between those two!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm hoping to see the Hulk go wheel to wheel with Magnusson again in the race, definitely no love lost between those two!
    "Suck my balls" one of the best quotes from the first series of Drive to Survive
  • Options
    Anyone no what cars are out on track right now? They are super loud far far louder than the F1 cars
  • Options
    Anyone no what cars are out on track right now? They are super loud far far louder than the F1 cars
    Formula 3 would have been out then. 
  • Options
    What you have to truly respect, whatever you think about him, is Hamilton's ability to pull out these wonder laps
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    19 laps gone so far only 6 laps of actual racing......Marshalls taking for ever to recover 2 spun cars off the gravel.
    Never ever seen such a long time to do that!!!😤
    WTF!
  • Options
    19 laps gone so far only 6 laps of actual racing......Marshalls taking for ever to recover 2 spun cars off the gravel.
    Never ever seen such a long time to do that!!!😤
    WTF!
    The comontaters on sky praising them for their efficiency. 
    Seriously that's about the longest I've seen for a car to be removed from a situation like that 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Jeez that race brightened up for those last few laps!!

Am shocked that Mercedes didnt pit Hamilton after Red Bull brought in Verstappen
  • Options
    Can’t believe Redbull didn’t leave Verstappen out there. 
  • Options
    Bit concerned if they are going a step softer on tyres next weekend...