Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

To all those threatening to boycott

To all those saying that they're going to boycott and stop going to The Valley because they don't want to give roly any more of their money, I get it. We need to let the board know that this isn't good enough and we need to find a way to make RDs life that little bit more difficult some how.

But it can't be just me that sees that when the team are struggling on the pitch, that's the time when Charlton need me more than ever.

In what could be his last season playing for us, does Johnnie Jackson deserve an empty, passionless Valley?

There are several players that care about this great club, and they're not happy with what's happening behind the scenes either.

As has been said several times in recent weeks, what is a football club without its fans? I'm all for suggesting we don't spend any cash once we're in the ground, or ROLAND OUT chants from the Covered End during the Ipswich game so that the media get wind of this... But PLEASE don't stop supporting the team.

Comments

• Options
    Don't think a boycott is the answer because a) I don't think it will change anything, and b) our fanbase doesn't have the bottle to do it properly anyway.

No I don't have a better idea.
  • Options
    Refuse to have the game played with Fraeye as manager. Walk onto the pitch. Sit down. Don't move.
  • Options
    One problem as I see it is that you are all ( well most of you) thinking in a rational way. There is increasing evidence that Roland does not. He rather reminds me of WW1 generals where the hideous slaughter continued because some generals were unable to accept evidence that challenged their point of view hence they thought that more of the same would be successful. It is a characteristic of the authoritarian personality and also of those with personality disorders.
    But he did sell SLiege and this was for 'complicated reasons'. What exactly were those reasons? IMO, it might be useful to pursue this line of enquiry?

• Options
    I already boycott. It started when I didn't renew my season ticket. I go to as many away matches as possible instead. So I do still support the team, I just don't support the regime.
  • Options
    Was actually quite optimistic on Sunday - some proper managers with some track record of success in the championship being linked by the bookies - thought maybe RD had realised he can't do things on the cheap and was finally pulling his head out of his arse - Now we have appointed yet another nobody from Belgium (I agree, ignore the interim thing - its nonsense) - that's it, I have lost all patience with this Belgium lot. I won't be boycotting but I will be joining in with any form of protest going - time to clear this lot out. Not prepared to be experimented on any longer!!
  • Options
    The Poznan during the TV game would be a better show of defiance than a boycott.
  • Options

Everyone has their tipping point where they say no more, it just differs individually.

You can always find a reason to support one argument or another

Spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Supporting the team is supporting the Belgians. It is his team.
  • Options

The Poznan during the TV game would be a better show of defiance than a boycott.

What and miss a goal.....an Ipswich goal that is.
  • Options
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/69630/to-those-who-will-boycott#latest

In answer to a reply to my post, I'm not particularly happy with the situation but I'll carry on going. No I won't talk people out of boycotting if they want to. Any high demand away games could be if we are are somehow drawn against a big Premier League side.
  • Options
    I stopped spending any additional money at the ground (programmes, coffee, etc) when spanish tony and mick the manc were ballsing things up and last season moved 5 seats to the left for a £150 p.a. cheaper season ticket but the collapse in revenue from me (and my 2 regular compadrés) hasn't brought about any abiding improvement on the pitch and I doubt a few more bodies staying away will influence the belgian puppetfiddler to any change of policy either.
    In 22 years I'd never left a game early before last Tuesday and I've now done it twice because for the first time I felt thoroughly conned by what I'd seen on the pitch.
    Roly Douchebag will dispense with his SE7 experiment when it either 1) begins to cost too much or 2) some other egotist/fantacist/chancer offers him enough gelt to let it go.
    RD was as popular with Standard fans as Nick Griffin would be at the Notting Hill Carnival but he only bailed out there when sufficient €uros were profferred.
    Stay away if you feel it will make a difference to RD but I fear it will only bring forward outcome no.1
    I'll keep attending home matches until my affection for Charlton and my enjoyment of live football are outweighed by the (ever increasing) notion that too many of the so called players are a despicable bunch of mercenaries who think we are just a bunch of stupid pr!cks who line their pockets.
    Keep smilin
  • Options

To all those saying that they're going to boycott and stop going to The Valley because they don't want to give roly any more of their money, I get it. We need to let the board know that this isn't good enough and we need to find a way to make RDs life that little bit more difficult some how.

But it can't be just me that sees that when the team are struggling on the pitch, that's the time when Charlton need me more than ever.

In what could be his last season playing for us, does Johnnie Jackson deserve an empty, passionless Valley?

There are several players that care about this great club, and they're not happy with what's happening behind the scenes either.

As has been said several times in recent weeks, what is a football club without its fans? I'm all for suggesting we don't spend any cash once we're in the ground, or ROLAND OUT chants from the Covered End during the Ipswich game so that the media get wind of this... But PLEASE don't stop supporting the team.

Oh very well said that lifer!
  • Options

Just as at Selhurst, some went to support the team, others chose to boycott. Both camps were legitimate and no-one was wrong

At that time I chose to boycott the majority of games ...did it work?

To be honest, I am very doubtful ... it was not the boycott that got us back.
  • Options
    As much as we like to pretend otherwise, nearly all the players see it as a well paid job, the stuff at the top is a minor inconvenience (if any), bet it's barely mentioned in their houses and as Stig says they probably do see us as mugs for supporting such crap.

Modern football.
  • Options
    I totally understand that people want to show their anger and frustration in ways that suit them, that's fine. However, for this season, staying away in a boycott as a season ticket holder will not affect RD as he has my money already. Why would he care? We all can see the gate is well down, week in week out it dwindles and still he insults us with this appointment.
    I will wear black and white and get involved in making our opinions as clearly as I can to him: most offensives have many fronts. However, the team need our support more than ever and I CANNOT take League 1 again!
  • Options
    SIDSID
    edited October 2015
    If people want to boycott then fair enough. I'm a sporadic attendee at best so can't comment on how much a difficult choice it must be for regulars. The problem I see with it is that as the stadium is not much more than half full anyway and I guess a bigger proportion of those there are die hards and less likely to stop going. Let's face it the current attendance figures could be construed as a boycott of sorts already and it doesn't seem to have bothered RD up to now.
    Edit; forgot to add I think Henry's suggestion is the best way forward albeit with some amendments to the aims.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not proposing this but people could commit to going away instead of going to the Valley I guess. Makes a point and would transform our away form I'm sure.

What happened with Back to the Valley was a sustained campaign and ultimately sharing the objectives of the board. We don't have that right now, we don't even know what their objectives are - putting Karel Fraeye in charge of us is a bit like Aston Villa asking Halifax's boss to leave them second bottom of the conference and take over their first team, which hardly suggests survival is a priority let alone Premier League. Jason Euell is considerably better qualified and he's already at the club, after all.
  • Options
    the problem is the core of our support is season ticket holders, he already has the money, simply not buying anything in the ground will work for a while but then they will just close stands and make us all go in certain stands, I don't have a season ticket anymore I pick and choose what home games I go to, but I probably do more aways then home games as for me I enjoy them more, certainly wont be attending another home match for a while.
  • Options
    Boycotting the catering kiosks is, in my opinion, definitely the way to go.

Soon the time for talking will be over and some of us will need to begin planning.
  • Options
    I've always boycotted a trip to Boro.
  • Options
    Has anyone actually described what a successful outcome of a "boycott" would be?

In other words, what is the stated purpose?

It's highly unlikely that RD is going to see that the gate is, say, 15% down against the average for the season and decide to sell the club.

Not turning up; or turning up late; or not buying a pint; or standing up and shouting at a specified time isn't going to change the ownership of the club. RD will be the owner the day before, the day of and the day after any "boycott".

If anything, a boycott would make it slightly harder for him to find a buyer.

So what is the measure of success? What will people be able to look back and say, "it was worth all the planning and effort and execution, because... " what?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Has anyone actually described what a successful outcome of a "boycott" would be?

It's highly unlikely that RD is going to see that the gate is, say, 15% down against the average for the season and decide to sell the club.

Not turning up; or turning up late; or not buying a pint; or standing up and shouting at a specified time isn't going to change the ownership of the club. RD will be the owner the day before, the day of and the day after any "boycott".

So what is the measure of success? What will people be able to look back and say, "it was worth all the planning and effort and execution, because... " what?

The four objectives of the Black and White campaign are the starting point.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Chizz said:

The four objectives of the Black and White campaign are the starting point.
    So would the boycott continue until all four are in place? And then there would be more?

Don't get me wrong, the b&w campaign is a great idea. Not least because it would be likely to take a long time, gathering momentum as it progresses until it reaches its aim.

But a boycott, in and if itself will fail. It will be ridden out.

I think the two things (b&w campaign and a boycott) are being conflated.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Boycotting the catering kiosks is, in my opinion, definitely the way to go.

Soon the time for talking will be over and some of us will need to begin planning.

That's one option, but not the answer.