Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do we actually want to win on Saturday?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Kiely#1 said:

I'd never ordinarily want us to lose, but anyone who says they don't understand or agree with the question is incapable of thinking more than 5 minutes in to the future.

If this rank amateur flukes 3 wins in 6 say, and gets the job permanently, would we still be cheering the 9 points?

Ive looked further than 5 minutes into the future, 5 months in fact, and this amateur not only flukes 3 wins from the next 6, but manages to secure a mid-table spot for us.

There ya go, I've added more random bollocks to this thread.
  • Options
    I think I might need to cut off my access to the internet for a few weeks. It's not healthy.
  • Options
    Kiely#1 said:

Well, if we don't start picking up points soon, we will be doomed. A win soon is essential, so of course I don't want to lose again. If Fraeye gets results, good on him. He's not a big name and not the appointment that I want, but I won't hold that against him if he does well. There are plenty of excellent managers who had limited playing careers and who people had never heard of early in their managerial careers.

I do get that attitude, its positive and hopeful. But do you think at this moment that he'd be the one to get us some much needed wins, or do you think he is well out of his depth?
    Only time will tell. But I do think we place too much emphasis on the impact that any manager can have on results. They are not magicians and can only work with what they have. If you don't have a striker that can score goals you won't win many games, likewise if you only have a keeper who lets in soft goals. I think squad strength is far more important than the manager, even more so if that manager doesn't control signings.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

If the price to pay for getting rid of Roland is a couple of seasons in League 1 then I'd take it. Phil Parkinson in charge and Dave Mooney up front seem like halcyon days compared to what's going on now.

Sadly it looks more like in League 1 and stuck with Roland at the moment.

I just can't agree with that. The title winning season with Chris Powell in charge was more enjoyable than this (particularly looking back on it) but the dross we served up and some of the results during those two years with Parkinson in charge can never be considered better than what we have now - in my view.

I have nothing against Fraeye. Like Riga, before him, if he manages to get good results out of the squad we, currently, have then he can keep the job. Wishing him to lose so that we can get in someone else, who will by then need a better points average to keep us up, doesn't make any sense to me.

Just out of interest I was very disappointed when Curbishley was chosen over Steve Gritt. In fact, very disappointed doesn't even come close to covering it. Steve Gritt was a Charlton legend. In the end it was clear that Curbishley was the correct choice - well not, obviously, the wrong one. Results will determine how good Fraeye is. If he is the next Curbishley (none of this Alec Ferguson nonsense) then I'll be more than happy. If we lose the next five games then his replacement can't come quick enough. However, as we've lost seven of our last nine, conceding 19 goals, even four straight defeats can't be seen as confirmation that Fraeye is useless.

It's Meire that I most want moved on. A change of ownership would be good, but a new CEO would be a good start.
  • Options
    I want us to win 100%, but I certainly won't be able to celebrate it as much as I usually would.
  • Options
    The club is poisoned. If we go down then there is half a chance these clowns will fcuk off and we can rebuild. So I don't really give a toss if we lose on Saturday really.

Just a shame it's going to take such a rebuild project which will have undone the brilliant work of Chris Powell.
  • Options
    There are two teams I ALWAYS want to win. No matter what. In every scenario, in every case, everywhere. Wherever they are playing. What ever tournament, whatever kick off time, whether home, away or overseas. No question. I always, always, always want these two teams to win. Every time. By as wide a margin as possible.

Saturday is no exception.

(In case you are wondering, one is Charlton, the other is whoever Palace are playing).
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Leuth said:

I wrote a great reply to this thread but sent it as a PM to cabbles. I would like 7 likes and 4 LOLs awarded here by proxy, please.

Being the recipient of said reply, I deem it worthy of just 1 like, half an lol and a flag.......
  • Options
    Want us to win - Always!

Not convinced we will win on Sat however and def not convinced out " interim" manager is right for the job. I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if he turned this around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wanting your team to lose is like incest ?

It's just plain wrong and can only lead to oblivion.

It wouldn't be just cutting off your nose to spite your face but hacking off
    your legs as well.

• Options
    One word... that may or may not be in the dictionary.

Absofuckinglutely.
  • Options
    He (Fraeye) is no gonna pull this round. We are just wasting time and some potential points and are going to be in the same or worse position 5 or 6 weeks down the line. If Duchatelet is stupid enough to devalue his investment, then fuck him.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, aren't we playing Middlesbrough this weekend? I'd expect another Reading type game, Boro got their groove back against Wolves and we rarely fare well a long way from home against far superior footballing teams. We'll stick eleven men behind the ball to try and stop a rut and it will go one of two ways; we'll lose 1-0 and Fraeye will tell us all how well organized we were and had chances to win the game (6 shots on goal, 2 on target versus Boro's 26 and 11) or the backside will fall out of it when we concede an early goal from long distance and we'll get hammered 4-1.

Outcome is the same, we and the management are still out of the depth.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

One word... that may or may not be in the dictionary.

Absofuckinglutely.

#tmesis
  • Options
    I want us to win, or at least watch us play some good attacking football.
  • Options
    100% I want us to win. I think JJ will help "the new gaffer" out a lot, hopefully get some of his points across as to what HE thinks has gone SO wrong recently. I do feel a bit of sympathy for GL with all the injuries but I never really thought "our Sir Alex Ferguson" was ever really the answer long term, I did try to give him my support though.
    I also have a tadge (is that a real word?) of sympathy for KF, I am sure if any of us were in his shoes managing in the Belgian 3rd division and then being offered "a go" at managing/coaching a English championship team (which he knows and I assume has good memories of....) WHY wouldn't he take a chance, he certainly isn't coming here to make us lose! I will give him my support, I know my thoughts will be unpopular with a lot of you but that is how I feel. I might not go down the valley as much as I used to but I still love my club and will always want them to do well regardless who is in charge.
    I know we all want a new owner etc etc but the reality is we are stuck with Mr Duchatelet until he gets fed up or someone makes him an offer he cant refuse!?....surely this mess cant last forever so that is why I'm afraid I will continue to support my team (50 years is a long time...) yes I am sad at what is happening but I have also witnessed some shit over the years I can assure you all.
    In saying all that I think we might well get stuffed on Saturday!!, it is a shame in a way that the new man wasn't bought in for the Preston and Brentford games???...............Welcome back to Charlton KF.
    COYR.........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if I knew that by losing this game and more, we go down to league 1, roland sells the club to a fan/fans who then make the club into one I can be proud of and slowly we make our way back up the leagues then yes I will wish us to lose. unfortunately I aint mystic meg i have no idea what will happen though I'm sure roland knows as he is the only one who knows what his plan is.

on a slightly different take. i would wish us to lose (as long as it doesn't jeopardise anything we are aiming for) near the end of a season if it meant that we have contributed to seeing one of our south London neighbours being relegated.

• Options
    Do I want us to win? Yes.

Do I care? No.
  • Options

Going down to League 1 would probably not mean a quick re-fit and coming back to the Championship with one year looking as good as new. A drop to League 1 might mean a long stay there (or worse). I'd rather that we won on Saturday just to keep us a bit closer to safety. It's not going to be a good year this year whatever happens (excluding the extraordinary), so let's hope we can get to May maintaining our Championship status so that next year might be better.

I can't bear the thought of being in League One with RD still in charge. It's bad enough that he still massively underestimates the Championship. Imagine the quality of players and managers he would throw at us if we were in a division below.
    Polish Pete?
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

if I knew that by losing this game and more, we go down to league 1, roland sells the club to a fan/fans who then make the club into one I can be proud of and slowly we make our way back up the leagues then yes I will wish us to lose. unfortunately I aint mystic meg i have no idea what will happen though I'm sure roland knows as he is the only one who knows what his plan is.

on a slightly different take. i would wish us to lose (as long as it doesn't jeopardise anything we are aiming for) near the end of a season if it meant that we have contributed to seeing one of our south London neighbours being relegated.

So who got around 40 mill because that's how much it would cost ....
    Have a whip round on here - people seem incentivised enough
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

If the price to pay for getting rid of Roland is a couple of seasons in League 1 then I'd take it. Phil Parkinson in charge and Dave Mooney up front seem like halcyon days compared to what's going on now.

Sadly it looks more like in League 1 and stuck with Roland at the moment.

I just can't agree with that. The title winning season with Chris Powell in charge was more enjoyable than this (particularly looking back on it) but the dross we served up and some of the results during those two years with Parkinson in charge can never be considered better than what we have now - in my view.

I have nothing against Fraeye. Like Riga, before him, if he manages to get good results out of the squad we, currently, have then he can keep the job. Wishing him to lose so that we can get in someone else, who will by then need a better points average to keep us up, doesn't make any sense to me.

Just out of interest I was very disappointed when Curbishley was chosen over Steve Gritt. In fact, very disappointed doesn't even come close to covering it. Steve Gritt was a Charlton legend. In the end it was clear that Curbishley was the correct choice - well not, obviously, the wrong one. Results will determine how good Fraeye is. If he is the next Curbishley (none of this Alec Ferguson nonsense) then I'll be more than happy. If we lose the next five games then his replacement can't come quick enough. However, as we've lost seven of our last nine, conceding 19 goals, even four straight defeats can't be seen as confirmation that Fraeye is useless.

It's Meire that I most want moved on. A change of ownership would be good, but a new CEO would be a good start.
    Don't remember people trying to organise boycotts and protests while we were in League 1.
    Don't remember countless long term supporters saying they didn't identify with the club and weren't going to go anymore.
    Don't remember the Supporter's Trust repeatedly being rebutted in their attempts to communicate with the board.
    Don't remember the ticket office and catering being an utter shambles when we were in League 1.
    Don't remember struggling to find a programme seller when we were in League 1.

We might not have been doing a very good job of it, but at least Parky and co were trying their best to achieve something, to the point where he footed the bill out of his own wages for a loan player to come in - is Fraeye going to do that? He'll need to with Roland's playing budget.

This whole thing stinks from top to bottom. We're a club that has won the FA Cup, has the 6th highest record attendance in English football, has recently competed in the Premier League for the best part of a decade and had in excess of 20,000 season ticket holders until not too long ago. We should not be appointing head coaches (interim or permanent) from a club in the Belgian 3rd division that has less supporters than Thamesmead Town - that is a disgrace. To support Fraeye is to support that decision. To compare appointing Fraeye with appoint Curbs over Gritt is not only immensely stupid but also insulting, to Curbs himself, and to the board members who made a proper, considered football decision to appoint him.

Fraeye has not been appointed because Duchatelet thinks he's good - he's been appointed because he's rock-bottom cheap and fits in with Duchatelet's ridiculous bargain basement budget, which is costing us on the pitch and off it, and will continue to do so whilst the club remains under this ownership.
    I like this guy.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

colin1961 said:

PL54 said:

colin1961 said:

Hiring a hitman and sending him to Duchatelet's house would be cheaper.....
  • Options
    Of course I want us to win. End of.
  • Options
    drewman said:

PL54 said:

colin1961 said:

PL54 said:

colin1961 said:

Hiring a hitman and sending him to Duchatelet's house would be cheaper.....
    An old family friend used to be in that game.