Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Class of '92

Comments

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

I like Gary Neville more and more since he stopped playing. Always thought he was a complete C***

Hated him because he played for Ferguson, but even then I had to have a begrudging respect for the way he made the absolute most of his talent. Not that he was a bad player but he was a long way short of some of his peers in terms of natural ability. Was such a solid player, not amazing at anything, but no glaring weaknesses either.

If England had a few more players with his determination, we'd have won our second World Cup years ago.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Taxi_Lad said:

I like Gary Neville more and more since he stopped playing. Always thought he was a complete C***

Hated him because he played for Ferguson, but even then I had to have a begrudging respect for the way he made the absolute most of his talent. Not that he was a bad player but he was a long way short of some of his peers in terms of natural ability. Was such a solid player, not amazing at anything, but no glaring weaknesses either.

If England had a few more players with his determination, we'd have won our second World Cup years ago.
    Also one of those players that you would love to have at your club in that he genuinely believed that every other club was inferior to his own and he was lucky to be playing for them.

Him and Scholes basically couldn't understand why anyone would want to play anywhere else if they could be playing there.
  • Options
    Great pro, very good player totally misunderstood mainly due to a hatred of all things utd by many fans yet was the first name on the sheet for England, imo
  • Options

Phil Neville was on the radio last week talking about the show.
    He said their initial objective was 1 promotion every 3 years with football league the ultimate goal.
    But after promotion in the first year they now want promotion this year too.

Only thing I didn't like in the show was the changing of the kit colour and the badge.
    Those 2 should be sacred at every club.

I didn't pay full attention to the whole episode, so I don't know the answer to this: did they explain why the kit colour was changed?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

He said their initial objective was 1 promotion every 3 years with football league the ultimate goal.

Only thing I didn't like in the show was the changing of the kit colour and the badge.

I didn't pay full attention to the whole episode, so I don't know the answer to this: did they explain why the kit colour was changed?
    Not really. Would like to have seen that challenged a bit more - the way the owners at Hull and Cardiff have behaved has been portrayed as foreign owners not understanding/ignoring British football culture and running rough-shod over traditions.

Salford are a much smaller club but it;s the exact same thing, only it was owners who'd you'd hope would know better. Would have liked to see them justify it.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

No. Just that they changed from Orange to Red.
    Can guess why they wanted their team to play in red but don't agree with it.
  • Options

It'll be a crime if G Nev doesn't get the England job after Roy.

Absolutely. Would me my choice.
  • Options
    Thought it was brilliant. Very insightful.

I liked how they balanced it out and interviewed the fans that didn't like it and wanted em to f*ck off.

The cameras swarmed the apparent star striker who thought he was 4 leagues above the division. No you ain't mate.

Could see the manager sacking from a mile away. They really had to constantly repeat how it wasn't working for them in order to justify it to the cameras. Kind of looked a bit fake. Just be honest.

I hope it works out to ultimately be what the fans of Salford city want.

I like the Neville's.

• Options
    Great programme BUT
    I was absolutely dumbfounded by the capabilities of the manager at that level.
    For him to be paid for his standards shocked me
    The waffle he was spouting, his actions on the touchline, his inability to hold a half time team talk, and most of all his absolute shit training sessions amazed me.
    I know at least 10 unpaid coaches and managers including myself who could conduct themselves better than him, put on better sessions, and interact with players better.
    Amazed there are people like him at that level and getting paid.
  • Options
    The Salford Keys area is nice very "Docklands" opened ExxonMobils office there about 2003.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really good. Love the way, being stuck between united and City ,the supporters go there to get away from all the football razamatazz and the class of 92 are intent on getting them right bang in it.
  • Options

Is Salford an actual City?

I believe so... Probably as impressive as Chelmsford city though :)
  • Options
    You just can't script football.

Great documentary and hopefully they nick a win on TV tomorrow.
  • Options
    That promotion feeling, it's the best there is, regardless of division
  • Options
    The 5 ex united players involved only actually own 10% each. Some old bloke owns 50% of the club.

The guy that got a united contract after being 3rd choice RB at Salford was quite a baffling story couldn't make it up.
    Shows long as the right person is watching you. Has to be the biggest jump of clubs of all time created history that bloke.

Would have thought Gary would finally make sure babs had an hourly rate so it was paid work...or at least offer that possibility. 26 years as a volunteer at Salford I guess she loves what she does either way.

They desperately needed that promotion. With the promotion there 2 leagues away from being in the conference.

Gutted that's the last one hoping for a series suppose might do it again next year depending what happens.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Some old bloke? You mean the same old bloke who owns Valencia (who coincidentally Phil Neville works for as assistant manager)
  • Options
    In a way I felt very jealous of the Salford fans, they have such a close, strong connection with their club - would love to have something even approaching that with Charlton.
  • Options
    Episode 2 just as good as the first, found myself laughing at the friendship between the class of 92 and really related to the football side of the programme, excellent
  • Options
    Found myself cheering when Salford scored during the football clips and felt the tension as the the team were in the restaurant waiting for the Darlington result. Forgot what that was feeling was like. Good luck Salford for tonight, I will certainly be cheering them on.
  • Options
    Those managers are psychopaths though !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gary Neville comes across really well - understands how important football is to the community. Total contrast to what's happening across the game.
    Will be rooting for Salford tonight.
  • Options
    Great TV. Non league football can be so much more enjoyable than pro football
  • Options
    Great programme. The Neville's come across really well what a pair of Charlie's the two managers are though! Amazed no one decked them.
  • Options
    Be interesting who the BBC have in the Studio tonight... Should be a good game to watch
  • Options

Be interesting who the BBC have in the Studio tonight... Should be a good game to watch

I doubt it would be the Nevilles or Scholes as they already have contracts with other channels, Giggs doesn't strike me as the sort that would fancy it and Butt doesn't seem particularly involved (think I only glimpsed him a couple of times in the two shows)
  • Options
    Really enjoyed that. Couldn't believe how poor imo the management duo were.

At a very shite level, I did pre match / half time team talks for 20 years. But regardless of level, the concept is the same and there are so many different variables and approaches you have to use but it should always be focused on not just eeking out more effort, but tactically adjusting / capitalising on how other teams are set up, what their strengths and weaknesses are etc.

Just balling and intimidating is a one trick that will never have much of a long term effect and that's all they had, along with it all being about themselves (repeated letting us down etc). Thought the way they dropped that lad who had given a lot for the club and looked like he was gonna cry was ridiculously ott

Would be interested in others views who have been in similar dressing rooms over the years.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    se9addick said:

I doubt it would be the Nevilles or Scholes as they already have contracts with other channels, Giggs doesn't strike me as the sort that would fancy it and Butt doesn't seem particularly involved (think I only glimpsed him a couple of times in the two shows)
    Phil Neville was always turning out for BBC prior to taking the job with Valencia whilst Gary Lineker presents both Match of the Day and BT Sport, then you've also got Ian Wright who also does BBC and ITV work (Unless the rules are different for Live Football and Highlight programmes)
  • Options

se9addick said:

Phil Neville was always turning out for BBC prior to taking the job with Valencia whilst Gary Lineker presents both Match of the Day and BT Sport, then you've also got Ian Wright who also does BBC and ITV work (Unless the rules are different for Live Football and Highlight programmes)
    I thought Phil Neville was contracted to ITV for England games ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I thought Phil Neville was contracted to ITV for England games ?
    Never seen him appear on ITV to be honest... Was always Dixon / Hoddle / Keane / Wright on there