Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Chef Wendy - Post Match Thread

123457»

Comments

• Options

Posting late but I still feel like I was in an alternative football universe on Saturday after the debacles against Preston and Brentford I was expecting another drubbing. Happily somebody worked out that putting Diarra in his best position where his talent and leadership could be utilised and give Ba and JBG more time made a huge difference. I also to have to apologise on this site to Reza who I referred to as a mercenary, he played really well Saturday and although his goal looked simple he took it very well.

The team had energy, creativity and organisation I felt sorry for Sarr and his slip to that point he had played well and I believe benfited hugely from having Diarra in front of him. Big shout for young THD came on a did a good job at full back. If we can maintain that kind of level of performance then maybe things on the pitch are not so black. One decent performance is great but consistency is the key to how we struugle out of this situation. Also big congratulations to all in the protest it was conducted well and made the point excellently.

The big test will be when we return after the Internationals as many Championship players not involved in the Internationals will have recharged their batteries and be back to fitness.
    The Sheff Wednesday coach suggested his players simply did not have the energy to deal with a motivated Charlton side after a tough recent programme.
    When we play teams who do have energy or who have recovered energy after the break, the teams who naturally move the ball quickly through good support play and movement - then we'll see.

Immense positives from our performance on Saturday and, following on from your comments about the demonstration, I asked my lad afterwards, how big a part, if any, the protest had on geeing up the players - they must have been aware what was going on outside before the game.
  • Options
    Spoke to a Wednesday fan still getting over the shell shock. Had to laugh...said we looked like a team of giants. They spent half the game guessing the height of our Great Dane. Gave them something to do I suppose. Said he couldn't remember when they last conceded a goal from a corner...had to say I couldn't remember when we last scored directly from one.
  • Options

Spoke to a Wednesday fan still getting over the shell shock. Had to laugh...said we looked like a team of giants. They spent half the game guessing the height of our Great Dane. Gave them something to do I suppose. Said he couldn't remember when they last conceded a goal from a corner...had to say I couldn't remember when we last scored directly from one.

Fulham...? - Johnnie Jackson
  • Options

....... good call - and what a header that was, a real net buster!

• Options
    purdis said:

Wasn't that the last goal we scored, before Saturday?
  • Options

purdis said:

Wasn't that the last goal we scored, before Saturday?
    Cousins scored the equaliser in injury time - Jacko's was for 1-2.
  • Options
    Sorry JJ's against Fulham of course. Forgive me it was such a long time ago.
  • Options

As others have said having AD protecting the defence was important but having JBG in the hole was the biggest reason we won and won well I think.

JBG on the right is predictable and teams had worked him out but in the hole he was everywhere and the CB did not know weather to go with him or not or to mark him or not.

Its what I liked as well... In addition you didnt have Ba ... Diarra ... Jackson sticking to their positions, they kept constantly swapping so it made them difficult to mark and did well working together in surrounding a Wednesday player to get the ball back
    Agreed at times I kept thinking JJ was playing left mid again.
  • Options
    Not trying to be negative but we've tried these things before and this is the first time it's all come together. JBG has been played in the hole several times and this seems like the first time it's really clicked. Could be because the strikers deliberately allowed him more space in the centre, which is good tactical nous, but I think JBG will always blow hot and cold. I also think that Diarra is a fantastic player but he does run the risk of getting overrun by nippy midfielders as he's not the quickest. There's also always issues with being overloaded on the wings with a diamond and I don't think the players will be able to give such a committed, all-action performance every week. If we're sticking with the diamond then hopefully we'll be allowed to bring in more players who suit the system and rotate the squad to keep the formation aggressive
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isn't it strange how Gudmundsson just has that ability to hit balls across the pitch with the outside of his boot and get them to one of our players within a centimetre yet other players can't seem to do it.

He makes it look so easy.
  • Options

Not trying to be negative but we've tried these things before and this is the first time it's all come together. JBG has been played in the hole several times and this seems like the first time it's really clicked. Could be because the strikers deliberately allowed him more space in the centre, which is good tactical nous, but I think JBG will always blow hot and cold. I also think that Diarra is a fantastic player but he does run the risk of getting overrun by nippy midfielders as he's not the quickest. There's also always issues with being overloaded on the wings with a diamond and I don't think the players will be able to give such a committed, all-action performance every week. If we're sticking with the diamond then hopefully we'll be allowed to bring in more players who suit the system and rotate the squad to keep the formation aggressive

You know what, that's the key to a diamond or a 433 working. Intensity. We managed it for about an hour, if we can do it when we're a goal behind and not having the zip and motivation a lead gives you then ill start to look up the table. Until then one swallow doesn't make a summer
  • Options
    MarkyE83 said:

Some different angles of the goals....
    https://youtu.be/K1SRII8EKos

These replays are great to see Reza's movement for the 2nd and 3rd. What has happened to him?
    Not Russian is he ?

:smile:

• Options
    Class. That lad has a bright future.

At the time, it was funny seeing Bannon on his arse. However, does anyone on here really want the guy to suffer a serious injury?
  • Options

Class. That lad has a bright future.

At the time, it was funny seeing Bannon on his arse. However, does anyone on here really want the guy to suffer a serious injury?
    Dont think anyone wants to see him suffer any injury... Watching the video I cant see how he does the barrel roll and does look like he goes off out of embarassment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No of course not. Mind you, had it been that little shit Forestierri...............
  • Options
    See Igor is out till the New Year...but never mind a certain Breton is bring lined up as replacement according to several sources including SLP. Could this be true? Has our fragrant CEO gained some savvy?