Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham v Charlton | Sat 21 Mov | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Birmingham City v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 21 November 2015 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire)

Introduction

Usually a Match Preview will only be released on a Thursday or two days prior to the match, in the week since our last performance against Sheffield Wednesday, a lot has happened in the world, people have unnecessarily died in Paris after the latest terrorist attacks and yesterday at Wembley, as England and France fans came together to remember those who had perished, we reminded those who commit these atrocities that their attempts have once again failed and that their attempts to once again generate fear in the world has failed, once the moments of remembrance were observed, we almost returned to normality in England as a game of Football broke out, the only reason normality did not return was because England won that game of Football (although who really cared about the result?)

Anyway we must go on with our lives, and I now write this match preview early, to save many CharltonLifers from descending into starting very strange threads which are so often seen when there is a lull In league action, because it is time for the Football League to return, the Addicks have finally won a match since August and it’s time to see if we were up against a poor Sheffield Wednesday side, or were they themselves up against a rejuvenated Charlton side. Of course a single match won’t confirm whether the Addicks are back, the same as a defeat won’t state that we’re back to normal ourselves again, either way a win against Birmingham City this Saturday would be a start.

The Opposition
Name: Birmingham City | Manager: Gary Rowett
Ground: St. Andrews | Nickname: The Blues

In the beginning there was light, we’ll call this light; London and Charlton Athletic, those that created London decided that around 1875 it shouldn’t be a City alone on the British Isles so they created a second City, the strange place created neither in the South nor the North was called Birmingham and from this City sprung a side: Small Heath, now I know you’re thinking: “How can Charlton have come first if we were created in 1905 and so many years later” but this is my preview so I can write what I want…

Just like with the Premier League and Football League these days, when the latter was originally created there was naturally a rival called: the Football Alliance (best thing about these previews as I didn’t even know this myself), Small Heath played in this for three years (1889-1892), in the end, the two rival leagues had a chat, they made up and the Football Alliance became what is now League One (or back then when things were simple; the Second Division)

Remaining in 1892 at the there was another club entitled: Birmingham St. George, they folded and Small Heath became the only major side in the City, so naturally they changed their names to Birmingham (it wasn’t until 1943 that the name: Birmingham City FC came into existence), these days and Birmingham like many sleeping giants occupy the final Play-Off spot, they are managed by an ex-Charlton player in Gary Rowett (How else are they so high in the Divisions), things are looking up for the side named after England’s second City, and with their rivals: Aston Villa struggling in the Premier League, could we see a shift in power within the Midlands?

Charlton Team News
Now I’ve said this before, but the difficulties with writing a preview on the Wednesday (rather than on a Thursday Afternoon) result in me being unware of any possible injuries that have occurred in training (or maybe on sun-loungers if our German; Patrick Bauer has got near any) so note that the below line-up may be so far from the truth that Reza Ghoochanniejad has left it in Guam it’s so far away…

Stephen Henderson seems to have returned from Republic of Ireland duty without concern (as confirmed on CharltonLife) so as our number one, he should remain in goal… With Chris Solly due to appear at a Supporters meeting this Thursday, we should learn the extent of the injury that forced him off against Sheffield Wednesday, although if there is a concern, expect to see Tarieq Holmes-Dennis deputise.

It is in Midfield and Attack where you’d expect to see the biggest changes; El-Hadji Ba will be serving a suspension after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season, whilst thankfully there has been no mention of Alou Diarra having family caught up in the Paris attacks, he too could be rested, if either player is missing, it’ll be interesting to see how the midfield looks, especially if Jordan Cousins is still injured… Finally in attack we may well see new signing; Ricardo Vaz Te making his Charlton debut, Karel Fraeye may be loath to change a squad that performed so well last time out, yet may be forced to if Reza Ghoochanniejad is suffering from Jetlag with him adding to his frequent flier miles after what appear to have been pointless trips to Iran and Guam.

Henderson
Holmes-Dennis … Bauer … Sarr … Fox
Cousins … Diarra … Jackson
Vaz Te … Makienok … Gudmundsson

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Bergdich … Charles-Cook … Moussa … Lookman … Ahearne-Grant … Ghoochanniejad

Prediction
Birmingham City 1-1 Charlton Athletic (Lookman)

Comments

• Options
    Any news on Watt? Hoping he cant still be injured after the international break.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Birmingham 2-1 Charlton (Jackson)
  • Options

Any news on Watt? Hoping he cant still be injured after the international break.

Christ forgot about Watt, to be honest its like I said in my Preview, hopefully we'll learn more when Karel Fraeye does his Press Conference tomorrow, another one we'll hopefully see is Kashi as they said he'd be back after this break
  • Options
    Charlton are back..................2.0 win. The Mak among the goals in an impressive and confidence boosting performance.
  • Options
    No reason for Diarra to be rested, he's had 2 weeks off. The same with Jacko!

We need Cousins back or else the midfield will look a bit thin. Your starting line-up looks about right.

I expect a decent performance and 1-1 draw, with Karel to be confirmed on a 18 month contract
  • Options
    You reckon Vaz Te will start?
  • Options
    We win 1-0

Things become distinctly grey
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Unchanged team .... 0-1 win and KF gets the job till end of season

Do you believe the rubbish you write?
  • Options
    The sideshow that is the football.

Reckon we'll get back to reality and get beat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

colin1961 said:

To be fair, if we do win I'm sure KF WILL get the job, you get the feeling that they're waiting for some good results to justify his appointment
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    The away numbers will influence the result 5-0 Birmingham
  • Options
    1-1 draw, we take the lead through Cousins. Equaliser 70th minute and we just hang on to a draw
  • Options

colin1961 said:

To be fair, if we do win I'm sure KF WILL get the job, you get the feeling that they're waiting for some good results to justify his appointment
    And that is a worry.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    The diamond shape seemed to work, so it may mean (providing only Igor, Cabellos and Kashi out),
    Henderson
    Solly/Bauer/Sarr/Fox
    Diarra
    Cousins/Jackson
    JBG
    Mak/Reza
    Subs: Pope/THD/Bergdich/Moussa/Vaz Te/Lookman/KAG
    I know I have left out Watt, but I believe we need players who will put in 100% and I think Lookman and KAG will do that, no doubting Watt's skill, just needs to put in more effort in my opinion
    2-2 the score
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Dont think Reza will be appearing... He's posted a video of himself in some resort about 3-hours ago...

pic.twitter.com/vVQyb0W6cn

— Reza Ghoochannejhad (@gh_reza) November 18, 2015

Wonder if he's been told by Fraeye to come back a bit late so that he misses this Saturday yet arrives back in England refreshed and ready to go for training ready for the Ipswich game next Saturday
  • Options
    Birmingham 2 - Charlton 0
  • Options

Dont think Reza will be appearing... He's posted a video of himself in some resort about 3-hours ago...

Wonder if he's been told by Fraeye to come back a bit late so that he misses this Saturday yet arrives back in England refreshed and ready to go for training ready for the Ipswich game next Saturday

Or if it was a video he took, but forgot to upload?

I've not got a sound card at work so no idea what he said at the start, but he could also have been mourning his last morning there as it appears it could be the location where Iran played last?
  • Options
    I fancy us to get something. 1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Or if it was a video he took, but forgot to upload?

I've not got a sound card at work so no idea what he said at the start, but he could also have been mourning his last morning there as it appears it could be the location where Iran played last?

He did not say anything, others talking in the background with music. I would not expect him back for training until tomorrow and for all we know could be travelling back home know, just decided to release the video. After he played so well against Weds, I cannot see the club letting him come back late.
  • Options
    No reason for him to come home late, he's barely played in the 2 matches anyway, the issue is the jetlag and tiredness from all the flights, and the best way to get over that is by getting back home to sunny England asap!
  • Options
    We will lose and the tiny flicker of light ignited at the end of that tunnel for us Addicks after the last home game is cruelly extinguished to the cold and cruel light of day!

2-1 to the Peaky Blinders!
  • Options
    A welcome return to football after all the shenanigans and it would matter more as to the way we play in midfield for which Diarra and Jackson HAVE to be present . THD is a good sub for Solly but may be targeted more by their left wing . Fox on the left has increasingly been where many opposition attacks seem to focus with good results so as long as Diarra is present and Moussa kept off the field and away from the left side in front of Fox (disastrous last time against Brentford mainly because he failed to tackle and press) then, in terms of personnel we have a chance. We have to reproduce a 'hungry for the ball' mentality which is why Watt should not play. Sarr deserves his place in defence and Lookman deserves 20 minutes.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

KF gets the job till end of season

After a poxy day Charlton Life never fails to make me laugh!!!!!.............brilliant! :smiley:
  • Options

colin1961 said:

KF gets the job till end of season

Long time since I genuinely laughed out loud on this forum. Thank you.
  • Options
    Tickets on the gate anyone know?