Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Morrison - signed for Pompey (p6)

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    Leuth said:
    This is the kind of signing which, if we'd made, I'd have been pretty livid tbh
    Why?

A player who has been consistent in the Championship for 10 straight years. Maybe not one for the future but certainly not a bad signing. 
    Ben watson, harry arter?

both of these played at a higher level than Morrison 
    Sam Vokes, James McClean, Barry Bannan?
    32, 32 and 33.  So all older than Gunter was when we signed him.......

Getting the right "oldy" is almost as hard as getting the right youngster out of non league.

Doesn't mean it's a bad idea to try though.
    Signing a "playmaker" oldie can be a brilliant move if you build a team of younger players around him to do the physical side, and let him use his skills. Wes Hoolahan had 2 brilliant seasons at Cambridge in his late 30s

Signing a midfield workhorse who's legs have gone (i.e. Arter) isn't such a good idea...
  • Options
    great signing for them. One of those individuals that if we had actually been run properly would've easily stayed with us for the last 10 years imo. Him and Yann's sales were stupid at the time, utterly ridiculous in hindsight. 
    i agree but you dont need hindsight it was obviously terrible decision at the time. When Yann was sold i knew from that point we were in trouble with RD as owner. 
    The Yann sale did make some sort of sense though. Player with 6 months left on his contract, offered a better deal by Bournemouth a club owned by a secretive Russian, who broke the FFP rules.

The Morrison sale was ludicrous in comparison, as we forced out our 3rd choice CB - i.e. a player one injury/suspension away from the first team - someone who had just signed a new contract
    Don’t agree on Yann considering he’d have likely signed a new deal if offered. He was badly undervalued so much that we spent something like £700k on Polish Pete plus whatever wages we were paying to Reza ❤️. There were far better ways to spend that money which could have included a new contract for Yann.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This is the kind of signing which, if we'd made, I'd have been pretty livid tbh
    Rich man’s Lavelle