Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Ipswich | Sat 28 Mov | 12:30pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town
Saturday 28 November 2015 … 12:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Scott Duncan (Northumberland)

Introduction

What a difference two wins can bring to a side… A month ago, you couldn’t see where the last win was coming from, we’d lost to the sides around us and we were like a child on a slide with nothing but a slippery trip heading downwards. Am sure there were some fears though with the usual comments being made; yes we beat Sheffield Wednesday but we always beat them, what if it was just a one off, did the International break arrive at the wrong time, why are my chips cold again?

Well for yet another week those fears were put on the back burner as the Addicks recorded back to back victories for the first time this season with victory up in Birmingham… Does this mean that the tables have turned and like the child in the playground we’re climbing back up the steps again (just hope he isn’t going on that slide again!!), we’ll have to wait and see because this Saturday we don’t just entertain Ipswich Town, we also have the pleasure of entertaining Sky for the second and most likely, last time this season… (Unless of course they want to show us facing Leeds United?)

I started my introduction mentioning that we have just recorded two wins, and some people could say those wins were just like buses turning up together… I hope that isn’t the case because usually, when two buses turn up at the same time… You have to wait a bloomin’ long time for the next one

The Opposition
Name: Ipswich Town | Manager: Mick “E’Bi Gum” McCarthy
Ground: Portman Road | Nickname: The Tractor Boys

In recent weeks I’ve discussed the origins of our Opposition, that’s mainly because I like History and like I said last week… I’m the one writing the Match Preview so you’re stuck with it… Ipswich Town in a sense are older than the Addicks (they were formed in 1878) yet in terms of Football League experience they are a lot younger, Ipswich began as an Amateur side (they were boring and have always been known as Ipswich Town) and it was within the amateur ranks that they remained until the 1930s.

It was in 1936 when a local businessman (Football has always been ruined by these people hasn’t it!!) wanted more success and tried to create a breakaway side called Ipswich United, thankfully for the town, the fans came together and it was agreed that the club would turn professional so for the following season; Ipswich Town would join the Southern League with their first match being a 4-1 win over Tunbridge Wells Rangers

On 30 May 1938 (17-years after the Addicks), Ipswich Town were finally elected to the Third Division (South) it was a tight margin as they were only elected by two votes and it was at the expense of one of our favourite neighbours: Gillingham (who’s fans no doubt blamed Charlton for the expulsion).. Of course, Charlton had only recently been in the Third Division South (We’d won the league in 1935) and with Ipswich playing their first season in the Football League; Charlton at the time were one of the strongest sides in the country having just finished 3rd in the top-flight… The two sides wouldn’t meet for the first time until 1957; it was played at the Valley (in the old Second Division) with the home side running out 4-1 winners.

Last Meeting @ the Valley: Charlton Athletic 0-1 Ipswich Town

Charlton Team News
Injuries seem to be dropping at Sparrows Lane so that’ll make team predictions a bit harder yet no doubt still missing is Ahmed Kashi… It was predicted that he would return after the International Break yet with our U21s playing Crystal Palace the other day, our Algerian was nowhere to be seen, of course he could go straight back into the side without playing for the Reserves, another possibly absentee could be Chris Solly who missed the Birmingham match following a kick on the knee against Sheffield Wednesday… Even if he returns can you really drop Tarieq Holmes-Dennis after two impressive performances?

The final two question marks firstly hover over Jordan Cousins, back from injury he slotted into Midfield at the expense of El-Hadji Ba who was serving a suspension, with the latter returning it’ll be interesting to see who keeps the bench warm… Finally the question will be on who partners Simon Makienok in attack, Reza Ghoochanniejad was rested after a long haul flight last week, with Ademola Lookman making his first start and Ricardo Vaz Te waiting in the wings Karel Fraeye will have a selection headache this week that’s for sure.

Henderson
Holmes-Dennis … Bauer … Sarr … Fox
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Diarra … Jackson
Makienok … Ghoochanniejad

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Lennon … Solly … Ba … Lookman … Vaz Te … Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 2-1 Ipswich Town (Jackson … Lookman)

Comments

• Volunteers needed to hand out the Spell it out leaflets before the game

Inbox @Addickted2TheReds

Pubs, clubs, bars, massage parlours, bookies, outside the ground.

Be part of the change
  • Oh, and 2 - 2 draw
  • Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town

Introduction

What a difference two wins can bring to a side… A month ago, you couldn’t see where the last win was coming from, we’d lost to the sides around us and we were like a child on a slide with nothing but a slippery trip heading downwards. Am sure there were some fears though with the usual comments being made; yes we beat Sheffield Wednesday but we always beat them, what if it was just a one off, did the International break arrive at the wrong time, why are my chips cold again?

Well for yet another week those fears were put on the back burner as the Addicks recorded back to back victories for the first time this season with victory up in Birmingham (somewhere we hadn’t won since 2006)…

Think we beat them a couple of years ago at St Andrews 1-0.

• edited November 2015
    I won't be at the Valley, but I won't be watching on Sky either...

I'll be at Twickenham so that's a big win for us then.

2-0 Makienok & Vaz Te
  • Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town

Introduction

Well for yet another week those fears were put on the back burner as the Addicks recorded back to back victories for the first time this season with victory up in Birmingham (somewhere we hadn’t won since 2006)…

Think we beat them a couple of years ago at St Andrews 1-0.

Cheers for that... Was checking our last win there after the result last week and missed that one
  • wont be at the game, any ideas if Germany will show this game am over in Dortmund for the weekend, I predict a 1-0 win to us.
  • I think Lookman may start after his energetic performance at St Andrews
  • fancy us to win this 2-0, I'll be joining in with many others that cant get to the game and watching it on Sky, so I wont be doing a match thread this week.....sorry guys.
  • Our home form is identical to their away record this season (3-2-3) so on that basis I'm going for a 1-1 draw
  • Think they'll be on top for the most part but we'll snatch a 1-1 draw
  • Sponsored links:

• Ipswich 2-0 win
  • To beat the tractor boys on Sky,
    Will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    WTF 2-1 to CAFC Black and White army.
    JBG and Vaz Te (2 assists from Simon)
  • Dirty weekend in Istanbul so I won't even be following the match thread. Come on the Addicks.

• I saw the referee's name and thought maybe we've got a Scottish born ref, that would be unusual?

But no, he's not a Jock but a Geordie.

• Volunteers needed to hand out the Spell it out leaflets before the game

Inbox @Addickted2TheReds

Pubs, clubs, bars, massage parlours, bookies, outside the ground.

Be part of the change

Judging by all the other posts I imagine people will be queuing up to volunteer?
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.

If only the team could be as consistent as you!
  • We're on sky, so obviously it'll be a 3-0 victory for Ipswich. Worst performance of the season.
  • Ole ole ole ole,
    Ole ole ole ole,
    Makienok, nok, nok

1-0
    Big Mak.
  • edited November 2015
    Henderson
    THD BFG Sarr Fox
    Diarra
    JJ Ba
    JBG
    Reza Mak

1-1 Mak goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Score draw
  • Charlton? Tele? Sky? Two straight wins?

we're fucked!

0-1
  • Unchanged team
    2-1 win
    JBG first goal scorer
  • Reza on as sub to score with 5mins to go.
    1-0. We all go jumping mad.
  • I think it's probably nailed on that Mak and Reza will start up top. The real selection dilemmas are Ba v Cousins and THD v Solly.

I hope Vaz Te feels as though he has something to prove. It would be nice to have a striker that can actually go on a scoring run for 8-10 games.

I'll go 2-0 us, Mak and JBG(who surely must score this side of Christmas!)
  • Reality check 1-2 to Ipswich
  • 4-1 ... everything we touch turns to gold... Protest goes well and KM is left scratching her head, "Results on the pitch are good, why are so many still unhappy, hmmm, maybe I've missed something" ...

Maybe you have KM... Maybe you have...
  • I had a dream last night and we won 3-0 in the dream. So I've cancelled my place at the Rugby and will be there at the Valley.
  • 1-1 Our goal from Big Mak