Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This protesting and Roland out lark

124»

Comments

• Options

jamescafc said:

msomerton said:

But until Potsmouth are sold to a money bags owner will be a league 2 side at best.
    Also Charlton would have to go into recievership so that the £50 million debits can be written off, that seems a precarious route.

Think I'd rather be in Portsmouth position that ours.
    Portsmouth v Accrington Stanley FAC 2 on Saturday.

Nope I'd rather be us.
    They are posting better crowds than us though...

And much more important than anything , considerably larger away followings from the bottom of the country as well , will we ever have that much passion in our support
  • Options
    I've always wanted to see us play Accrington Stanley (who are they?)
  • Options

jamescafc said:

msomerton said:

But until Potsmouth are sold to a money bags owner will be a league 2 side at best.
    Also Charlton would have to go into recievership so that the £50 million debits can be written off, that seems a precarious route.

Nope I'd rather be us.

Yes and in League 2, we'll be getting 4,000.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

msomerton said:

Nope I'd rather be us.

And much more important than anything , considerably larger away followings from the bottom of the country as well , will we ever have that much passion in our support
    Took a 1000 to Carlisle the other week.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

WSS said:

Simonsen said:

The whole black and white thing didn't feel as if it helped the team much today.

It wasn't meant to.

If the players' on the field performances are affected by a4 sheets of paper for 60 seconds, then we have bigger problems than we thought.
    To be honest it was another protest they fell flat
    What?? Makes no sense - in English please.
  • Options
    To this point in this thread no one has put forth a credible alternative to RD running the club. Potential owner(s) have failed to materialize and who is to say that they would be any better in running the club? Would we be happy if Tony Fernandes bought us instead of QPR or David Sullivan if he hadn't bought West Ham? Even in the heady days of the Premier League we did not have a sustainable business model ... revenue(s) have been insufficient to cover costs (cash flow from operating activities has been negative) including 2 shirt sponsors go into administration during their deals. Charlton have compensated for losses by selling players, ie. Parker, Benty, Shelvey and Jenkinson to name a few.

The problem has been that Charlton was run, by their own admission, Charlton fans who did ran the club at a loss and then sold Charlton to owners that did not have the means to keep Charlton going with cash infusions.

Going forward, I hope that RD and Katrien focus their efforts on Charlton's commercial side, looking to develop new streams of revenue. While I realize that re-branding to Crossbar and various VIP initiatives to the existing fan base, they need to increase both Match Day and Commercial Income. Putting an exciting team on the pitch would go a long way at attracting the passive fan.

On the playing side I would hope that they would stop the coaching carousel but realize that it's cheaper to change the manager than the entire team. I hope that continue investment in the academy and continue to bring talent through. While it may be unrealistic to name an entire team of home-grown players, having four or five players in the squad may be our future. This is where I see RD network being of value. The Under-21's play from 20 to 25 games but they need more games. The Under-21s from network clubs should train together in the preseason and play a Milk Cup like tournament. We need continue their developmentby giving them additional game time, not against lower league opposition, but against players who play the game differently.

• Options
    nice post...I thought our time in the premiership was up the day we stopped expanding the Valley's capacity...the commercial side is key...winning games is essential but it hides a lot of issues that are the dog that tends to come back and bite you on the bum when you stop winning...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A bit unrealistic to hope a few commercial ideas will change the finances of the club. It might make it a Social Club but it will not make it a successful football club.
    Both RD and KM do not understand ( or wish to ignore) a successful team has a good manager and decent players. And good managers and players are not found sitting about in RDs company or his cronies.
    We cannot all play in the Premiership and be successful but seeing a team badly run with bad decisions that could be avoided is not acceptable to me as a supporter.

Although, of course, being a "social club" rather than a business with some nice state aid and tax avoidance thrown in to help is exactly the advantage that Barcelona and Real have over most other Spanish clubs!

It occurs to me that as even most Premier League teams fail to make money - unless they are harvesting Champions (sic) League dosh - the only real option is diversification. So, you've got a brand - use it for something other than football. Virgin used to be just a tiny record label after all.
    For example, start with a subsidiary called Charlton Health Properties, build state of the art GPs' surgeries borrowing the money to do so. Get a yield of around 5% after paying borrowing costs, with the Govt. paying the GPs rents for them. Use the income to finance the football. Break even. A random example but a proven business model that requires little capital and not many staff either.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Or, just give us a decent fooking football team
  • Options

And a decent fooking manager.
  • Options

I think we have got a pretty decent team, it's just there's a leadership problem... We've only got one player who's a leader and the rest, at the moment, are all followers... Jackson needs some deputies and 'talkers' on the field, and it ain't Chris Solly...but now we're a bit off topic, though as its my topic (as in I started it) I don't mind...
  • Options

I think we have got a pretty decent team, it's just there's a leadership problem... We've only got one player who's a leader and the rest, at the moment, are all followers... Jackson needs some deputies and 'talkers' on the field, and it ain't Chris Solly...but now we're a bit off topic, though as its my topic (as in I started it) I don't mind...
    We'll agree to differ on the team, although I'll concede there is a promising nucleus.
    Needs more than a good leader though.
    As to your O/T message - what happens if Duch goes?
    Initially we rejoice and then we just pray that someone credible steps into the breech

• Options
    cafcfan said:

A bit unrealistic to hope a few commercial ideas will change the finances of the club. It might make it a Social Club but it will not make it a successful football club.
    Both RD and KM do not understand ( or wish to ignore) a successful team has a good manager and decent players. And good managers and players are not found sitting about in RDs company or his cronies.
    We cannot all play in the Premiership and be successful but seeing a team badly run with bad decisions that could be avoided is not acceptable to me as a supporter.

Although, of course, being a "social club" rather than a business with some nice state aid and tax avoidance thrown in to help is exactly the advantage that Barcelona and Real have over most other Spanish clubs!

It occurs to me that as even most Premier League teams fail to make money - unless they are harvesting Champions (sic) League dosh - the only real option is diversification. So, you've got a brand - use it for something other than football. Virgin used to be just a tiny record label after all.
    For example, start with a subsidiary called Charlton Health Properties, build state of the art GPs' surgeries borrowing the money to do so. Get a yield of around 5% after paying borrowing costs, with the Govt. paying the GPs rents for them. Use the income to finance the football. Break even. A random example but a proven business model that requires little capital and not many staff either.
    It started off as a mail order company discounting records that Branson used to advertise in the music press. Prior to that when at University he produced a student magazine.
    He later went on to have a few shops, I think the first was in Oxford Street, then Nottinghill. He used to make a few bob from selling bootleg albums' which is where I got to know him.
    Later I worked for one of his publishing ventures with Pearce Marchbank, ex Time Out Art Director, as a designer.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

First-team, maybe, but as a squad, it's lacking. With the suspensions and injuries starting to mount again, it might not be a merry christmas for Charlton fans.
  • Options
    I stood outside the West Stand-Roland Out. Held up the 2% sign and chanted. Next stage of protest to RD and KM, I am not going to games ( even though I have a season ticket)
  • Options
    IAgree said:

Just spent a pleasant early evening in a pub full of very content and happy Maidstone fans - Won 2 -1 getting a 2000+ gate in the Conference south, second in the league and apparently had an amicable time chatting earlier to the handful of dedicated Truro supporters. Most were wearing colours and their only concern was if they lose a more relaxed atmosphere if they get promoted.

About the fifth pint of IPA I was trying to remember the last time I really enjoyed a game at Charlon and felt as happy about my club as these fans do ... And I couldn't. My best mate has stopped going to games, inspite of having a season and, at present, I have no desire to go to the Valley myself if I am brutally honest.

Katrien, Roland and whatever insipid fool they dupe into management have ruined my football and I wish that they would sell and just f*ck off.

This.

When Charlton are playing away I have been going to some non-league games. Recently went to Tonbridge Angels for the first time and have been back since. What a different atmosphere, changing ends at half time. Banter with the opposing fans at the tea hut. I can't believe it's come to this. Please just go KM/RD.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with those last few posts entirely. As I've said before in other threads, the buzz of going to games isn't there. I have no inclination to get down the Valley ( I'd never have thought that 23 years and 1 day ago) and don't even get hacked off when we lose.
    I was more gutted for Lennon getting injured than the result yesterday.
    They have to go.
  • Options

A decent team that has conceded three goals three times since Shakin Stevens took over, hmmmm.