Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Air Strikes On Syria

Comments

• Options
    Interesting article on how to defeat Daesh here.
  • Options
    Thing is bombing will not make us anymore of a target, they have tried numerous times to kill again over here. Our authorities have been just too good so far to stop them since 7/7, other than the attack on Lee Rugby.

They are similar to the RUF in Sierra Leone in their behaviour but hide behind religion, even those they are supposedly saving are their victims. Forced either to fight or used as slaves.
  • Options
    Plus if air strikes are required, I would trust our boys more than any others to hit the right targets. Underfunded but still the best.
  • Options
    IA said:

Why are people banging on about killing civilians ? I think I'm right in saying that all this time we've been carrying out air strikes in Iraq, no innocent civilians have been killed.

The Iraq Body Count project disagrees with you.

Why are people forgetting that Syria has a government and is a sovereign country, how can we conduct air strikes without the Syrian governments permission?

Because

Lots of Russian arms reaching ISIS via Bashar al-Assad. Assad is also helping to fund ISIS.
    What's that table got to with Iraq ? Or, for that matter, casualties caused by RAF piloted bombers ?
    The answer to my original point is zero.
  • Options
    Quite simple, I cannot see us being any less/more of a target now they've voted in favour.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Seems to me that this vote gives the worst of all worlds because;

a) Surely between them Russia, USA & France have the required firepower to bomb as much of Syria as they please, I doubt our paltry number of jets will make much of a difference - therefore our involvement must be for symbolic reasons only

b) I can't see that air strikes alone can defeat ISIS, clearly boots on the ground will be required and this vote rules them out

c) Arming & training 70,000 "Syrian moderates" sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

d) It seems ridiculous that we've just made the UK a far more likely and far more frequent target of terrorist attacks for a strategy that, given a, b & c, seems incredibly likely to fail

We have already foiled 7 plots against us so it is not as if these terrorists were just waiting for this decision.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    1StevieG said:

se9addick said:

a) Surely between them Russia, USA & France have the required firepower to bomb as much of Syria as they please, I doubt our paltry number of jets will make much of a difference - therefore our involvement must be for symbolic reasons only

b) I can't see that air strikes alone can defeat ISIS, clearly boots on the ground will be required and this vote rules them out

c) Arming & training 70,000 "Syrian moderates" sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

d) It seems ridiculous that we've just made the UK a far more likely and far more frequent target of terrorist attacks for a strategy that, given a, b & c, seems incredibly likely to fail

We have already foiled 7 plots against us so it is not as if these terrorists were just waiting for this decision.
    Quite, that's why I said that it's made us a "far more likely and far more frequent target of terrorist attacks" - I know there have been attempts already but how many more will there be now ?

If Britain bombing ISIS was likely to destroy them then we would say it was a risk worth taking and I would probably support the action, but it won't so it isn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We can't just do nothing based on the increased likelihood of attack

It's not enough to open arms and accept people fleeing Syria, that doesn't protect us from attacks at home by these scum, the nice ways stop now, we strike them first the oil fields where they are gaining their money,
  • Options
    Wouldn't t be cheaper to bomb somewhere nearer home than Syria?
  • Options
    Bethnal green
  • Options
    se9addick said:

1StevieG said:

se9addick said:

Quite, that's why I said that it's made us a "far more likely and far more frequent target of terrorist attacks" - I know there have been attempts already but how many more will there be now ?

If Britain bombing ISIS was likely to destroy them then we would say it was a risk worth taking and I would probably support the action, but it won't so it isn't.
    Surely if a bomb hits a training camp, or kills someone planning an attack, we are safer, no?

Of course I understand we suffer from a far greater threat from within, but what are we supposed to do? Nothing?
  • Options

We should concentrate on forcing turkey to close their border with Syria to stop the supplies reaching isis. And stopping their funding from Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

How do they manage that? We can't even keep calais under control yet the Turks need to close over 400km?
  • Options

IA said:

Why are people banging on about killing civilians ? I think I'm right in saying that all this time we've been carrying out air strikes in Iraq, no innocent civilians have been killed.

Why are people forgetting that Syria has a government and is a sovereign country, how can we conduct air strikes without the Syrian governments permission?

Because

Lots of Russian arms reaching ISIS via Bashar al-Assad. Assad is also helping to fund ISIS.
    What's that table got to with Iraq ? Or, for that matter, casualties caused by RAF piloted bombers ?
    The table has got to do with the Syrian government and was in response to LoneRanger's point. The clue is that I quoted LoneRanger before I posted it.

The link to the Iraq Body Count project, which you have ignored, is in response to your post.

It is possible to deal with more than one point in a post.
  • Options

How many if any civilians are going to get killed, how long and how much will it cost to put the country back together?

According to an RAF pilot on BBC Breakfast this am, they have achieved over 400 missile strikes against IS (not bombs we're not dropping them) in Iraq with no civilian casulties reported.
    The brimstone missiles have a small payload but precise (99%) accuracy. Especially useful against fast-moving vehicles that others - the USA included - don't have the ability to hit accurately.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wouldn't t be cheaper to bomb somewhere nearer home than Syria?

No. The airbase at Akrotiri, Cyprus is cheaper to operate than one in the UK.

Although now you mention it, flattening Dublin so that companies feel less like moving there to avoid UK corporation tax does seem like an attractive option and would be good for the economy.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    cafcfan said:

How many if any civilians are going to get killed, how long and how much will it cost to put the country back together?

According to an RAF pilot on BBC Breakfast this am, they have achieved over 400 missile strikes against IS (not bombs we're not dropping them) in Iraq with no civilian casulties reported.
    The brimstone missiles have a small payload but precise (99%) accuracy. Especially useful against fast-moving vehicles that others - the USA included - don't have the ability to hit accurately.
    We've already started dropping Paveway bombs overnight. They may be laser guided, they may have a higher degree of accuracy than indiscriminate non-guided bombs, but they are still bombs.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Chizz said:

Never ever thought I'd say this as long as I've got a whole in my arse, but WELL SAID HILARY BENN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tgeswg85ak

A whole what?
    Is that the best you've got Jizz
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Quite simple, I cannot see us being any less/more of a target now they've voted in favour.

I suspect killing civilians in Syria could raise public support for the terrorists though?

Interesting point from cafcfan - however I also suspect that Daesh and their supporters will not be making a distinction between who fired missiles and dropped bombs when it comes to seeking their revenge.
  • Options

We should concentrate on forcing turkey to close their border with Syria to stop the supplies reaching isis. And stopping their funding from Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

The elephant in the room. Who is buying oil from them also. Wasn't it reported last week after the downing of the Russian jet that the turkish pm's son was allegedly involved in buying oil from them?
  • Options
    IA said:

IA said:

Because

The table has got to do with the Syrian government and was in response to LoneRanger's point. The clue is that I quoted LoneRanger before I posted it.

The link to the Iraq Body Count project, which you have ignored, is in response to your post.

It is possible to deal with more than one point in a post.
    I ignored the article about the Iraq Body Count, as soon as I read that the organisation responsible for the counting have previous for under and over counting.
    Not that reliable really are they.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

We've already started dropping Paveway bombs overnight. They may be laser guided, they may have a higher degree of accuracy than indiscriminate non-guided bombs, but they are still bombs.

The paveway bombs dropped last night were targeting oil refineries, not just dropped at random over the city.
  • Options
    How can a war be win against ISIS when they haven't got a Country? They are all over the place. We went into Iraq under false pretences and similar us happening in Syria. Of course, oil sits in the background. This 'war' will not be won, it will just move elsewhere, probably major European Cities included. Frightening!