Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Air Strikes On Syria

Comments

• Options
    I'm not saying that it is the (sole) cause of war, am I? Good for the economy, mind...
  • Options
    It's times like this I wish I was Finnish, or from Luxembourg or some other small nation that are just quietly doing their own, small thing.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Military industrial complex example: each Brimstone missile costs £100,000 and someone is growing very wealthy through their increased demand and manufacture

Buy shares in BAe and MBDA
  • Options
    I had shares in Charlton they bombed
  • Options
    cafctom said:

There was no easy decision with this, though I'm surprised so many MPs seemed to have their mind made up long ago.

NLA is right that we have a duty to stand by our allies. Imagine if what happened in Paris had happened in London, and the French had refused to help...

Then again....I also fear that the chances of some sort of London based retaliation from ISIS just went up drastically. I was worried before but even more so now. Something will happen.

No, not at all. The Terrorist threat level in the UK has been at Severe since Aug 2014; defined as 'an attack is highly likely'. This is based on exhaustive int work. The UK was always on their radar, irrespective of this decision. Countless attacks have been repelled this year and they will continue to target us. The decision to go in to Syria is an irrelevance as far as the threat to this country is concerned.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    I recommend that people click the below link, scroll up and down to read the full thread. You don't need to comment, just read.

• Options

Re. The terrorist sympathisers comment; I ain't one of DC's biggest fans, but I personally like the fact that a politician hasn't apologised for saying something he really thinks, instead of pathetically backtracking with a wishy washy apology and not meaning a word of it (I think they call it lip service).

Also, if you look at the two top blokes running the shadow cabinet, with a proven track record of rubbing shoulders and sympathising with known terrorists and their organisations (Corbyn and McDonnell with Hamas and the IRA), you can start to see where the comment was aimed at

C'mon Rob. Corbyn sticks by his principles. Within one post you commend one for it and condemn another, with a clever UK media style twist. Sympathy and a receptive attitude to negotiation are not the same. Negotiation worked ( more or less ) in NI.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This entire thread <<<<<<<<< that post
  • Options
    Just bomb them
  • Options
    through time, this country has always enjoyed a good 'ol war for raising the morale of the populace.
  • Options
    So I didn't support us joining the bombing of Syria because I don't think bombing solves any problems.

I didn't understand how the majority in parliament was so large given the weakness of the Cameron justification and the support Corbyn had won back for the need for a real end game here.

I did watch the Hilary Benn speech, and now I understand why our democracy has given qualified support to an international coalition aimed at crushing the fascist daesh.
  • Options

Re. The terrorist sympathisers comment; I ain't one of DC's biggest fans, but I personally like the fact that a politician hasn't apologised for saying something he really thinks, instead of pathetically backtracking with a wishy washy apology and not meaning a word of it (I think they call it lip service).

Also, if you look at the two top blokes running the shadow cabinet, with a proven track record of rubbing shoulders and sympathising with known terrorists and their organisations (Corbyn and McDonnell with Hamas and the IRA), you can start to see where the comment was aimed at

C'mon Rob. Corbyn sticks by his principles. Within one post you commend one for it and condemn another, with a clever UK media style twist. Sympathy and a receptive attitude to negotiation are not the same. Negotiation worked ( more or less ) in NI.
    Sorry, are you saying that Corbyn's own sympathy and negotiations led to peace in NI? Or just in general?

• Options

Sorry, are you saying that Corbyn's own sympathy and negotiations led to peace in NI? Or just in general?

No Rob, I don't think Corbyn had much influence at the time. But his willingness to engage the protagonists was a good idea, and proved right in the end, in my opinion. I am pleased we have the current peace in NI. I appreciate Corbyn's mantra at the time may have been ceeding soverignty, which I don't agree with, but he seems more willing to concede to a democratically realised decision that he does not necessarily agree with than any other leading politician in my lifetime.
  • Options
    I fully support action against Daesh but bombing them isn't the answer as far as I'm concerned. If Cameron or whoever really want to fight/defeat I.S. then FIGHT them, that means soldiers and tanks and direct military action as well as firing some missiles and patting ourselves on the backs. A missile killed Jihadi John and there was a much rejoicing but I.S. now had a new martyr to idolise and no doubt a new 'executioner' in as much time as it took for another lunatic to pick up a sword. It didn't actually make any practical difference strategically.
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That bit is what I thought was meant by it. If anyone thinks that MBDA are capable of lobbying government to go to war to sell missiles they are sadly mistaken. The defence lobby in this country is good at sipping drinks abroad at ambassadors houses, they are not in and out of Downing Street, nor do they have the ear of the top military commanders. the US, perhaps, but not here or in Europe. Sorry chaps.

They do more than "sip drinks" though. In my personal experience, they go round a party at the British Embassy openly boasting about the local politicians that they have bribed into buying expensive fighter jets. This person is not criticised at that party for what he has done. On the contrary, he is feted. He's a bit of a card and maybe what he's done is a bit naughty, but he represents a British Company of Strategic Importance. So that's alright then.

That is not of course the same as suggesting they persuade politicians to go to war. But it is heinously disgusting and demonstrates the hypocrisy that pervades the British establishment. It explains why we continue to sell military hardware to Saudi, knowing full well that Saudi money and ideology fuels Daesh.
    Crikey, I've been to a lot of UK export events and I've never seen that, must have been pre 2010 bribery act surely? Be interested to hear more about that, however it does move away from the thread significantly.

There is still a huge difference to companies like MBDA lobbying for war though and that was my point, that I stand by. While it may not be bad for the economy (though you'd have to sell a huge number of missiles to have any genuine impact, as MBDA are a European conglomerate - as was panavia and as is eurofighter) it would not be enough to make he country go to war or, I believe in this case even to be a contributing factor.
  • Options

That bit is what I thought was meant by it. If anyone thinks that MBDA are capable of lobbying government to go to war to sell missiles they are sadly mistaken. The defence lobby in this country is good at sipping drinks abroad at ambassadors houses, they are not in and out of Downing Street, nor do they have the ear of the top military commanders. the US, perhaps, but not here or in Europe. Sorry chaps.

They do more than "sip drinks" though. In my personal experience, they go round a party at the British Embassy openly boasting about the local politicians that they have bribed into buying expensive fighter jets. This person is not criticised at that party for what he has done. On the contrary, he is feted. He's a bit of a card and maybe what he's done is a bit naughty, but he represents a British Company of Strategic Importance. So that's alright then.

That is not of course the same as suggesting they persuade politicians to go to war. But it is heinously disgusting and demonstrates the hypocrisy that pervades the British establishment. It explains why we continue to sell military hardware to Saudi, knowing full well that Saudi money and ideology fuels Daesh.
    Crikey, I've been to a lot of UK export events and I've never seen that, must have been pre 2010 bribery act surely? Be interested to hear more about that, however it does move away from the thread significantly.

There is still a huge difference to companies like MBDA lobbying for war though and that was my point, that I stand by. While it may not be bad for the economy (though you'd have to sell a huge number of missiles to have any genuine impact, as MBDA are a European conglomerate - as was panavia and as is eurofighter) it would not be enough to make he country go to war or, I believe in this case even to be a contributing factor.
    Yes I think it was probably pre-2010. But I am sure you've already worked out which company he worked for (best not to mention it here).

The relevance to this thread is this: if we really want to deal with Daesh then we have to get to the root causes of it. One of those root causes is the UAE. Are we addressing it? Is it right to flog them arms, toady up to them at the mere sight of their money? I don't pretend it is black and white,, and I also understand that you have to be a bit subtle on such matters. But I didn't hear so much as a smidgin of a mention of the issue from Hilary Benn in his much lauded speech yesterday. Regardless of the right and wrongs of bombings, @micks1950 has shown Hilary Benn to be a stinking hypocrite, just like our diplomats who fete arms salesmen who bribe foreign politicians.
  • Options

Yes I think it was probably pre-2010. But I am sure you've already worked out which company he worked for (best not to mention it here).

The relevance to this thread is this: if we really want to deal with Daesh then we have to get to the root causes of it. One of those root causes is the UAE. Are we addressing it? Is it right to flog them arms, toady up to them at the mere sight of their money? I don't pretend it is black and white,, and I also understand that you have to be a bit subtle on such matters. But I didn't hear so much as a smidgin of a mention of the issue from Hilary Benn in his much lauded speech yesterday. Regardless of the right and wrongs of bombings, @micks1950 has shown Hilary Benn to be a stinking hypocrite, just like our diplomats who fete arms salesmen who bribe foreign politicians.
    Yeah, get em when they're young, open up a few youth centres on the Amin al-Hafiz council estate, take em to the Raqa Zoo and show them there is a way without joining ISIS and wanting the rest of mankind dead...
  • Options
    Prague, isn't the root cause that ISIS/DAESH believe in their version of Iskam and want to impose it on the rest of the World. Look at what's happening in most African countries. IMO nothing will change their view, but being at war with them will increase their numbers eventually
  • Options
    I bought the dvd box set

Three discs on as many different size bombs That can fit on a bomber jet

• Options

Prague, isn't the root cause that ISIS/DAESH believe in their version of Iskam and want to impose it on the rest of the World. Look at what's happening in most African countries. IMO nothing will change their view, but being at war with them will increase their numbers eventually

I thought it had something to do with Islam

; )
  • Options
    Interesting snippet here of a documentary set in the US command centre Al Udeid, Qatar. Big numbers … 10 million dollars a day to run, 60 - 70 bombs dropped each day, 17-5 ton payload on B1 bomber. Puts the UK contribution into perspective and also the level and size of the opposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JERh7EtiwyI
  • Options

The UAE the root cause? Worse than Saudi and Qatar? I'd suggest probably not. Though I'm sure rich donors exist from the whole of the Middle East.
  • Options

I bought the dvd box set

Three discs on as many different size bombs That can fit on a bomber jet

Oi NLA I bet your favourite drink is Jaeger Bombs!
    Fave song must be Bomber by Motorhead?
  • Options

Interesting snippet here of a documentary set in the US command centre Al Udeid, Qatar. Big numbers … 10 million dollars a day to run, 60 - 70 bombs dropped each day, 17-5 ton payload on B1 bomber. Puts the UK contribution into perspective and also the level and size of the opposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JERh7EtiwyI

Jesus. What would they do/spend if they found themselves up against a decent army??