Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Force Awakens. No spoliers

Comments

• Options

am I the only surviving human who has not seen any of the Star Wars/Bores movies ?

If you'd seen them and found them boring, you'd have a point. I don't know how you can decide they're boring if you haven't seen any of them?
  • Options
    As long it's not too far worse than cutting open a live Tauntan and keeping warm inside it and a sort of incest trip isn't beaten in the child trauma stakes I think I'll be ok.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Obi wan becomes leader of the labour party

Again?

On a side note a few years back I travelled on a Virgin flight with George Lucas and his extremely gorgeous "personal assistant" whose main role seemed to be giving George in-flight massages.
    I'm guessing since Disney coughed up 4bn for the rights, he won't be using "public transport" any more.
  • Options
    Cool movie. Excellent retro. The opening scenes could have been in the original!
  • Options
    One of the best films I've seen in many years. Didn't disappoint. When can we actually talk about what happened? As some of what did, I don't want to believe it. It was that good!
  • Options

One of the best films I've seen in many years. Didn't disappoint. When can we actually talk about what happened? As some of what did, I don't want to believe it. It was that good!

Open a thread and put warning :warning: spoilers on it
  • Options

There's another thread for that mate.

Really want to see it before inevitable spoilers leak out but trying to fit it in before Christmas will be difficult!
  • Options
    Saw Star Wars 3 times in a week when it first came out in 1977, absolutely loved it. The next film took too long to come out for me and I had matured too much to be interested in fairy tales having seen the likes of Quadraphina, Scum and Breaking Glass in the interim.
    So I haven't seen Empire, Return or the three prequels and never had the inclination to either. However this one has stirred something in me and I will go to see it.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Saw Star Wars 3 times in a week when it first came out in 1977, absolutely loved it. The next film took too long to come out for me and I had matured too much to be interested in fairy tales having seen the likes of Quadraphina, Scum and Breaking Glass in the interim.
    So I haven't seen Empire, Return or the three prequels and never had the inclination to either. However this one has stirred something in me and I will go to see it.

Could it be the force dragging you back towards the light side
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

andyg90 said:

An Internet forum with a thread for The Force Awakens is only going to have one ending. Any way we can block/remove threads from our view?

use the best blocking device .. self discipline .. avert thy eye young man
    I never knew Lincs had lost an eye.
  • Options
    Two of my 'friends' have now admitted to crying tears of joy during this film. Seriously? lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

am I the only surviving human who has not seen any of the Star Wars/Bores movies ?

Give the Phantom Menace a couple of hours of your time or you'll die unfulfilled.
  • Options
    It's all about nostalgia for many.
    The original was probably one of the first things I saw on a screen that truly took me to another place and had me on the edge of my seat. I had all the gear, millennium falcon, figures ,pjamas ,lightsabers the lot and would play with them for hours.

For those of a certain age,it stirs up all those happy times when you literally had not a care in the world.
    I'm off to take my boy on Monday and I'm hoping it gives up the same sort of emotions for him. I can't bloody wait!
  • Options

It's all about nostalgia for many.
    The original was probably one of the first things I saw on a screen that truly took me to another place and had me on the edge of my seat. I had all the gear, millennium falcon, figures ,pjamas ,lightsabers the lot and would play with them for hours.

For those of a certain age,it stirs up all those happy times when you literally had not a care in the world.
    I'm off to take my boy on Monday and I'm hoping it gives up the same sort of emotions for him. I can't bloody wait!

This is it... Each Star Wars trilogy has almost been timed perfectly...

The first Star Wars involved parents taking their Kids to see the original films, then when the next ones came out it allowed those kids to take their sons to see the prequels with the next generation being able to take their families.
  • Options
    Saw it last night... Without a doubt, if you like Star Wars, you'll love it.

Great fun, action-packed and lots of nods to the original trilogy (including some subtle ones). Also like the fact the film didn't try to take itself too seriously (which was the case for the prequels).

Not reduced to tears like some people seem to be ridiculously claiming! However until last night I've not been in a cinema before when the audience have broken into applause as soon as the end credits began rolling.
  • Options

Saw it last night... Without a doubt, if you like Star Wars, you'll love it.

Great fun, action-packed and lots of nods to the original trilogy (including some subtle ones). Also like the fact the film didn't try to take itself too seriously (which was the case for the prequels).

Not reduced to tears like some people seem to be ridiculously claiming! However until last night I've not been in a cinema before when the audience have broken into applause as soon as the end credits began rolling.

I'm with you everything on this. As soon as the title credits arrived, I had the biggest smile on my face and so many appluases after the credits.

The film had a lot of laughing parts of which had an added advantage towards the film. This will go down as a classic. And goes in to my Top 3 Star Wars films!
  • Options
    Saw it last night, thought it was very good, never really been into Star Wars. My daughter is and watched all 6 films over the weekend to get ready for it. Came out on the cinema to be met by a couple of storm troopers, one which was so short, I think he should have got R2D2 outfit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Two of my 'friends' have now admitted to crying tears of joy during this film. Seriously? lol.

I know right, a Spurs fan with friends?!!

;-)
    Ha, harsh but fair!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Just back from watching it in 3D IMAX here in Dubai. I thought it was brilliant & the 3D is outstanding. The first appearances of all the returning stars were greeted with huge cheers & standing ovations from virtually everyone in the audience. Just great fun.
  • Options
    Saw it last night in 3D IMAX at the film theatre in Bradford. As @Red_Pete in Dubai said an outstanding experience. So much more depth to the picture and probably the best cinema I've seen. The expectation had gone on for too long; already can't wait for the next instalment. Christmas pales into insignificance - I'm off to join the Jedi religion.
  • Options

Cool movie. Excellent retro. The opening scenes could have been in the original!

The whole movie can be related to the original. It's tantamount to a remake.
  • Options

To anyone who has seen the film...it's rated as a 12A but not sure why. But I'm taking the plunge and taking the boy (5 years) who has seen last year all the films and has got to the end in the iPad Star Wars game. Am I making a mistake around the content. To be clear I'm not interested in whether you find it interesting, just is there stuff there that's really only suitable for kids aged over 12.

I would say it's not as accessible to a 5-year-old as A New Hope perhaps is. It's more violent and menacing. Mostly bloodless death but death nonetheless. Kylo Ren has moments that would scare the shit out of me as a child.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Just read one of them had now seen it 3 times in 24 hours, is going again on Sunday and I'm sure as shit he'll go again tomorrow.

Absolute bonkers.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Just read one of them had now seen it 3 times in 24 hours, is going again on Sunday and I'm sure as shit he'll go again tomorrow.

Absolute bonkers.
    To be fair, he has hired an entire 150 seater screen on Sunday and they're all doing it in fancy dress! Why not go the whole hog hey!

Wonder what their wives must think?!?!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I agree but I can't help wondering if his post shouldn't have been on the spoilers thread?
    JiMMy 85 said:

To anyone who has seen the film...it's rated as a 12A but not sure why. But I'm taking the plunge and taking the boy (5 years) who has seen last year all the films and has got to the end in the iPad Star Wars game. Am I making a mistake around the content. To be clear I'm not interested in whether you find it interesting, just is there stuff there that's really only suitable for kids aged over 12.

I would say it's not as accessible to a 5-year-old as A New Hope perhaps is. It's more violent and menacing. Mostly bloodless death but death nonetheless. Kylo Ren has moments that would scare the shit out of me as a child.
    I, also, agree with this. I don't remember seeing any blood in A New Hope. There was some in Empire, but the new film is a 12A which makes it appropriate. However, I think that the whole world, including children (above five) are much less sensitive to blood and guts than they were 38 years ago.
  • Options

Most people, when they get older, become sentimental about things from their youth. The lengths, and cost, some people will go to to recreate just a feeling of their youth are incredible.

Despite some on here saying that the films are boring/rubbish/uninspiring many, many people grew up with them (either at the time or on VHS/DVD) and this is a chance to spend a couple of hours in a 'make believe world' that they have been associated with since long before innocence was replaced by responsibility.

What's not to like about that?

I'm sure the film will be loved by all those that liked them as children and will continue to baffle those that are indifferent about them. However, I struggle to understand why those that are so against them spend so much time telling others that they are. I'm even surprised that those not interested even opened this thread, never mind post more than once to advise us they don't like the films.

Well said. I enjoyed the first film at the time as a refreshing return to an adventure yarn but I was too old to see it as a significant part of my youth.

Not bothered about this new one but will watch it on TV or DVD when it comes on.

Was surprised that my son, who is going to see it with his mates tomorrow, reminded me that he'd seen all the previous six films as we used to have them on DVD.

And how can you not like a film where the hero's name is Ben.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

JiMMy 85 said:

I agree but I can't help wondering if his post shouldn't have been on the spoilers thread?
    JiMMy 85 said:

I, also, agree with this. I don't remember seeing any blood in A New Hope. There was some in Empire, but the new film is a 12A which makes it appropriate. However, I think that the whole world, including children (above five) are much less sensitive to blood and guts than they were 38 years ago.
    If you felt that strongly, you probably shouldn't have quoted it! I don't think it's a spoiler, for the record.