Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jordan Cousins is a Charlton hero

Comments

• Options
    He's only just back from a long term injury isn't he?
  • Options

he was the next big thing when playing for the England school boys but then had to endure that court case and I do wonder how much that set him back?

imo was a great player for us never quite reached the level that was talked about when he was playing with England U16/17/18/20's

That was long before he was playing in our first team at Championship level and doing very well.

Don't think that can be used as an excuse or reason especially as he never had to "endure a court case" as it never got anywhere near that far.
  • Options

Really??? He was outstanding for us and was getting rave reviews at QPR at first. Let's see

I heard from a QPR fan at work that he's just not getting selected at the moment and he's "useless", which I find hard to believe. Hope he's just trying to wind me up!

Would love to see JC do well.
    He's winding you up.

He's been injured for about 9 months. About ready to come back. I live in NW London and have got a few QPR mates and they really rate him and can't wait until he is back.
  • Options

he was the next big thing when playing for the England school boys but then had to endure that court case and I do wonder how much that set him back?

imo was a great player for us never quite reached the level that was talked about when he was playing with England U16/17/18/20's

That was long before he was playing in our first team at Championship level and doing very well.

Don't think that can be used as an excuse or reason especially as he never had to "endure a court case" as it never got anywhere near that far.
    so at a young age (17/18?) those allegations couldn't of hindered his progress?

I thought it had gone to court and then been thrown out, obviously not.

• Options
    He was always a centre back at younger age groups when he captained England - how would he have ended had he been used in that position? Better off than a centre midfielder maybe?
  • Options
    He was brilliant, his sheer energy and aggression forgave a slightly slower than average footballing brain. I hope he cracks the QPR first team and kicks on his career
  • Options
    Addick90 said:

He was always a centre back at younger age groups when he captained England - how would he have ended had he been used in that position? Better off than a centre midfielder maybe?

I watched some of the England youth games when he was playing, was used at CB. RB and CM even back then.

Don't think he's good enough in the air for CB and his energy would be waste there.
  • Options

A decent player, but I never though he was outstanding, as to me he's a typical British midfielder, lots of running, energy and workrate, but without that class on the ball to take him to the next level.

Having said that Jordan Henderson has captained England based on those attributes...

I think you're spot on. He is a standard English modern player. Athletic, good work rate and can run all day, but will never have the guile or class on the ball to elevate themselves to the top level. Interestingly, when you go up a level to the premier league, they're just better versions of what Jordan Cousins is. So even our top players don't have that special something needed to do it at the top level
  • Options
    I think he is class. Agree he has some limitations but he has enough attributes to succeed. Will have a good career in the championship as a CM. Not sure he will make the step up to the prem unless it is as a RB which I actually thibk is his best position.

Rightly didn't play there much for us partly due to the silly factor and partly due to the fact we never had many midfield options and he would have been wasted at rb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think he is class. Agree he has some limitations but he has enough attributes to succeed. Will have a good career in the championship as a CM. Not sure he will make the step up to the prem unless it is as a RB which I actually thibk is his best position.

Rightly didn't play there much for us partly due to the silly factor and partly due to the fact we never had many midfield options and he would have been wasted at rb.

Is that Roland, Katie or Karel, or eve all three?
  • Options

Is that Roland, Katie or Karel, or eve all three?
    Haha dont be solly.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I have watched a lot of Cousins through the years and I have to say he is very ordinary. He has great stamina and speed around the pitch but hasn't got the creativity that you need from a great midfield player.

He's certainly no hero :lol: He did well for us during a time we had very few decent players.
  • Options
    Decent player with box to box engine but hardly great in any sense of the word. Did well enough for us at the time. I wish him well but Charlton hero....not a chance.
  • Options
    I'm reminded just how bad we were when he was PoTY, and Diego farkin Poyet looked a world beater...
  • Options
    Average at best. Not been missed at all and we've had a lot better in the middle of the park, even under the Belgians.
  • Options
    He had good spirit and got up and down the pitch well, but usually the quickest way to lose the ball was to give it to him. JFC is a much, much better footballer
  • Options

hell hath no fury like a Charlton fan scorned.

Excellent player at Championship level who I'd have back in our league one squad in a flash.

Hope he gets back to full fitness soon.

That must be why his transfer value has gone down since he left us :lol: He's also only played 21 games since leaving us.

QPR fans I work with say that he's okay as an option but not a first team option even when fit.

So maybe it's not just us Charlton fans.

I liked his dedicated, give all approach, but he was rated so highly only because of the players around him... Well in my opinion at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can understand why people like him as a player. He does the work of two men in midfield, running around, breaking up play. I expect his team-mates love him for the work he gets through. Every team needs one, but I always saw him as a fetch & carry player. Not enough creativity and not enough goals in his game. He also seemed slightly clumsy and out of control of his limbs to me, tearing round the pitch, falling over.

I hope his move to QPR works out as he seemed like a nice lad and I can't blame him for leaving Charlton which was a badly run nuthouse when he went.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Excellent player at Championship level who I'd have back in our league one squad in a flash.

That must be why his transfer value has gone down since he left us :lol: He's also only played 21 games since leaving us.

QPR fans I work with say that he's okay as an option but not a first team option even when fit.

I liked his dedicated, give all approach, but he was rated so highly only because of the players around him... Well in my opinion at least.
    How has his transfer value gone down? Please don't tell me you are using transfer market?

And only 21 games? is that maybe because he's been injured.

Like your blinkered attempts to portray Philips as a liability you are dredging the bottom of the barrel to not prove your point
  • Options
    Previously a right back who got switched to midfield

He's just a modern day Darren Pitcher :wink:
  • Options
    He is an artisan rather than an artist. It has got nothing to do with him leaving. I thought he was ordinary when he was with us. Just my considered opinion.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I liked him as a player and both Stephens and Jackson looked twice the player with Jordan alongside one or the other of them doing the running.

He is definitely a good Championship player and with the right players around him could even progress beyond that. He certainly has the attitude and application to make the best of his talent.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

He is an artisan rather than an artist. It has got nothing to do with him leaving. I thought he was ordinary when he was with us. Just my considered opinion.

I agree but never underestimate the artisan. Especially one that is proven at a higher level than we are at now.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Dazzler21 said:

How has his transfer value gone down? Please don't tell me you are using transfer market?

And only 21 games? is that maybe because he's been injured.

Like your blinkered attempts to portray Philips as a liability you are dredging the bottom of the barrel to not prove your point
    :lol: Phillips.... really.... that's your defence? I don't rate Phillips, it is true. However I don't particularly rate Amos either.

I've not ever said Phillips will never be good enough... I have simply said he's not as good as Amos right now in my opinion.

Anyway Neither are as good as any of the following were:
    Pope, Henderson, Hamer, Randolph, or Elliott. (I could go on but these were the lesser keepers of my time as a fan.)

Back to Cousins before you derail the thread to focus on my view Phillips...

He was our player of the season those seasons he won it for a reason. Hard work and determination, but he was no hero and he never looked close to players like Buyens, Jackson or Ajderavic in terms of skill on the ball, passing vision or ability to win the ball remaining on his feet. (okay he was better at that than Ajderavic)

It's not like anyone on here is disputing what he did best, close down players and get around the pitch faster than even our wingers at the time (also nabbed some decent goals).

But he just wasn't the player some seem to remember him as.

• Options
    edited October 2017

Would have been a better option instead of Crofts last season!!

Undeniably so. I'd have him in this current team any day of the week, under another manager as he has the physicality and fitness to play well in this league.

Arguably KR would not see the value in him, however I don't often see the value in KR's game plans.

Then we play a short sharp fast passing game that builds up to a goal and I'm reminded this is what he's added that none of the post Powell managers have (bar Riga stint 1).

He has changed our game positively.