Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jordan Cousins is a Charlton hero

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

hell hath no fury like a Charlton fan scorned.

Excellent player at Championship level who I'd have back in our league one squad in a flash.

Hope he gets back to full fitness soon.

That must be why his transfer value has gone down since he left us :lol: He's also only played 21 games since leaving us.

QPR fans I work with say that he's okay as an option but not a first team option even when fit.

So maybe it's not just us Charlton fans.

I liked his dedicated, give all approach, but he was rated so highly only because of the players around him... Well in my opinion at least.
    How has his transfer value gone down? Please don't tell me you are using transfer market?

And only 21 games? is that maybe because he's been injured.

Like your blinkered attempts to portray Philips as a liability you are dredging the bottom of the barrel to not prove your point
    :lol: Phillips.... really.... that's your defence? I don't rate Phillips, it is true. However I don't particularly rate Amos either.

I've not ever said Phillips will never be good enough... I have simply said he's not as good as Amos right now in my opinion.

Anyway Neither are as good as any of the following were:
    Pope, Henderson, Hamer, Randolph, or Elliott. (I could go on but these were the lesser keepers of my time as a fan.)

Back to Cousins before you derail the thread to focus on my view Phillips...

He was our player of the season those seasons he won it for a reason. Hard work and determination, but he was no hero and he never looked close to players like Buyens, Jackson or Ajderavic in terms of skill on the ball, passing vision or ability to win the ball remaining on his feet. (okay he was better at that than Ajderavic)

It's not like anyone on here is disputing what he did best, close down players and get around the pitch faster than even our wingers at the time (also nabbed some decent goals).

But he just wasn't the player some seem to remember him as.

My defence is that you are using meaningless "facts" such "his transfer value has gone down" and he's "only played 21 games" despite being injured. Things you seem quick to move on from.

I never said he was a hero (whatever that means). I did say he's a good player.

I remember him a young player coping well in the CHAMPIONSHIP (not league 1) in an often poor side, who'd played for England and who was sold for a fee to a club at a higher level. He was an artisan but see the Shankley quote above. You need artisans and he was a very good one. Would have him back in our league 1 squad in a flash.
  • Options
    All good and all valid opinions of Jordan which is what you'd expect on a fans forum but to answer the OP question. Hero - No
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Excellent player at Championship level who I'd have back in our league one squad in a flash.

That must be why his transfer value has gone down since he left us :lol: He's also only played 21 games since leaving us.

QPR fans I work with say that he's okay as an option but not a first team option even when fit.

I liked his dedicated, give all approach, but he was rated so highly only because of the players around him... Well in my opinion at least.
    How has his transfer value gone down? Please don't tell me you are using transfer market?

Like your blinkered attempts to portray Philips as a liability you are dredging the bottom of the barrel to not prove your point
    :lol: Phillips.... really.... that's your defence? I don't rate Phillips, it is true. However I don't particularly rate Amos either.

I've not ever said Phillips will never be good enough... I have simply said he's not as good as Amos right now in my opinion.

Pope, Henderson, Hamer, Randolph, or Elliott. (I could go on but these were the lesser keepers of my time as a fan.)

He was our player of the season those seasons he won it for a reason. Hard work and determination, but he was no hero and he never looked close to players like Buyens, Jackson or Ajderavic in terms of skill on the ball, passing vision or ability to win the ball remaining on his feet. (okay he was better at that than Ajderavic)

It's not like anyone on here is disputing what he did best, close down players and get around the pitch faster than even our wingers at the time (also nabbed some decent goals).

My defence is that you are using meaningless "facts" such "his transfer value has gone down" and he's "only played 21 games" despite being injured. Things you seem quick to move on from.

I remember him a young player coping well in the CHAMPIONSHIP (not league 1) in an often poor side, who'd played for England and who was sold for a fee to a club at a higher level. He was an artisan but see the Shankley quote above. You need artisans and he was a very good one. Would have him back in our league 1 squad in a flash.
    1. He has been in full training for a month and available for selection for a few weeks.

2. His transfer will have gone down from what he was paid for if in a season and a half after just 21 games. that is irrelevant as to whether he has been out injured or not played for other reasons.

3. The thread title created by @crabapples called him a hero. So that's why I refer to that.

4. I completely agree that I would have him at this level any day of the week. I would just be more cautious about signing him in the league above if my goal was promotion (I expect that's QPR's target).

5. Bollocks I just agreed with Henry.
  • Options
    Of course he'd fit straight into our 3rd division team, but that's not really the debate as he's a Championship level player

It'll be interesting who out of Cousins and JFC goes on to have the better career, as both are the same age, and both have a lot of England youth recognition, the main difference being that JFC presumably played as a midfielder, with Cousins as a defender?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

1. He has been in full training for a month and available for selection for a few weeks.

2. His transfer will have gone down from what he was paid for if in a season and a half after just 21 games. that is irrelevant as to whether he has been out injured or not played for other reasons.

3. The thread title created by @crabapples called him a hero. So that's why I refer to that.

4. I completely agree that I would have him at this level any day of the week. I would just be more cautious about signing him in the league above if my goal was promotion (I expect that's QPR's target).

5. Bollocks I just agreed with Henry.
    I just typed Jordan cousin into the search function to find the last thread to highlight he was coming back for the u23 game. Saw it was one referring to him as a hero which I think was muttley's point re: playing through an injury etc

I would def have him back in our team and keep him if we got promoted. He's a decent player at champ level, but I can never see him going any higher
  • Options
    Personally I never rated him that much and didn’t bat an eyelid when he left us.....care even less about him now.
  • Options
    I always respect Dick Plumb's opinion (apart from his match day predictions!) but I liked the way Cousins read the game and broke up play. A good defensive midfielder methinks.
  • Options

The passion for Cousins is inspiring people, but aside from work rate and endevour there's really not a lot there, he does nothing with the ball, we haven't had a proper CM since Reid.

Am I allowed to say I told you so..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Id love to have him back if we got promoted.
  • Options
    Ordinary player overatted by a lot of Charlton fans when we desperately needed a hero.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

The passion for Cousins is inspiring people, but aside from work rate and endevour there's really not a lot there, he does nothing with the ball, we haven't had a proper CM since Reid.

Am I allowed to say I told you so..
    A Championship club signed him and he's not played due to injury. He's better than quite a few CMs we've had since Reid.

Anyone saying he's a top Champ or Prem player was overrating him but I don't think many claimed he was. Despite that he was still one of our better players when he was here.
  • Options

On hearing that Cousins played through illness and fainted at half time - I have nothing but admiration for him. Too much is being asked of him and it is detracting from his game, but the fact that he is still giving his all, and more deserves some recognition. Let's show him how much we appreciate him.

Worth going back to the OP to remind people why someone called him a hero.

Amazed that so many think this league one side and the one last season were both so good that Cousins wouldn't get in the team.
  • Options
    he along like others we've had over the years are the kind of players I prefer wearing a Charlton shirt. we cant get great players because of the size of club we are. we can get players who will give it their all but may lack in the skill department. he was one of these type of players.
  • Options
    just seen what Henry has quoted. the orginal post. i remember that game and the other games where we had to play him even though he wasn't fully fit because we needed him and he always did his best to deliver.
  • Options
    How many English midfielders have passing class and great technical ability ?

I do find it baffling that really good Charlton players , who gave their all and barely made an error in 3 years receive negativity
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I do find it baffling that really good Charlton players , who gave their all and barely made an error in 3 years receive negativity

Barely made an error? He gave it away ten times a game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why not post thislol

Anyone wanna comment in another players thread from 2014/2015 got pics with them all haha
  • Options
    Leuth said:

wmcf123 said:

Does giving the ball away constitute an error per se?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Leuth said:

wmcf123 said:

This guy for real?
  • Options
    agim said:

wmcf123 said:

Leuth said:

wmcf123 said:

This guy for real?
    Completely, thanks. Nobody has 100% pass completion
  • Options

It's interesting that you mention Reid. Cousins is exactly the type of high energy midfielder you'd want playing beside a skillful but defensively weak player like Andy Reid. It's a shame Cousins wasn't around when we went down from the Premiership, he'd have done a better job than Matt Holland (even though Matty was a far better footballer).
  • Options

Why not post thislol

Anyone wanna comment in another players thread from 2014/2015 got pics with them all haha

I'd like to see an Onyewu or Lepointe please
  • Options
    All I would say is his performance in a night match against Forest was one of the best I have ever seen from a Charlton player.

Doesn't make him a hero, of course, but would be good to see him back in a Charlton shirt one day.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

agim said:

wmcf123 said:

Leuth said:

wmcf123 said:

This guy for real?
    Completely, thanks. Nobody has 100% pass completion
    Your question was, does giving the ball away constitute a error? Answer, obviously yes.

Nobody has 100% pass completion apart from nabby sarr. I've seen the stats
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Leuth said:

wmcf123 said:

I don't know how you can ask that.
    Unless your plan is to give the ball away then yes, giving the ball away is an error. I mean, for a midfielder, that is pretty much the very definition of an error.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

Leuth said:

wmcf123 said:

I don't know how you can ask that.
    Unless your plan is to give the ball away then yes, giving the ball away is an error. I mean, for a midfielder, that is pretty much the very definition of an error.
    If course on a simple level your argument is correct . But the aim of a midfielder is not just to keep the ball for possession's sake (unless you are a Jordan Henderson figure) . Cousins seems now to be compared to Andy Reid/ Claus Jensen figures ; he isn't the same player but he did a good job for us for three years - excellent mobility and he passed the ball quickly, if not with astonishing technique