Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wolves | Mon 28 Dec | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Wolverhampton Wanderers
Monday 28 December 2015 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Keith Hill (Hertfordshire)

Introduction

Well I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and that they didn’t drink or eat too much… All I can say is who on earth saw that result coming against Bristol City on Saturday (Especially after we went a goal down)? - I guess this is the problem with the Christmas period, when I wrote this Match Preview it was done (and unedited) before the Bristol City match so that could go either way for me… The first match of Christmas is out of the way though and we now approach our next match this Bank Holiday Monday against Wolverhampton Wanderers who we play for the final time this season.

In addition it marks our last match of 2015 and even from my computer I sense a collective sigh of relief that this year (In Footballing terms) is over… From this Friday we enter 2016, it’s time to forget what went wrong in 2015 (and boy for Charlton a lot went wrong in the second half of the year) and look to the future, it’ll a time of resolutions that are usually broken within five minutes and hope, hope that 2016 is kinder on us Addicks and that we get the results we deserve.

C’mon you Reds!!

The Opposition
Name: Wolverhampton Wanderers | Manager: Kenny Jackett
Ground: Molineux | Nickname: Wolves

This Match Preview will be quite unique based on the fact it’s one of the rare teams I didn’t write about earlier in the season… We faced Wolves at the end of September, we had yet to lose and we’d just beaten Hull City after a last minute winner from Johann Gudmundsson, we we’re eighth in the league (I know I’m getting a nose bleed thinking about those dizzy heights) and we were unbeaten…

On the other hand; Wolves themselves had only won a single match prior to our visit (coming on the opening day of the season against Blackburn Rovers), they were sitting in seventeen and having salvaged a point last season, I’m sure (like myself), many Addicks fans were expecting us to come away from the Midlands with something!!... That looked like happening when Johann Gudmundsson gave us the lead shortly after half-time (his last for us), yet this was the beginning of a long slump and two goals from Wolves ensured that all the points remained in the West Midlands.

After that match, Wolves would go on to lose their following match at Bolton in what would be the latter’s only victory this season, they sit back in seventeen now and have lost the last two matches (against Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United), their last win was at the beginning of December (coming on the road at Rotherham), and in terms of the form guide, sit only a point ahead of the Addicks over the last six matches… Don’t expect an epic battle here people.

Last Meeting @ the Valley: Charlton Athletic 1-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Charlton Team News
How on earth do you expect me to discuss the Charlton Team News, when I wrote the Preview for the Bristol City match I didn’t have a clue what potential injuries had befallen the team so definitely don’t have a clue for the Wolves game… Shortly after writing the preview for Bristol City though I found out that both Patrick Bauer was unlikely for that match so along with other long term injuries I wouldn’t expect to see him this Monday… Of course with it being Christmas it’s a time when you shouldn’t really expect to see Alou Diarra and Johnnie Jackson playing twice within two days so maybe one of those will be rested…

To make this section look longer, Callum Harriott will potentially return to Charlton as his loan deal at Colchester will end after our game against Nottingham Forest next Saturday (Although if he does return, Callum will be ineligible for the following match as he’ll be cup tied), whilst Joe Pigott’s loan at Southend will also expire at the same, he too could return to Charlton yet that is unlikely due to Southend having the option to buy next month.

Henderson
Solly … Lennon … Sarr … Fox
Ghoochannejhad … Diarra … Jackson … Lookman
Makienok … Vaz Te

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Moussa … Holmes-Dennis … Charles-Cook … Cousins … Ba … Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 1-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Comments

• Options
    Will be there. Dreading it. #FraeyeOut.
  • Options
    Diarra will be missing. Maybe Cousins too (ill). Expect Ba to start. Draw our best chance. New manager is my new years wish.
  • Options
    A proper manager. Well supported with a bunch of players who have the stomach for a Championship away game. James Henry against Morgan Fox with no cover, and Afobe against the vastly experienced Lennon and Sarr. Bauer with a mystery abdominal strain which apparently meant that he could Tweet from Germany over Christmas, I am not suggesting that he was allowed to bog off home for the holidays.
    We have Karel Fraeye who will of course be right on top of the situation and will out think that naïve Kenny Jackett.

Clear 5-0 win to us.
  • Options
    Our inability to defend and do the basics costs us dear.

A crushing 1.4 defeat.

Am only going to catch up with some mates.
    Couldn't give a toss about the game to be
    honest.
  • Options
    Charlton 0
  • Options
    I know it's going to be shit, but I'm really looking forward to this for some odd reason. 0-3 again.
  • Options

Charlton 0

Are you Jim Davidson?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I know it's going to be shit, but I'm really looking forward to this for some odd reason. 0-3 again.

Masochist.

:wink:

• Options
    edited December 2015
    one we'll win ... the team must be on a high after the Bristol daylight/floodlit robbery .. we could, perhaps should have come away from Molineux with a point at least .. revenge time

CAFC 3 v Wolverhampton Wandererers 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Wolves looked disjointed in their televised game against Reading yesterday. The result flattered them. Reading should have been 2 or 3 up early on and dominated the second half. If we can play at a fast tempo, our front four is good enough to take advantage of a Wolves Back Four which has a number of weaknesses. The Wolves season-ticket holder at my workplace tells me the natives are not happy with the owner & with Kenny Jackett's tactics, particularly after the sale of Stearman, so like us, there is an under-lying negativity within their fans.

Wolves play a 4-2-3-1 system. The Back Four struggles against pace and loses it's organisation when isolated against quick direct play. Reading opened them up on a number of occasions but failed to finish some good chances. The Centre Backs are slow on the turn and struggle against pace. Iorfa at Right Back struggles against pace in one-against-one situations; Ba'ath at Right Centre Back is a good header but weak on the ground; Ebanks-Landell is a right footer at left centre back, slow on the turn and fails to cover; Doherty at left back is ordinary and struggles one-against-one. Collectively, they fail to cover each other and they were caught square on a number of occasions, by the early through ball in behind or by quick counter-attacks.

In Central midfield, McDonald is a good passer, but slow around the central areas. Coady was ordinary and offered little. Edwards plays in the central position of the attacking midfield three but is not suited to the role, and rarely threatened. Reading out-played Wolves in the Central areas.

Henry on the right and Graham on the left (ex-Villa Academy), are both handy in attacking play, but weak covering back in front of the full back areas, and like us, Wolves leave the full back areas exposed against quick counter attacks. Henry is a threat in one-against-one situations and will give our left back a tough afternoon, if he the gets service to do so. Graham is a good young player and also a threat if he's gets plenty of the ball. Wolves pattern of play, is based on quick build-up play through midfield, out to the flanks, mixed up with through balls in behind the opposition Back Four.

Up front, Afobe is a handful. Quick and strong when chasing passes into space. His finishing can be erratic, but I wouldn't want to test his goals for chances ratio. He needs to be denied space to run into and our midfield needs to stop the service to him.

Wolves are very good on Set Plays. Ba'ath, Ebanks-Landell, Afobe, Iorfa and Edwards gives them 5 tall players at corners. It was ironic that Henry scored from a header at a set play, a result of poor marking (Nick Blackman). A good look at the recording of the game and the scouts report on signals and blocks, should allow us to be properly organised. (Even a 3rd Div Belgian coach should get that right).

All in all, I'm usually pessimistic but I fancy a win in this one. We need to show the tempo and desire shown against Sheff Wed to capitalise on a number of weak areas in the Wolves system. Tippy-Tappy slow build-up play won't get it done and neither will long high balls at the CF as Wolves have two CBs who are strong in the air. If we are direct in our play along the ground, this could be a similar game to the Wendies, with a similar result. So no reason to not be Positive about this game.......but don't forget to give the clueless owners/CEO as much grief as possible before and after.

Happy New Year.

Tutt Tutt for manager. I imagine there's more in that brief post that our Karel knows about Wolves.

Anyway the game. A loss. Lots of Roland out please, that's all I want to hear (minus the references to Belgium)
  • Options
    I'll be back on match thread duties tomorrow starting at 1.45......thanks to @sethplum and @paddy17 for standing in yesterday + everyone else who contributed..............after reading how we were not even at the races in the second half, the injury to Diarra, Cuz going off as he was ill, Baur out etc etc, I cant see beyond a 0-2 loss. I really want to be wrong, but KF is not working and injuries are mounting up.....our paper thin squad will not be able to cope.....well done RD!!
  • Options
    Wolves are a classic mid table team, 9 points above us, but also 9 points off the playoffs. They're recent form has been nothing special... if we can muster up another fit bodies to make a competitive team!
  • Options

Wolves are a classic mid table team, 9 points above us, but also 9 points off the playoffs. They're recent form has been nothing special... if we can muster up another fit bodies to make a competitive team!

Which is why we're the perfect team for them to be facing. If we defend anything like we've done in the past 2 games then they'll stuff us.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Wolves looked disjointed in their televised game against Reading yesterday. The result flattered them. Reading should have been 2 or 3 up early on and dominated the second half. If we can play at a fast tempo, our front four is good enough to take advantage of a Wolves Back Four which has a number of weaknesses. The Wolves season-ticket holder at my workplace tells me the natives are not happy with the owner & with Kenny Jackett's tactics, particularly after the sale of Stearman, so like us, there is an under-lying negativity within their fans.

Wolves play a 4-2-3-1 system. The Back Four struggles against pace and loses it's organisation when isolated against quick direct play. Reading opened them up on a number of occasions but failed to finish some good chances. The Centre Backs are slow on the turn and struggle against pace. Iorfa at Right Back struggles against pace in one-against-one situations; Ba'ath at Right Centre Back is a good header but weak on the ground; Ebanks-Landell is a right footer at left centre back, slow on the turn and fails to cover; Doherty at left back is ordinary and struggles one-against-one. Collectively, they fail to cover each other and they were caught square on a number of occasions, by the early through ball in behind or by quick counter-attacks.

In Central midfield, McDonald is a good passer, but slow around the central areas. Coady was ordinary and offered little. Edwards plays in the central position of the attacking midfield three but is not suited to the role, and rarely threatened. Reading out-played Wolves in the Central areas.

Henry on the right and Graham on the left (ex-Villa Academy), are both handy in attacking play, but weak covering back in front of the full back areas, and like us, Wolves leave the full back areas exposed against quick counter attacks. Henry is a threat in one-against-one situations and will give our left back a tough afternoon, if he the gets service to do so. Graham is a good young player and also a threat if he's gets plenty of the ball. Wolves pattern of play, is based on quick build-up play through midfield, out to the flanks, mixed up with through balls in behind the opposition Back Four.

Up front, Afobe is a handful. Quick and strong when chasing passes into space. His finishing can be erratic, but I wouldn't want to test his goals for chances ratio. He needs to be denied space to run into and our midfield needs to stop the service to him.

Wolves are very good on Set Plays. Ba'ath, Ebanks-Landell, Afobe, Iorfa and Edwards gives them 5 tall players at corners. It was ironic that Henry scored from a header at a set play, a result of poor marking (Nick Blackman). A good look at the recording of the game and the scouts report on signals and blocks, should allow us to be properly organised. (Even a 3rd Div Belgian coach should get that right).

All in all, I'm usually pessimistic but I fancy a win in this one. We need to show the tempo and desire shown against Sheff Wed to capitalise on a number of weak areas in the Wolves system. Tippy-Tappy slow build-up play won't get it done and neither will long high balls at the CF as Wolves have two CBs who are strong in the air. If we are direct in our play along the ground, this could be a similar game to the Wendies, with a similar result. So no reason to not be Positive about this game.......but don't forget to give the clueless owners/CEO as much grief as possible before and after.

Happy New Year.

Tutt Tutt for manager. I imagine there's more in that brief post that our Karel knows about Wolves.

Anyway the game. A loss. Lots of Roland out please, that's all I want to hear (minus the references to Belgium)
    Worth bearing in mind when the time comes to form AFC Charlton
  • Options
    I can see JJ now giving out this pre match seech......

JJ: Smell that? You smell that?
    Team: What?
    JJ: Napalm, boys. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
    [kneels]
    JJ: I love the smell of napalm in the afternoon. You know, one time we destroyed a team for over an hour and a half. When it was all over, I looked all around and not one man was left standing. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole pitch.... Smelled like victory. Someday this war's gonna end.....

3-1 after we have napalmed Wolves. Forget about all that has gone on before this game.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Would be very easy to predict 0-3 but they were awful against Reading. Surely we can't be that bad? Oh ok, 0-3.

#meireout. #fraeyeout. #foffroland.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Like a mug i will be there. I don't expect us to win again while Mr Interim is in charge . We will lose by at least two goals. 1-3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A comfy 0 - 2 for Wolves
  • Options
    Kenny Jackett v Karel Fraeye..

Says enough, 0-2 loss.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

A proper manager. Well supported with a bunch of players who have the stomach for a Championship away game. James Henry against Morgan Fox with no cover, and Afobe against the vastly experienced Lennon and Sarr. Bauer with a mystery abdominal strain which apparently meant that he could Tweet from Germany over Christmas, I am not suggesting that he was allowed to bog off home for the holidays.
    We have Karel Fraeye who will of course be right on top of the situation and will out think that naïve Kenny Jackett.

Clear 5-0 win to us.

Bit over optimistic there Seth. Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    A few of going so will be our 1st game of the season
    Make the attendance figures look good
    Coyr
  • Options
    Unpredictable - draw 1-1 and further worries
  • Options
    This is winnable, large hip flask required just in case it gets ugly (again).
  • Options
    come people lets have a bit of faith 2 -0 to us lets back the team
  • Options
    Could be anything we wont score but they will 0-4
  • Options
    0-3

Take it Wolves... it's all there on a plate, you just go and enjoy the New Year festivities!