Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bye Bye Matchday Programme?

Comments

• Options
    A programme is part of our hospitality package, is this yet another cut to what we get?
  • Options
    It seems a fairly sensible idea to be honest - if far more esteemed publications like NME have to move with the times and issue a slimmed down version for free, than I'm sure the Charlton programme can do the same. As others have said it's an anachronism in the age of the internet.

Whilst by definition it will have to contain a significant number of advertisements, it will also have to contain a reasonable amount of real content else no-one will pick it up regardless of its free distribution.

From a profitability point of view, others will know the possibilities better than me but a programme which perhaps 80-90% of people would pick up as opposed to the current much lower percentage may drive advertising revenue which offsets the loss of sales revenue (and in addition production costs will be lower too). In addition there would presumably be greater scope for having say a wraparound advertising cover similar to the ones regularly offered with the Evening Standard or Metro.
  • Options

Boycott anyone who advertises. in it and let the advertisers know it. Won't be anyone paying for advertising then.

Come to think of it is there a list of cafc sponsors and advertisers who could be contacted to suggest they'll be boycotted if they dont withdraw? Would hit the owner in the pocket and his ceo can continue to wax lyrical about how little value fans' revenue is.

Excellent suggestion.
  • Options
    A Boycott by the 2% will be of no interest to them. ;-)
  • Options

It seems a fairly sensible idea to be honest - if far more esteemed publications like NME have to move with the times and issue a slimmed down version for free, than I'm sure the Charlton programme can do the same. As others have said it's an anachronism in the age of the internet.

Whilst by definition it will have to contain a significant number of advertisements, it will also have to contain a reasonable amount of real content else no-one will pick it up regardless of its free distribution.

From a profitability point of view, others will know the possibilities better than me but a programme which perhaps 80-90% of people would pick up as opposed to the current much lower percentage may drive advertising revenue which offsets the loss of sales revenue (and in addition production costs will be lower too). In addition there would presumably be greater scope for having say a wraparound advertising cover similar to the ones regularly offered with the Evening Standard or Metro.

Disagree 100%,another crackpot idea from the deluded one.
    Nme and the Standard and the Metro are all awful publications anyway.
  • Options
    North upper and West upper next I presume.
  • Options

NME is rubbish now but it used to be a serious publication for music fans.

Metro has always been bizarre to me - regurgitates two day old stories from news agencies yet people still pick it up.

I think the Evening Standard is pretty decent for a free newspaper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The difference between the Charlton programme and the freebies handed out to commuters is the potential circulation. Pay to advertise in the Evening Standard and you potentially hit more than a million people (including rereads), by the time KM has finished her work there'll be a potential audience of about 5k for the Charlton programme and they probably won't be interested enough to read it. It'll be full of £10 ads for the local corner shop or folks trying to sell an old pram.

Or their old Charlton programme collections
  • Options

Yes of course there is some sense in this.

However to make it work the advertisers need to feel they they will get exposure and association with a growing/postive brand.

We offer falling attendances and probably relegation. The readers would not be seeing any advertising it a particularly positive frame of mind. Not a publication I would advertise in.

Like everything these idiots do, it starts with a reasonable idea, but all associated consequences are ignored. Either that or the whole thing is so badly managed it is bound to fail.

Regardless of how the team is doing, I'm sure given the vast marketing budgets at the betting companies there'd be interest in wrapping the programme with a sponsored cover with some special offers on say the next game if fans open an account between now and then.
  • Options

The difference between the Charlton programme and the freebies handed out to commuters is the potential circulation. Pay to advertise in the Evening Standard and you potentially hit more than a million people (including rereads), by the time KM has finished her work there'll be a potential audience of about 5k for the Charlton programme and they probably won't be interested enough to read it. It'll be full of £10 ads for the local corner shop or folks trying to sell an old pram.

Exactly. There wasn't a market for programme ads at Charlton in the Premier League when we could sell 10,000 plus copies.
  • Options

Football without programmes is like a knife without a fork, it does not work.
    I agree with that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will we actually have to pay £3 for this Advertisement book?
  • Options
    I used to buy the programme religiously. Still do for concerts, panto etc. My usual habit is to read it the following day.

However, after the Bolton match I slung it on the side, and only found it when clearing up on Boxing day. That has now joined the list of things I'm boycotting, including not buying anything from the shop, food & drink, even beer!

When these jokers, I will return to buying stuff, including programmes. I still enjoy reading them, and many fans do. She cannot be allowed to make this cut!
  • Options

Football without programmes is like a knife without a fork, it does not work.
    Agreed but tell that to an American, have you ever seen one eat a meal properly with a knife and fork :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    My son is collecting the cards. That was probably one of the few good ideas to come from the club. Not from my perspective as I can't be bothered to read the programme, VOTV is much more interesting, but as a way of selling the things.
  • Options

Terrible idea. A programme is more than a publication designed to give information. My Dad used to buy me one every week when I was young and I still have them all and occasionally read through them. It's like a book designed to give me nostalgia from that particular day. Imagine looking back through your old 'programmes' and finding 100 advert covered leaflets...

They're ripping the heart and soul from this club. All the way from the players to the fucking programmes.

Music to my ears ...... Gives me hope as a designer. Try explaining that to this CEO on what percentage of 'profi't that appears on the balance sheet.

• Options
    I'm sure the litter in and around the stadium will increase dramatically. People generally take their programs home, I'm sure these will all be dumped on the floor once people notice that it's just a few pages of ads.
  • Options
    IA said:

Metro has always been bizarre to me - regurgitates two day old stories from news agencies yet people still pick it up.
    I only pick up the Metro for the horoscopes. If the new programme has horoscopes, then KM might be on to a winner.
    This is KM we're talking about, so horrorscopes would be nearer the mark.
  • Options

Exactly. There wasn't a market for programme ads at Charlton in the Premier League when we could sell 10,000 plus copies.
    But couldn't a slimmed down free version of a programme be distributed much more broadly (and not just in the vicinity of the ground)?

Obviously I'm comparing apples with oranges but NME has gone from a paid circulation of 15,000 to a free circulation of 300,000.
  • Options
    I can see the business logic, but it comes across as another Meire 'Apprentice' brainwave and her timing is, yet again, amazing. It also shows they can't sell the advertising as they wouldn't be doing it otherwise. It also shows the falling attendances, so whatever they claim come to each match, it is obviously less. Or perhaps it indicates our ambitions to plan for life in Division 2.