Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bye Bye Matchday Programme?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Is that why there aren't any - you have shot them all?
  • Options
    The first few times I came to the valley with the boy we bought an official program and a voice of the valley. Then we found it harder to buy an official program and easier to buy a vice of the valley, which we found more interesting.

Now that's all wrong. It should be easier to buy a program and it should be at least as interesting as the voice.

So it's a lack of ability and a choice of the club to shut the program. It's worth a big boo, shameless.
  • Options

Vice of the valley available through selected outlets. POA. It is what you want it to be.

Cheers mate I'll give a try next time but I've gotta say I'm not into all that bondage stuff :wink: .
  • Options
    Vice of the valley has the same articles but the pics are a bit raunchier.
  • Options
    Vice = bondage is a bit literal? Actual use of vices? Only in a club takeover situation.
  • Options
    Vice of the Valley? Does that indicate 2 new signings in Crocket and Tubbs?
  • Options
    Programmes have come and gone - first games I went to in the 60's they weren't much more than an editorial (very deadpan, uninformative and slanted from the point of view of the Gliksten's) + team sheet + half a page on the opposition + adverts......of which there were a great many. In fact for some years local employers advertised vacancies - SE Gas Board being one. Literally turn up on Monday morning at the works in North Greenwich and apply, sit a test and you stood a chance of getting a job with pension + uniform + canteen etc.

But I digress.

The only good bit of the programme for many years was the Football League Review. Wish we had something like that now.

All through the 80's and 90's the match day programme expanded into a miniature and quite expensive mag in full colour. But what does it actually tell us?

Since the internet took off you can get far more in depth detail on ourselves and the opposition at no cost at all. Charlton Life does a decent appraisal of each match in advance and VOTV provides critical reviews of the club and games and genuinely informative articles.

So......if/when the programme goes back to being a team sheet + adverts it's not the end of the world. Admittedly, though, it's symbolic of the club looking constantly to save money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1StevieG said:

Vice of the Valley? Does that indicate 2 new signings in Crocket and Tubbs?

We're more likely to get Crocked and Tubby.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

If you follow football in Holland or Belgium that is the norm,no programmes.We are english and noway do i want Charlton to walk down that street.
    Other things that go on in football in Belgium i will comment on later.

But English football is also about high prices, SIDDAAHN!, not being able to drink, being treated like crap by the league and FA and yet more high prices. If you can take an idea from elsewhere and make it work here, good.

There's nothing wrong in principle with the idea of giving everyone a slimmed-down freebie programme. But as it seems the current programme turns a profit and people like having a chunky souvenir of their day that gives them something to read, it's beyond madness to get rid of it. (Doesn't KM's Spurs cabbie like a souvenir of his day slumming it with us?) And the free sheet gives you the logistical problem of ending up with loads of dumped copies all over the place.

I guess the whole Crossbars/fans' bar thing is a similar example - I went to FC St Pauli a few months ago and one of the bars in the stands was open after the match, you could actually just walk in off the street for a drink if you wanted to. Must be a nice money-spinner for them, but it's not something I can see working here for logistical and (maybe) licensing reasons (and probably has never really worked in the case of Bartram's/Floyd's).