Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

An Open Letter to our CEO

Comments

• Options
    KM is a naïve young woman. She is loyal to her employer – I wouldn’t be surprised if she worships him. So whatever he says she follows and believes it is right. What she says about fans will almost certainly be what he has told her. I know lots of young enthusiastic people like her, who basically haven’t got a clue. How do you get them to understand their deficiencies. Basically you can’t. They need the lessons of life to teach them what they need to know. I'm sure the 60 year old KM will be full of regrets about this.

She can’t continue to manage her role from a bunker and she can’t wage a war with supporters as neither make good business sense. But she will, and there can be no room for sentiment. Roland is a COWARD as well as a FOOL and he hides away in another country. We have to really focus the campaign on her to the point where she realises it isn’t worth it anymore. That in itself will hurt the coward.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    A response from Bethany is shown below-:

Hi Malcolm, (aka RedMidland)
    Thank you for sharing my open letter on Charlton life. It's brilliant to hear it has so many views already! I would be interested to know how many views it gets over the next 48 hours.
    I have requested to be a member of Charlton Life so that I can personally respond to some of the messages. I think my request is awaiting approval.
    Kind regards,
    Bethany Archer

I guess Bethany will let you know if it can be printed and handed over when she has access to this site. @AFKABartram will she be granted access in time for Saturday?
  • Options
    Hi RedM, can you tell Bethany its been approved (the approval sometimes goes to spam folders)
  • Options

Hi RedM, can you tell Bethany its been approved (the approval sometimes goes to spam folders)

Yep will do
  • Options

Done
  • Options
    This is one of the first bits of Duchatelet/Meire criticism I've seen that I can side with. It really is about communication, empathy, employing a real manager and covering quickly for injured players. Gets to the nub of it.

If there's one thing I disagree with it is the 'fans as customers' thing - of course it goes deeper than this but in a way Meire is being naively honest and showing that she thinks of us in terms of the bottom line, which is to be expected. It is certainly true that she could be more political, but as far as she is concerned we are customers, and I have no problem with this - as long as she keeps the prices low then I'm perfectly content to turn up. My turning up is a personal attachment that she has nothing to do with. I wish more felt the same.
  • Options
    itsmyball said:

It's just an idea to get something to her .

It is an open letter so no reason for you to not give a copy to KM

She can wipe her tears on it later
  • Options
    Leuth said:

This is one of the first bits of Duchatelet/Meire criticism I've seen that I can side with. It really is about communication, empathy, employing a real manager and covering quickly for injured players. Gets to the nub of it.

If there's one thing I disagree with it is the 'fans as customers' thing - of course it goes deeper than this but in a way Meire is being naively honest and showing that she thinks of us in terms of the bottom line, which is to be expected. It is certainly true that she could be more political, but as far as she is concerned we are customers, and I have no problem with this - as long as she keeps the prices low then I'm perfectly content to turn up. My turning up is a personal attachment that she has nothing to do with. I wish more felt the same.

So you're content to go as long as the prices are low, regardless of the 'product' you are receiving?
  • Options

Leuth said:

So you're content to go as long as the prices are low, regardless of the 'product' you are receiving?
    Yes. It is blind faith, sure. And before you all tell me to go to Welling United instead, well the football is still better at Charlton, the stadium nicer, the atmosphere richer and the club one I've supported since early childhood.

I am not saying that everyone should have these standards, but personally I am going to turn up no matter what league we're in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Yes. It is blind faith, sure. And before you all tell me to go to Welling United instead, well the football is still better at Charlton, the stadium nicer, the atmosphere richer and the club one I've supported since early childhood.

I am not saying that everyone should have these standards, but personally I am going to turn up no matter what league we're in
    I wasn't gonna mention going non-league because I get the blind faith thing. I just don't get why you don't feel more angry or aggressive towards a regime that seem so happy to bang on about fans being customers but so careless towards the actual 'product' they are providing.
  • Options
    Well done Beth on the emotive letter, although given KM's arrogance I doubt that it will affect her decision making.

I cant believe she said 'our players are not the best'! How demotivating is that? I wouldn't expect any of my staff to be motivated if I slated them in public.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Customers create the demand for the product - and given current quality the demand is very low. Given supply and demand dictates the price of a product Leuth I'd expect you'll get your wish that prices will remain low for the foreseeable.
  • Options
  • Options

Hi all, thank you for your comments regarding my letter and thank you for sharing on here. It has been brilliant to see that so many Charlton fans share my view.
    As for handing the letter to Katrien, I think she is unlikely to accept it. I have been advised send her a private and confidential letter. If I do not receive a response within 3 weeks the I'll be in touch regarding a personal handing over of the letter - I want to keep this as professional as possible to maximise the likelihood of a response (however small that chance is).

I am also trying to get this letter into Voice of the Valley and also into the media, as I think it's a great opportunity for what's happening to be heard by football fans across the country.

Please do get in touch if you know any ways of getting this letter into the media.

Once again, thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Please feel free to contact me at beth.archer@live.co.uk.

All the best and a Happy New Year.

Bethany Archer

@lexvarney on Twitter is Peter Varney's son. He's also an editor at Talksport. If you send it to him he might be able to get it publicised on one of the shows. The text from his latest tweet is shown below ....

For anyone doubting my dad's intentions.. don't! There's no bigger #cafc fan. Doesn't need to get involved but wants to see the club prosper
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    1 e-mail it to katrien.meire@cafc.co.uk. I e mailed a very similar letter, which will of course not be replied to. She does not reply to her customers. She says we are customers, yet NEVER responds to letters of complaint.

2 Please please please hand it to her at the game. I would if I was sat in there.

3 Print it off and hand it to her, when she walks down Floyd Road from the train station, usually some time after 1pm on matchdays.

• Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

I wasn't gonna mention going non-league because I get the blind faith thing. I just don't get why you don't feel more angry or aggressive towards a regime that seem so happy to bang on about fans being customers but so careless towards the actual 'product' they are providing.
    I'm not more angry because in theory I actually really like the idea of trying to run a football club sustainably and still find relative success (which, for now, would be staying in this league until our model strengthens). For two seasons it's shown a bit of promise. Only in the last few months have things gone truly south, with some rotten injury luck combined with some poor preparation for the rotten injury luck and latterly a management appointment that just isn't working. I find all the stuff about disrespecting the fans a bit of a sideshow. Although the chips are really overpriced, it's true.

My open letter to RD and KM would go as follows:

Hey, I know this league is a piece of f**king work and our fans are girding the flaming torches as I type but you chaps can help yourselves here. It might need a teensy tiny bit of overspending now, but it may well save more unsavoury spending down the line. Your remit is very simple: replace Fraeye with a real manager now, sign 2 or 3 players in key positions and give survival a real crack. Don't bother with communication for a while. You can't help betraying your purely financial attachment to the club and we can't help twisting your every word into an act of war. Let's build a better tomorrow, shall we? Cheers, L
  • Options

KM is a naïve young woman. She is loyal to her employer – She can’t continue to manage her role from a bunker and she can’t wage a war with supporters as neither make good business sense. But she will, and there can be no room for sentiment. Roland is a COWARD as well as a FOOL and he hides away in another country. We have to really focus the campaign on her to the point where she realises it isn’t worth it anymore. That in itself will hurt the coward.

I thought that for a while ... young, naive etc - but in recent months I have changed my mind. I now think she is a rather unpleasant, arrogant businesswoman who is simply not good enough as a CEO, communicator or man manager. She nedds to be left in no doubt she is not wanted. No personal, sexist or racist chanting. But just no-holes-barred and constant venom. Same goes for her interim manager. He is simply not up to the job and the longer he stays the worse things will be. At least we can force her hand into making her next appointment. That will tell us all we need to know about whether she is listening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My open letter to KM:

As a boy, I was taken to the north bank at Highbury by my dad. He brought in a wooden stool that I stood on and Arsenal were my club. If I was lucky, I would get some peanuts – Percy Daltons in the shell. I recall Arsenal getting beat in the cup final against Leeds and decided not to support them anymore and become a St Helens Rugby league fan. As a glory seeking 8 year old, I had had enough. Then my Grandad retired and spent a lot of his new found time with me. I remember often going fishing with him, and never catching any fish. He taught me patience. He always insisted in using bread as bait and taught me to resist the temptation to check the bread had not disintegrated from the hook too soon. So we were effectively fishing with just a hook in the water for most of the time! But I didn’t care, he had a cracking sense of humour and I loved spending time with him.

In 1975, when I was 11 he decided to take me to a football match. For some reason it was Millwall v Charlton at the Den. I recall it was a 1-1 draw. He took me again next season to the same fixture – again, I think it was a 1-1 draw with Lawrie Abrahams scoring for us. He asked me if I wanted to go more often. I said I did, but I didn’t like the blue team, could we go and see Charlton. He said they were a London team so why not.

I was probably at just the right age, but I really fell in love with Charlton at this point. I recall beating Blackpool 3-0 at the Valley and thinking this is my club. I remember being incredibly nervous before games and sharing some great moments with Grandad who himself become a Charlton fan. I recall the 4-1 victory over Spurs, heroes like Paddy Powell, Killer, Mike Flanagan and Nicky Johns that I shared with him. When my Grandad passed away, I kept going. I feel closer to him when I am at the Valley in a strange way. Charlton are not a business to me, they are something I love with all my heart. One of my first dates with my future wife was to the Valley. It was a message to her that if she was serious about me she would have to take on Charlton too. She did and she accompanies me to games with our 14 year old son who was christened at the Valley and has been a mascot twice. As a young boy he absolutely worshipped Darren Bent. I recall him and his team mates often being asked by coaches etc... who their favourite players was - you would get the Rooneys and Ronaldos but his response always took the questioner back! I converted my brother and he comes to games too.

There are moments I have shared with Charlton that I will take to my grave. The glory may have not have been constant but it meant more for that. The Curbishley years including the play-off final, winning the Championship and League One titles, players who have graced the shirt. Seeing DiCanio, Simonsen and Costa in a Charlton shirt. Superclive, Carl Leaburn (I was a fan), Sir Chris (so proud when he got his England caps) and my favourite ever player, Richard Rufus. Peter Shirtliff’s two goals in the play off final against Leeds – running back to the station for my life after the game. Stevie Gritt and Robbo – seemingly limited players who just had hearts so big, they became Charlton greats. Lennie Lawrence, and of course Curbs - the greatest! This isn’t a restaurant you stupid cow, it is my life.

Fecking brilliant.
  • Options
    Great last line Muttley!!!
  • Options
    Muttley's final sentence needs to go viral!
    Having seen a pic of KM sitting protected by the Chief Stewards, could they be a conduit for getting a copy of Beth's letter to its destination?
  • Options

Hi all, thank you for your comments regarding my letter and thank you for sharing on here. It has been brilliant to see that so many Charlton fans share my view.
    As for handing the letter to Katrien, I think she is unlikely to accept it. I have been advised send her a private and confidential letter. If I do not receive a response within 3 weeks the I'll be in touch regarding a personal handing over of the letter - I want to keep this as professional as possible to maximise the likelihood of a response (however small that chance is).

I am also trying to get this letter into Voice of the Valley and also into the media, as I think it's a great opportunity for what's happening to be heard by football fans across the country.

Please do get in touch if you know any ways of getting this letter into the media.

Once again, thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Please feel free to contact me at beth.archer@live.co.uk.

All the best and a Happy New Year.

Bethany Archer

Hi Bethany

Regarding media coverage a group of people on CL are pooling their connections in that area.

Are you the type who would be ready to go on - probably -radio, but possibly TV?

Brilliant letter.
  • Options
    chilham said:

Muttley's final sentence needs to go viral!
    Having seen a pic of KM sitting protected by the Chief Stewards, could they be a conduit for getting a copy of Beth's letter to its destination?

Stewards are paid by the club so will not help, and can see why. Look at how they act when confronted with scarves or banners. I expect the approach of the stewards to start getting more aggressive as the protests grow.
  • Options
    itsmyball said:

Nah it's a great view from there of the game .

Sorry to hear that mate. ;-)
  • Options
    How about we all print a copy of Beth's letter - bring it to the game. Turn it into a paper aeroplane and send it flying onto the pitch. She will probably get to read it then! And a few thousand of those will delay the match and bring publicity.
  • Options

How about we all print a copy of Beth's letter - bring it to the game. Turn it into a paper aeroplane and send it flying onto the pitch. She will probably get to read it then! And a few thousand of those will delay the match and bring publicity.

More chance of her swallowing one mid-laugh than actually reading it
  • Options
    The press could pick up on it if her letter is on every plane. We could start it by saying, Dear Katrien - we are sending this message from a young lady fan to you by air mail as we know you don't read any e-mails.
  • Options

My open letter to KM:

As a boy, I was taken to the north bank at Highbury by my dad. He brought in a wooden stool that I stood on and Arsenal were my club. If I was lucky, I would get some peanuts – Percy Daltons in the shell. I recall Arsenal getting beat in the cup final against Leeds and decided not to support them anymore and become a St Helens Rugby league fan. As a glory seeking 8 year old, I had had enough. Then my Grandad retired and spent a lot of his new found time with me. I remember often going fishing with him, and never catching any fish. He taught me patience. He always insisted in using bread as bait and taught me to resist the temptation to check the bread had not disintegrated from the hook too soon. So we were effectively fishing with just a hook in the water for most of the time! But I didn’t care, he had a cracking sense of humour and I loved spending time with him.

In 1975, when I was 11 he decided to take me to a football match. For some reason it was Millwall v Charlton at the Den. I recall it was a 1-1 draw. He took me again next season to the same fixture – again, I think it was a 1-1 draw with Lawrie Abrahams scoring for us. He asked me if I wanted to go more often. I said I did, but I didn’t like the blue team, could we go and see Charlton. He said they were a London team so why not.

I was probably at just the right age, but I really fell in love with Charlton at this point. I recall beating Blackpool 3-0 at the Valley and thinking this is my club. I remember being incredibly nervous before games and sharing some great moments with Grandad who himself become a Charlton fan. I recall the 4-1 victory over Spurs, heroes like Paddy Powell, Killer, Mike Flanagan and Nicky Johns that I shared with him. When my Grandad passed away, I kept going. I feel closer to him when I am at the Valley in a strange way. Charlton are not a business to me, they are something I love with all my heart. One of my first dates with my future wife was to the Valley. It was a message to her that if she was serious about me she would have to take on Charlton too. She did and she accompanies me to games with our 14 year old son who was christened at the Valley and has been a mascot twice. As a young boy he absolutely worshipped Darren Bent. I recall him and his team mates often being asked by coaches etc... who their favourite players was - you would get the Rooneys and Ronaldos but his response always took the questioner back! I converted my brother and he comes to games too.

There are moments I have shared with Charlton that I will take to my grave. The glory may have not have been constant but it meant more for that. The Curbishley years including the play-off final, winning the Championship and League One titles, players who have graced the shirt. Seeing DiCanio, Simonsen and Costa in a Charlton shirt. Superclive, Carl Leaburn (I was a fan), Sir Chris (so proud when he got his England caps) and my favourite ever player, Richard Rufus. Peter Shirtliff’s two goals in the play off final against Leeds – running back to the station for my life after the game. Stevie Gritt and Robbo – seemingly limited players who just had hearts so big, they became Charlton greats. Lennie Lawrence, and of course Curbs - the greatest! This isn’t a restaurant you stupid cow, it is my life.

Very good Muttley. The problem is she will not understand most of it.