Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Poyet anybody???? (ed. on loan for rest of season)

Comments

• Options
    Poyet’s original introduction into Charlton’s first-team back in January 2014 came in similar circumstances to that which the club find themselves in now.

Fighting to maintain their status as a Championship club, Charlton were strengthened by the youngster’s emergence before securing an 18th-place finish under Jose Riga and then assistant Karel Fraeye.

And the Uruguay U20 international says he is fully prepared for the battle which awaits him this time round.

“I know what we have to face in the next couple of months,” explained Poyet.

“I’m excited. We did it last time I was here and we finished really well. I’ve been training with the lads and we’ve got a good set of players here so I’m confident if we do the right things we’ll pick up results and we will be fine.

“It’s about getting results, picking up points and staying in the Championship. I’m excited and, hopefully, we can get some good wins, especially at home, to get all the fans together with the team like we did a couple of seasons ago and stay up.”

The 20-year-old added: “I’ve played 20 games this season, plus the five with West Ham in the Europa League, so I feel fit and I’m ready.

“The gaffer put a good training session on this morning and I’m feeling good.”

Meanwhile, Poyet insists that he understood the supporters’ disappointment following his departure in 2014, but hopes the fans can get behind him and his teammates as the Addicks look to turn their season around.

“I don’t expect the fans to welcome me with open arms,” he admitted.

“It would be nice, obviously, but I don’t expect that. I just want to help the club and my teammates and I want to make sure that Charlton stay in the Championship.

“This is a big club and the minimum it deserves is to be in the Championship
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Whilst this is a good move, good player and all that, it's so frustrating that this happens every January and appeases a few fans before the circus starts again in August.

We are in a relegation fight and need players for crying out loud
    Hence why I said it is a good move....

It's frustrating that they make these moves every January to avoid relegation. Why not make decent signings in August, so we don't even get into a relation dogfight?
    Two words: Ahmed Kashi

We wouldn't be signing Poyet now if he wasn't crocked
    so true
  • Options

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-diego-poyet-interview-2884719.aspx

Diego Poyet revealed his delight at making his return to The Valley after re-joining the club on loan on Monday afternoon.

The academy graduate made his Addicks debut during a hugely impressive 2013/14 season which saw him named Player of the Year, before leaving to joining West Ham United in the Premier League.

But after being presented with the opportunity to return to the club which he first joined as an 11-year old, the midfielder admitted he could not wait to get started in the red of Charlton once again.

“It feels good to be back,” said the midfielder.

“Karel Fraeye first made contact with my agent and straight away I was really excited about the idea.

“I spoke to him and we got it done as quickly as possible. I’m just looking forward to the rest of the season.

“I was a little bit nervous last night, but excited about coming in and seeing the boys. I didn’t tell any of them that I was coming in, so it was a bit of a surprise to some of them seeing me pull in this morning!

“It’s been really nice to see everyone, including staff who have known me over the years, so it’s been really nice.

“I’ve finished my first training session, I really enjoyed it and I’m glad to be back.

Reckon this would have been a nice lift to some of the players seeing him turn up out of the blue :)

Yes a nice lift after it had given them a good kick up the arse!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

----------Hendo
    Solly - Bauer - Johnson - Williams
    ----------Poyet
    ---Cousins------Jacko
    JBG----------------Harriott
    --------Lookman

When everyone is fit doesn't look bad to me

CAFCsayer said:

----------Hendo
    ----------Poyet
    ---Cousins------Jacko
    --------Lookman

No room for player of the season Diarra?
    Jacko over Diarra no thanks
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

----------Hendo
    ----------Poyet
    ---Cousins------Jacko
    --------Lookman

CAFCsayer said:

----------Hendo
    ----------Poyet
    ---Cousins------Jacko
    --------Lookman

No room for player of the season Diarra?
    Jacko over Diarra no thanks
    But then your going too Defensive wouldnt you say? - Neither Poyet or Diarra like to get forward so we wouldnt be much of a threat
  • Options
    Booooo
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Whilst this is a good move, good player and all that, it's so frustrating that this happens every January and appeases a few fans before the circus starts again in August.

It's frustrating that they make these moves every January to avoid relegation. Why not make decent signings in August, so we don't even get into a relation dogfight?

Buy cheap buy twice
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Buy cheap buy twice
    Kashi had a good injury record and was obviously a good player at this level
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ----------Hendo
    ----------Diarra
    ---Cousins------Poyet
    --------Makienok
  • Options
    Would never have returned if he knew how poor the manager is, good job he had already gone when CF became manager
  • Options
    I feel that DP was in a very similar situation to Dale Stephens. Both good players that are comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass, who would be incredibly valuable to us if they receive the ball on half way or in the final 3rd.

In my eyes, their talents were wasted in their time with us by having them sat in front of the back 4. We now have Diarra for this, so let them 'do their thing' higher up the pitch and give our poor strikers a chance.
  • Options
    Good to have you back Tango.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Addicted said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Buy cheap buy twice
    Kashi had a good injury record and was obviously a good player at this level
    I cant find any details regarding his injuries but he played 77 games in 3 years at Metz before coming here and 85 in the 5 years before that. That's not full seasons.

And I'm not certain he's a 'good player at this level'. I think he started brightly, scored a worldy in the cup but then began to seem a bit one dimensional. Not sure he's played enough to judge either way.

Either way you're right in saying that Poyet is a temp replacement for him in the squad. Whether thats a good decision or not I dont know, but it feels like we're getting back with our exs
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

so true
    The minimum you need in each position is two players. You could say that Diarra is the second holding midfielder, but then considering we only had two centre halves at the start of the season he was essential cover there too, and when you start relying on one player to fill several roles you see your 'squad' unravel at the first sight of injury. It's true that Poyet is covering Kashi's injury, but it's still an indictment of our consistent refusal to sign enough players to get us through a punishing season.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    He's so excited to play for us which is why he couldn't bear the idea of signing a new contract
  • Options
    Delighted with the news, let's be honest we were all gutted he went, the way he went, what he went for!! etc etc BUT we were ALL raving about the boy when he broke into our first team in a very difficult time and done extremely well.
    He will bring some new enthusiasm some new energy and more importantly some class, who knows we might even keep him if he does well for us and is surplus to West Hams requirements?
    Definitely feels like a new signing, can't wait to see him back in that red shirt (or purple or white or black!!!)

COYR..........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's hope this frees up Cousins to get back to his best form again.
  • Options

That's 2/2 for me! Let's see if I can get a hatrick???

Well done, much appreciated.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

CAFCsayer said:

----------Hendo
    ----------Poyet
    ---Cousins------Jacko
    --------Lookman

Nice...

I'd go with a similar line up, dropping Jacko for Makienok to play up top.
    Kermit surely?
  • Options
    Kermo AND Makienok. Have at it ;)
  • Options
    I've known a few restaurants, tbf...
  • Options
    I can see what Katrien is trying to do with this reversing time idea. Suppose she has to give everything a shot.
  • Options

I'm happy to open up the JC v DP debate again.....
    DP for me !

I agree, it's not even debatable, if we're judging them on their Charlton performances.

Poyet was MOM nearly every game he played.

I just prey he can reproduce the same.
  • Options

Putting aside the manner of his departure, I'm pretty amazed at some of those questioning what he gave us in the 2nd half of the 13/14 season.
    He was absolutely outstanding in the defensive midfield role, which lead to him being voted our Player of the Year. For me he was the biggest reason we eventually managed to avoid relegation that season.
    If he stays fit, he is going to be a huge player for us from now until the end of the season.

Agree with this totally. I am happy to see him come in and am sure that a couple of good performances will see the fans take to him again. In my opinion he is exactly what we have been missing in midfield.

• Options
    just in case anyone was wondering as I was, why he wasn't being played at Milton Keynes...

http://www.concreteroundabout.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=16209