Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rhys Williams on initial loan

Comments

• edited January 2016

Claims he's in the best shape in his life.... I guess the big question is...for how long.
  • Fight the board, back the players. Give this guy a chance

This, well said - Focus on the board people but back the players ffs.
  • Shrew said:

Claims he's in the best shape in his life.... I guess the big question is...for how long.
    After a double Achilles tear and two subsequent operations. I doubt it!
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Shrew said:

Did for Jon Fortune.
  • Supposed to be a good player before his injury. Hope he brings some ability to tackle to the back line. Welcome rhys
  • edited January 2016
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Shrew said:

I did put on a link from an interview on Middlesborough twitter but its disappeared .

http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2014/rhys-williams-charlton-athletic-boro-2879926.aspx
  • DRAddick said:

1StevieG said:

Typical response. Not started a game for us yet and already condemned. Good luck Rhys.

Typical response from someone who doesn't understand. Nothing to do with the player, he is, well was, a very decent player. It's the system people are morning at and the type of players we're constantly recruiting I.e. Knackered , hardly played any football and with a good chance of becoming injured.
    I understand. Completely. We haven't signed Sergio Ramos so this fella just ain't cutting the mustard. He has been signed for initial 28 day loan. Emergency cover for our depleted defence. Who are we going to get for 28 days?
  • Hmm, ability/experience wise it seems like the sort of loan move we should be making but if we are taking on a lot of his wage and using up our budget for the month I'd be wary of using it all on a guy who Cory Gibbs would call injury prone. Will obviously give him a chance though as I know Boro fans were really high on him a couple of years ago.

Is he available for selection today?
  • Sponsored links:

• We all know that if he does well the 17 centre halves at Boro in front of him in the pecking order will all get injured/illnesses and he will be recalled in two weeks
  • Was their club captain we certainly need some more leaders on the pitch other than JJ. Welcome to the network Rhys.
  • edited January 2016
    Good player.

Best comparison I've got for those who don't know of him is Boro's version of Solly.

Fan favourite
    Came through academy
    Plays in defence
    Both can play in midfield if short of numbers.

Though, if we had Solly just coming back from injury do you think we would've had him in the U21s for five weeks and then loaned out for fitness?

Shows a massive gap in the quality of the two squads that Boro can afford a luxury like loaning out a Chris Solly calibre player.
  • Happy to give the guy a chance but another example of the incompetence of KM's day to day running of the club. Plucking an injured player from another team in the same division who wouldn't have a sniff with them. He'll be an extra body, but won't save our season, or even massively improve the back 4 (who have been shocking this season).

If this is the best they can muster in terms of trying to fight back against the tide of discontent then it is very, very feeble. But I expect nothing less from them after the 2 years they've had here

• Boro fans don't think he's fit enough to last 90 mins, also very injury prone.
  • Fuck... how desperate must he be?
  • Apparently will come straight in for Sarr today. WTF does that say about Sarr
  • Sarr was quite good in the last game. Karel otoh is useless
  • And there, in a nutshell, is the ambition and footballing knowledge of of our shit cart of a football club.
    RD is almost a billionaire right? It's a bloody travesty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh goody, I'm so excited.
  • What a joke
  • If he does come in for sarr surely they need to look to offload sarr, free up some money and bring in a replacement. Lennon needs to learn more off an experienced head but you can see potential.

Sarr to me just doesn't look confident put in a tackle.

Let's hope Williams stays fit and actually helps us. His injury history is not promising but not going to right him off before he kicks a ball for us
  • cabbles said:

Happy to give the guy a chance but another example of the incompetence of KM's day to day running of the club. Plucking an injured player from another team in the same division who wouldn't have a sniff with them. He'll be an extra body, but won't save our season, or even massively improve the back 4 (who have been shocking this season).

If this is the best they can muster in terms of trying to fight back against the tide of discontent then it is very, very feeble. But I expect nothing less from them after the 2 years they've had here

errr....I don't see that. I don't believe KM is picking the payers. Someone on the football side will have identified them. Whether they are qualified is a different question.

We have to wait and see if he is any good.

My gripe is the lack of info in the article. Is it a short term signing for injury cover or with a view to a longer term deal?
  • SDAddick said:

Madz said:

If he does come in for sarr surely they need to look to offload sarr, free up some money and bring in a replacement. Lennon needs to learn more off an experienced head but you can see potential.

Sarr to me just doesn't look confident put in a tackle.

Keep in mind he's a 21/22 year old center half who came through the Lyon academy and whom we bought from Sporting. He is very raw, and it's incredibly unfortunate that there isn't a more experienced center half to guide him, but there is definitely talent there. During the Ipswich match, the commentator for American telly was talking about having seen him at the Toulon Tournament a couple years ago where he was one of the stand-out players in the tounrament.

He's spent six months in the Championship so far, playing on and off and often when others are unfit. At least give him a chance to grow into the league. It's not his fault he's one of three center halves 23 or younger none of whom had Championship experience coming in to this season.
    To be honest wrote that quickly on my phone so missed some additional info backing up what I've said. My point about sarr is if they keep dropping him for whoever else is available (bringing Lennon back and then this guy) then they clearly don't rate him so why not sell on.
  • Yes, good point and fair enough. If that keeps happening then at least send him on loan somewhere.
  • Cheap and short-term, and won't be here by August. Same old.
  • SDAddick said:

Yes, good point and fair enough. If that keeps happening then at least send him on loan somewhere.

FYI I do agree with what you said about giving him a chance as he is young. Just saying if managers not playing him why keep him. I want all players who play for us to be successful
  • Madz said:

SDAddick said:

Yes, good point and fair enough. If that keeps happening then at least send him on loan somewhere.

FYI I do agree with what you said about giving him a chance as he is young. Just saying if managers not playing him why keep him. I want all players who play for us to be successful
    Completely understand and sorry if I was quick to judgement, I understand the quick phone response doesn't always get context across :)