Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rhys Williams on initial loan

Comments

• 1StevieG said:

Looked good. Barking out the orders when he came on to keep it tight and made use of the ball when he had it.

I wasn't there. Was he passing around bits of paper then ?

• So now we're nothing more than a clinic for other players to get fit at? Sad. If you think signing a player on a 28 day loan spell whilst he gets fit enough to return to his club is going to pacify the fans.......oh wait a minute, that looks exactly like what's happened?
  • I understand he has a clause whereby he must play in every game if fit - which is probably a good thing
  • Many commented that he came on to the pitch and was 'organising' everything. I could have come on, touched the ball twice, and pointed and yelled and I would be a lot cheaper.
    He was generally ignored and bypassed by the other players, who when they could have given him the ball in a bit of space, chose to play it towards another team mate.
    There will be only one reason to play him from my point of view, if we escape relegation. There is another reason to play him from his and Boro's point of view, to get him match fitter in a tough environment...escaping relegation will not matter to them.
    New bloke, be brilliant and prove my scepticism wrong.
  • braydex said:

So now we're nothing more than a clinic for other players to get fit at? Sad. If you think signing a player on a 28 day loan spell whilst he gets fit enough to return to his club is going to pacify the fans.......oh wait a minute, that looks exactly like what's happened?

Really?

People saying he did well aren't saying that means all is well in the Cafc world now.
  • Swisdom said:

I understand he has a clause whereby he must play in every game if fit - which is probably a good thing

Don't like those sort of Clauses in loan deals... Feel they're there to suit the parent club more (i.e. if you want him to get game time then put him in your U21s)

Wonder though which party decides if he's fit enough or not
  • seth plum said:

Many commented that he came on to the pitch and was 'organising' everything. I could have come on, touched the ball twice, and pointed and yelled and I would be a lot cheaper.
    He was generally ignored and bypassed by the other players, who when they could have given him the ball in a bit of space, chose to play it towards another team mate.
    There will be only one reason to play him from my point of view, if we escape relegation. There is another reason to play him from his and Boro's point of view, to get him match fitter in a tough environment...escaping relegation will not matter to them.

As always a ray of sunshine
  • Swisdom said:

seth plum said:

Many commented that he came on to the pitch and was 'organising' everything. I could have come on, touched the ball twice, and pointed and yelled and I would be a lot cheaper.

As always a ray of sunshine
    Thanks for the compliment, isn't it good to be right?
  • he come on and was really talking and screaming at Sarr to step up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

I understand he has a clause whereby he must play in every game if fit - which is probably a good thing

So why was THD brought on before him? It seemed strange at the time, it makes even less sense if this is true because we wouldn't have an attacking option left on the bench.
  • Richard J said:

Swisdom said:

So why was THD brought on before him? It seemed strange at the time, it makes even less sense if this is true because we wouldn't have an attacking option left on the bench.
    Don't try and bring logic into KF thinking!
  • THD may have been able to read the note better as Fraeye does not write in Australian.
  • he come on and was really talking and screaming at Sarr to step up.

Mate, I was screaming at Sarr for the WHOLE 90 minutes to step up.
  • There are some right wanky comments in this thread.

Williams was a very decent Championship player. A centre half, who can also play full back and defensive mid.

He's also an Australian international.

The reason he's with us, is because, just like Vetokele, he "did" his achilles 18 months ago. He hasn't played since.

Boro wanted to loan him out to get him match fit for their run in.

So, if he's fit enough, he's far better than Sarr, who to me is "the new bombscare" and Lennon.

Both may come good in time, but time we do not have.

You could tell within a minute of him coming on, he is an experienced pro and was organising the team straight away. Something we have been desperately missing.

Unfortunately, if he does well Boro may recall him, but that's the position RD has put us in.

Nail.head.on.hit.

• Spot on Covered End
  • Very good player, when fit!
  • Let's look at our CB options:

Sarr, 21, can look good but a total liability without experienced support

Lennon, 20 or younger, can look good but also we would also say could benefit from experienced support or could be ruined

Bauer: 21?; looked very sound initially, could benefit from experienced support but probably out for 6 weeks

Diarra: played for France as a defensive midfielder but has put in a shift as CB, most would agree not his best position and currently injured

Williams: very experienced and quality championship CB, not match fit but can provide experience and leadership.

(Johnson - unconfirmed - experienced and not crocked, borderline good enough but experienced enough to shit a game down if required)

I reckon we are very close to the line in defence here but we may get through without relegation if we add in Williams (ideally for 2 months) and Johnson with our talented but junior talent.

Attacking is another storu
  • Sponsored links:

• (Johnson - unconfirmed - experienced and not crocked, borderline good enough but experienced enough to shit a game down if required)

Well if that's the case then the pooey smell round the east stand is about to get a whole lot worse.

Williams was a very decent Championship player. A centre half, who can also play full back and defensive mid.

The reason he's with us, is because, just like Vetokele, he "did" his achilles 18 months ago. He hasn't played since.

So, if he's fit enough, he's far better than Sarr, who to me is "the new bombscare" and Lennon.

You could tell within a minute of him coming on, he is an experienced pro and was organising the team straight away. Something we have been desperately missing.

Unfortunately, if he does well Boro may recall him, but that's the position RD has put us in.

The key point there is "if he's fit enough" - there must be grave doubts about that given the nature of his injury.

Yet another example of the cheap and easy way out being taken by RD - what makes it even more infuriating is that an even better player was let go for free in the shape of Michael Morrison.
  • If Boro go up I assume he will be surplus and seems just the player we need to organise HL/NS and make us impregnable with Bauer back. Not sure I want a slow RJ as well though.
  • If Boro go up I assume he will be surplus and seems just the player we need to organise HL/NS and make us impregnable with Bauer back. Not sure I want a slow RJ as well though.

True, but like Morro and Johnson, when fit his wage demands will be such we will let him go and promote Thomas/Konsa etc...
  • Let's look at our CB options:

Sarr, 21, can look good but a total liability without experienced support

Lennon, 20 or younger, can look good but also we would also say could benefit from experienced support or could be ruined

Bauer: 21?; looked very sound initially, could benefit from experienced support but probably out for 6 weeks

Diarra: played for France as a defensive midfielder but has put in a shift as CB, most would agree not his best position and currently injured

Williams: very experienced and quality championship CB, not match fit but can provide experience and leadership.

(Johnson - unconfirmed - experienced and not crocked, borderline good enough but experienced enough to shit a game down if required)

I reckon we are very close to the line in defence here but we may get through without relegation if we add in Williams (ideally for 2 months) and Johnson with our talented but junior talent.

Attacking is another storu

Another way of looking at three of those players...

Diarra... World Cup Finalist with France

Williams... Would have gone to the World Cup with Australia twice (and the Asian Cup a few times) had he not been injured

Johnson... Won the League Cup

But will he be interested in playing in Division 1 even if RD was able to remember where his cheque book is?
  • Bauer/Williams is a pretty decent enough centre back partnership when both fit. Johnson is good enough back up. Diarra can play there as well. Sarr is not good enough yet and Lennon should be sent back out on loan.

Graeme Murty back in 2009 was someone similar, an experienced CB recovering from injury who immediately made a difference by being vocal and organising the defence
  • Murty was a RB
  • But the loan is for only 28 days, if he goes back, any unity with him will be destroyed. Just hope he has helped us get some points before he goes