Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

E-mail Campaign to Greenwich MP

edited January 2016 in General Charlton
Matthew Pennycook is the MP for Royal Greenwich. I've seen on his twitter that he's already somewhat aware of what's going on. If enough of us e-mail him, we could petition him to raise the question in Parliament and propose that protections for fans are put in place, using our plight as the prime example. This would certainly keep up the momentum and amp up the pressure on RD and KM.

Football is our national game and part of our deep cultural identity, and there should be protections in place to stop clubs being eroded by foreign ownership who do not engage, and even openly dislike, the fans. Who use the club as moneymakers, strip down their assets and walk away, with absolutely no respect for the game or the culture.

His e-mail: matthew.pennycook.mp@parliament.uk

(edit - everyone can e-mail him, but he can only respond to his constituents. So if you would like a response, you are required to provide your home address, postcode and home telephone number).

Comments

• Options
    Another good idea. Not a resident anymore in the borough but will certainly drop him a line.
  • Options
    Should go straight to the top and do a light projection of "RD OUT" like the below if anyone knows how...

• Options
    Great idea. Will send mine today. Keep the pressure up on all fronts.
  • Options
    How does the investment in the stadium, training facilities and Academy meet the definition of asset stripping?
  • Options

How does the investment in the stadium, training facilities and Academy meet the definition of asset stripping?

I was more thinking of our players but fair comment.
  • Options
    It's a daft argument sorry - he may have brought in mediocre players at inflated prices but they've been paying meaningful transfer fees.

The execution of their model is the issue not the model per se.
  • Options

It's a daft argument sorry - he may have brought in mediocre players at inflated prices but they've been paying meaningful transfer fees.

This thread is about emailing an MP to keep our protest up, you can email him whatever argument you like.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

This thread is about emailing an MP to keep our protest up, you can email him whatever argument you like.
    I think I'd prefer our MPs to focus on rather more pressing local and national issues.
  • Options

Chunes said:

I think I'd prefer our MPs to focus on rather more pressing local and national issues.
    With respect, Clive Efford would thoroughly disagree with you, for reasons I've just outlined. Are you aware of his Football Supporters Bill?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    No surprise that he's a Corbynite
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    The problem is that even if RD paid off all of our debts and gifted the club to the Trust, we'd be insolvent within months and desperate for a new benefactor (who probably wouldn't want the fans having an official seat at the table!).
  • Options

The problem is that even if RD paid off all of our debts and gifted the club to the Trust, we'd be insolvent within months and desperate for a new benefactor (who probably wouldn't want the fans having an official seat at the table!).

That may be true, and there is no problem with you raising such issues, we need to think about them. But you have highlighted the desperate mayhem that pervades English football - and is absent in Germany, where RD is also involved. The only way to introduce German style sanity is via the political process, which is exactly what one of our local MPs is trying to do.

So your argument that we are wasting both our time and his, does not seem to have any merit.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    But you can't point to anything specific that the owners have done wrong apart from poor general execution of a model (which may not be flawed in isolation as Watford suggest).
  • Options
    edited January 2016

But you can't point to anything specific that the owners have done wrong apart from poor general execution of a model (which may not be flawed in isolation as Watford suggest).

I agree 100% with all of your points NYA. The problem is that the execution and PR has been so poor (and naïve) that they have irrevocably lost the fans. There can be no doubt of that now.
    It is very much a case of be careful what we wish for (RD certainly has brought solvency) but one is left with the question, what is a football club and what future does it have if it has disaffected a substantial proportion of its supporters?
  • Options

You must be joking?

There is a list as long as my arm. Many of them are operational, but would have been avoided if there was a strong supporter voice on the Board, exactly as Efford's bill envisages. At the same time that voice might have conveyed some of the financial realities back to the fanbase more effectively, which presumably you would support.

Of course you have a point that we could "force RD out" and then be at the mercy of someone even worse. So we have to address the long term strategic problems in English football governance, as well as the short term executional issues at Charlton. That is the goal of the Supporters Trust movement.

You are aware of the extent and limitations of RD's involvement in Jena (thanks to legally protected German regulation), or should I repeat it here?

• Options

Chunes said:

Fox hunting,for example.
  • Options

You must be joking?

There is a list as long as my arm. Many of them are operational, but would have been avoided if there was a strong supporter voice on the Board, exactly as Efford's bill envisages. At the same time that voice might have conveyed some of the financial realities back to the fanbase more effectively, which presumably you would support.

Of course you have a point that we could "force RD out" and then be at the mercy of someone even worse. So we have to address the long term strategic problems in English football governance, as well as the short term executional issues at Charlton. That is the goal of the Supporters Trust movement.

You are aware of the extent and limitations of RD's involvement in Jena (thanks to legally protected German regulation), or should I repeat it here?

Let me know one specific thing that you think should be of the remotest interest to a member of parliament (unless you want him to ask David Cameron during PMQ to recommend a new manager).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You must be joking?

Let me know one specific thing that you think should be of the remotest interest to a member of parliament (unless you want him to ask David Cameron during PMQ to recommend a new manager).
    I would have thought that Labour in Greenwich would be interested in a campaign about Charlton. They still have members who will remember the Valley Party and how it effected their vote. So for that reason alone I think local MPs would be interested.
    I live in, and vote in, the Greenwich constituency. How the MPs, councillors and future candidates relate to this will have an effect on who I vote for. This will interest them.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

You must be joking?

I think I have already answered that question.

This is Clive Efford's bill.

In what way is our case not relevant to his Bill? I'd suggest he'd be using it as an example for a 3rd reading.

• Options
    Most fans don't want more money spent, they want the club to be run properely. When budgets are tight, this becomes all the more essential.
  • Options

You surprise me NYA. Fair enough with the MP suggestion and I agree with you.

But your general stance on the owners appears to be that they haven't done a lot wrong. I find any cafc fan with that attitude hard to fathom.

• Options
    I don't recall any fans complaining as recently as late August when optimism was buoyant after we continued the good form and flowing football from last season.

So in short my interpretation is that we want to engage an MP to improve our fortunes on the pitch which is mildly bizarre.
  • Options

I don't recall any fans complaining as recently as late August when optimism was buoyant after we continued the good form and flowing football from last season.

So in short my interpretation is that we want to engage an MP to improve our fortunes on the pitch which is mildly bizarre.

That is a deliberately obtuse version of what this thread is about, and certainly would not be what I would write about.

The Trust has been consistently calling for meaningful dialogue this whole year, as a part of a move towards a more permanent supporter voice in the oversight of our Club, and all other clubs. (except the likes of Swansea where it already exists)

Consistently. Regardless of the results on the pitch.

• Options

Are you saying that the regime needs to be given a chance?
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Are you saying that the regime needs to be given a chance?
    If they can learn lessons and accept the need for an experienced manager to mould the mix of youth and undeveloped foreign talent (a model I broadly agree with however cackhanded their execution).
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    iainment said:

I love a conversation about engaging local MPs from Prague and New York. :-)

I'm in the Tory heartland of South West Hertfordshire!