Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

E-mail Campaign to Greenwich MP

Comments

• Options
    I think this is an important part of the 'campaign' .

When I dealt with the local MP's regarding the ACV , as well as ward councillors there was a genuine affection, and recognition of how CAFC has played an important part in the community.
    Even the local MP for Old Bexley ( conservative) wrote a very warm letter of support of how his constituents had informed him the high regard that the club had in Bexley. Efford's office and Raynsford office helped gain support for the campaign, they wrote articles for the trust news, and came to the Valley to celebrate the ACV. Clive came to the opening of the museum, and although a Millwall fan knows the importance of CAFC, its supporters and the part it plays in the community. One ward councillor, even approached the chair of the Labour party to help drive the application through the cabinet because of the then current head of RBG council.

Although I personally have a cautious attitude to politician's from whatever political persuasion, This MP was a former RBG councillor so he will be familiar with CAFC, and it's importance to the community he represents.
  • Options

I don't recall any fans complaining as recently as late August when optimism was buoyant after we continued the good form and flowing football from last season.

Are you saying that the regime needs to be given a chance?
    If they can learn lessons and accept the need for an experienced manager to mould the mix of youth and undeveloped foreign talent (a model I broadly agree with however cackhanded their execution).
    Agreed, and that has been the way I always viewed it ...until the web summit video and the PV emails ...surely you can no longer believe that they now have the willingness to make the required change?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    The All Parliament Football Supporters Group was begun in November, chaired by Ian Mearns MP - a season ticket holder at St James Park - with the aim of providing football fans a bigger voice in Parliament.

NYA, fair enough you're pro regime (well not really fair enough, like someone else said, pretty unfathomable) but to say MPs wouldn't be interested in our game is untrue. Especially a local MP. How much does a thriving football club with a happy support base bring to a local economy?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I agree it's odd that she or another senior member of the club couldn't at least hear PV out over coffee, but if they have no interest in selling the club then it's not entirely surprising.

Her comments at the web summit were clearly naive and she doesn't strike me as particularly bright more generally, but I broadly welcome their investment in the matchday experience (new seats; better pitch; automatic turnstiles; better ticketing system; new screen etc.) regardless of whether she views us as customers or fans.
  • Options

I agree it's odd that she or another senior member of the club couldn't at least hear PV out over coffee, but if they have no interest in selling the club then it's not entirely surprising.

Her comments at the web summit were clearly naive and she doesn't strike me as particularly bright more generally, but I broadly welcome their investment in the matchday experience (new seats; better pitch; automatic turnstiles; better ticketing system; new screen etc.) regardless of whether she views us as customers or fans.

The problem is that none of that investment keeps us in this division.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

The biggest investment was probably the pitch which was an embarrassment and not conducive to any type of tactical gameplan.

Any investment of this type is ultimately good for the club longer term* and we can't judge every financial decision based upon the immediate impact on the first team.

*excludes sofa
  • Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    Chunes said:

The All Parliament Football Supporters Group was begun in November, chaired by Ian Mearns MP - a season ticket holder at St James Park - with the aim of providing football fans a bigger voice in Parliament.

NYA, fair enough you're pro regime (well not really fair enough, like someone else said, pretty unfathomable) but to say MPs wouldn't be interested in our game is untrue. Especially a local MP. How much does a thriving football club with a happy support base bring to a local economy?

I'm pro aspects of the regime, but find their implicit view that the quality and experience of the head coach/manager is virtually irrelevant to the project to be unfathomable to use your term.
  • Options
    I am fairly corbynista on this one, I think all football clubs should have 51% of the votes transferred to supporter trusts and supporters. Probably in such a way as that the primary shareholder would need to be faced by near united opposition in order for it to affect their running of the club or their investment. The economics go to the investor shares but the votes are shared around.
  • Options
    There should be a meeting arranged with the MP to put the issues to him in person. I'd then ask him to raise the matter in the House of Commons. The campaign has got momentum now so it's important to broaden it out as far as possible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There should be a meeting arranged with the MP to put the issues to him in person. I'd then ask him to raise the matter in the House of Commons. The campaign has got momentum now so it's important to broaden it out as far as possible.

Hopefully the House can squeeze it in between debates on the military action in Syria and the ongoing flooding crisis.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    The campaign's certainly on Matt Pennycook's radar - he tweeted about the protests yesterday and retweeted my piece about the situation on New Year's Eve.

Point of order - he's MP for Greenwich and Woolwich, not "Royal Greenwich", which is the borough. (Obviously having the shadow sports minister in the neighbouring constituency and the one that covers Sparrows Lane helps.)

Do we have enough people who live in G&W who would be happy to form
    a delegation to meet him? I'd be happy to go along if that helped.

(edit: well, it'd be good if at least a couple are from G&W because he can say he's acting on the wishes of his constituents)
  • Options

stonemuse said:

The biggest investment was probably the pitch which was an embarrassment and not conducive to any type of tactical gameplan.

Any investment of this type is ultimately good for the club longer term* and we can't judge every financial decision based upon the immediate impact on the first team.

*excludes sofa
    Absolutely, but ultimately we need player investment if all the (welcomed) background infrastructure is to be of benefit.
  • Options

I don't recall any fans complaining as recently as late August when optimism was buoyant after we continued the good form and flowing football from last season.

If they can learn lessons and accept the need for an experienced manager to mould the mix of youth and undeveloped foreign talent (a model I broadly agree with however cackhanded their execution).
    What about an experienced CEO? Media handler? Cheif scout? Manager?........
  • Options

Yes all of the above - this is the aspect of their modus operandi which is hard to understand.

It's clear they do not trust anyone with responsibility who isn't part of their clique.

However I'd argue that it has only been the past 3-4 months where it's had any significant negative impact on the team - as noted on another thread, 92 points from 66 games from Riga's appointment to the Hull home game under Luzon.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Yes all of the above - this is the aspect of their modus operandi which is hard to understand.

It's clear they do not trust anyone with responsibility who isn't part of their clique.

However I'd argue that it has only been the past 3-4 months where it's had any significant negative impact on the team - as noted on another thread, 92 points from 66 games from Riga's appointment to the Hull home game under Luzon.
    Was that the Riga team largely constructed by Powell? And before our Belgian friends had even heard the words 'Charlton Athletic'?
  • Options

Hopefully the House can squeeze it in between debates on the military action in Syria and the ongoing flooding crisis.
    It's the job of MPs to raise constituency matters and there's hardly a bigger issue in Greenwich and Woolwich at the moment, certainly not one that's attracting the attention of national media.

• Options
    edited January 2016

Was that the Riga team largely constructed by Powell? And before our Belgian friends had even heard the words 'Charlton Athletic'?
    That's a bit of a stretch but Riga got near play off form out of them from a hopeless situation.
  • Options

It's the job of MPs to raise constituency matters and there's hardly a bigger issue in Greenwich and Woolwich at the moment, certainly not one that's attracting the attention of national media.

After housing, healthcare, welfare, crime prevention, schools, jobs and transport you may well have a point.
  • Options

That's a bit of a stretch but Riga got near play off form out if them from a hopeless situation.
    If you think that, then you've got another stick to hit the regime with. Not retaining a manager of that quality is madness.
    (I don't personally see the furore over Riga BTW.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That's a bit of a stretch but Riga got near play off form out if them from a hopeless situation.
    If you think that, then you've got another stick to hit the regime with. Not retaining a manager of that quality is madness.
    Yes agree.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

After housing, healthcare, welfare, crime prevention, schools, jobs and transport you may well have a point.
    There's any number of debates about any number of things in a day at Parliament, it's not all Prime MInister's Questions. You've already been told there's a Parliamentary group been set up to represent football fans. There's a Minister for Sport. I've always respected you as a poster and blogger, but you are frankly being a bit pathetic. Having a bad day?

Chunes said:

There's any number of debates about any number of things in a day at Parliament, it's not all Prime MInister's Questions. You've already been told there's a Parliamentary group been set up to represent football fans. I've always respected you as a poster and blogger, but you are frankly being a bit pathetic.
  • Options

I want to see the campaign succeed. Clearly you don't. End of discussion from my side.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

There's any number of debates about any number of things in a day at Parliament, it's not all Prime MInister's Questions. You've already been told there's a Parliamentary group been set up to represent football fans. I've always respected you as a poster and blogger, but you are frankly being a bit pathetic.
    I was addressing his point about there being no bigger issue in the constituency.
  • Options

Should go straight to the top and do a light projection of "RD OUT" like the below if anyone knows how...

I will try and source something powerful enough to achieve that look, I posted on another thread I am working with a Company that have the capabilities to project that scale of image, I will try and see of I can get use of their equipment or understand more of where it can be sourced and how Easy it is use
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Chunes said:

I was addressing his point about there being no bigger issue in the constituency.
    At numberous points in this thread, including the post before that one, you've insinuated that this would never be discussed in Parliament. Like I said, being a bit pathetic.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Yes agree.
    But that's my point NYA.

Anyone could see that we needed a new pitch. It was blatently staring us in the face each week. You could say the same about the seats and the ticketing arrangements. Although they require financial investment they don't require much brain power to put right and I would have expected any new owner with any level of wealth to have put that right.

When you look at the playing side of things though you really do need excellent thought and vision. You need to be brave enough to put your trust in people with past experience and not try to reshape the wheel with a two Bob initiation plan. And that in part is the crux.

The pitch took very little thought - supporters happy.
    Shiny new seats, easy to do- supporters happy
    Ticket system.its not rocket science- supporters happy.

They then used the same remit for the playing side of things and it has had the complete opposite effect. Are they willing to rethink? Do the have the intelligence or willingnes to do so?
    It looks very doubtful.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    There are plenty of big issues in Greenwich & Woolwich, but MPs can do a lot without starting a debate or bawling out the PM about it, and some of it without huge deal of effort - even just the smallest thing, writing a letter on parliamentary notepaper outlining fans' concerns, could have an effect (and may bring RD out of his shell). I wonder if RD would dare snub an invite to a meeting with a British member of parliament?

There have been debates on football governance in the past (here and here, and an inquiry a few years back), and I'm not quite sure what they achieve, but it at least means that concerns about Charlton (and Leeds, Blackpool, etc) are noted in Hansard, which isn't what KM would want on her CV, and RD would want as a legacy.

I believe Roger Godsiff, the Labour MP for Birmingham Hall Green (and a former Lewisham councillor), is a Charlton fan.

Do we have anyone who lives in Folkestone? The Tory MP there, Damian Collins, has been big on FIFA reform and might be interested in an issue closer to home.
  • Options

Yes agree.
    But that's my point NYA.

Anyone could see that we needed a new pitch. It was blatently staring us in the face each week. You could say the same about the seats and the ticketing arrangements. Although they require financial investment they don't require much brain power to put right and I would have expected any new owner with any level of wealth to have put that right.

When you look at the playing side of things though you really do need excellent thought and vision. You need to be brave enough to put your trust in people with past experience and not try to reshape the wheel with a two Bob initiation plan. And that in part is the crux.

The pitch took very little thought - supporters happy.
    Shiny new seats, easy to do- supporters happy
    Ticket system.its not rocket science- supporters happy.

They then used the same remit for the playing side of things and it has had the complete opposite effect. Are they willing to rethink? Do the have the intelligence or willingnes to do so?
    It looks very doubtful.
    We'll find out I guess but it's only gone pear shaped recently regardless of how dysfunctional it may have appeared from the outside.

Either way back to ths topic of the thread I simply don't understand why it would be of any concern to the local MP.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Either way back to ths topic of the thread I simply don't understand why it would be of any concern to the local MP.

MPs get involved in all kinds of things. At the end of 2014 I started an online petition to help save a brilliant music venue in north London, the Buffalo Bar. Within a week, a group of us were meeting the local MP, Emily Thornberry, about what she could do to help. We didn't succeed, but she and her team were great to deal with, and she agreed with our arguments that the club was a lynchpin of the local economy and losing it would cause harm. Many of the same arguments apply to the running-down of CAFC by RD and KM.