Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

E-mail Campaign to Greenwich MP

13»

Comments

• Options

Either way back to ths topic of the thread I simply don't understand why it would be of any concern to the local MP.

MPs get involved in all kinds of things. At the end of 2014 I started an online petition to help save a brilliant music venue in north London, the Buffalo Bar. Within a week, a group of us were meeting the local MP, Emily Thornberry, about what she could do to help. We didn't succeed, but she and her team were great to deal with, and she agreed with our arguments that the club was a lynchpin of the local economy and losing it would suffer. Many of the same arguments apply to the running-down of CAFC by RD and KM.
    But what specific issues would you complain about? You can't seriously sit in front of an MP and demand the club appoint a new manager and invest in the team (especially when they're already financing a £5-10m pa deficit).
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I don't recall any fans complaining as recently as late August when optimism was buoyant after we continued the good form and flowing football from last season.

Are you saying that the regime needs to be given a chance?
    If they can learn lessons and accept the need for an experienced manager to mould the mix of youth and undeveloped foreign talent (a model I broadly agree with however cackhanded their execution).
    What about an experienced CEO? Media handler? Cheif scout? Manager?........
    Yes all of the above - this is the aspect of their modus operandi which is hard to understand.

It's clear they do not trust anyone with responsibility who isn't part of their clique.

However I'd argue that it has only been the past 3-4 months where it's had any significant negative impact on the team - as noted on another thread, 92 points from 66 games from Riga's appointment to the Hull home game under Luzon.
    Was that the Riga team largely constructed by Powell? And before our Belgian friends had even heard the words 'Charlton Athletic'?
    That's a bit of a stretch but Riga got near play off form out if them from a hopeless situation.
    If you think that, then you've got another stick to hit the regime with. Not retaining a manager of that quality is madness.
    (I don't personally see the furore over Riga BTW.)
    Yes agree.
    But that's my point NYA.

Anyone could see that we needed a new pitch. It was blatently staring us in the face each week. You could say the same about the seats and the ticketing arrangements. Although they require financial investment they don't require much brain power to put right and I would have expected any new owner with any level of wealth to have put that right.

When you look at the playing side of things though you really do need excellent thought and vision. You need to be brave enough to put your trust in people with past experience and not try to reshape the wheel with a two Bob initiation plan. And that in part is the crux.

The pitch took very little thought - supporters happy.
    Shiny new seats, easy to do- supporters happy
    Ticket system.its not rocket science- supporters happy.

They then used the same remit for the playing side of things and it has had the complete opposite effect. Are they willing to rethink? Do the have the intelligence or willingnes to do so?
    It looks very doubtful.
    We'll find out I guess but it's only gone pear shaped recently regardless of how dysfunctional it may have appeared from the outside.

Either way back to ths topic of the thread I simply don't understand why it would be of any concern to the local MP.
    NYA, there are numerous examples already, not that I haven't said that before.

In November 2014 there were debates in both houses about fans' roles in club management.

In September there was a debate on the future of non-league football.

Believe it or not, someone once suggested that the house come to state that Arsenal are the best team in the world.

The MP for Ayrshire once questioned Mike Ashley's fitness to run Newcastle in Parliament.

There's a Minister for Sport. There's a committee for football fans representation.

I could go on if you like.

Football is an important part of our economy and national culture. Walk out to any set of public pitches on a cold Sunday morning to see that. Walk into any pub on a Saturday.

The idea you can't fathom why anyone would care about us fans makes me ask you this:

Are you Katrien Meire?
  • Options

MPs get involved in all kinds of things. At the end of 2014 I started an online petition to help save a brilliant music venue in north London, the Buffalo Bar. Within a week, a group of us were meeting the local MP, Emily Thornberry, about what she could do to help. We didn't succeed, but she and her team were great to deal with, and she agreed with our arguments that the club was a lynchpin of the local economy and losing it would suffer. Many of the same arguments apply to the running-down of CAFC by RD and KM.
    But what specific issues would you complain about? You can't seriously sit in front of an MP and demand the club appoint a new manager and invest in the team (especially when they're already financing a £5-10m pa deficit).
    No, but you can argue the club is being mismanaged in a broader sense, and that RD and KM have a duty to address fans' concerns rather than hiding in Belgium or insulting fans at tech summits.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

I agree it's odd that she or another senior member of the club couldn't at least hear PV out over coffee, but if they have no interest in selling the club then it's not entirely surprising.

Her comments at the web summit were clearly naive and she doesn't strike me as particularly bright more generally, but I broadly welcome their investment in the matchday experience (new seats; better pitch; automatic turnstiles; better ticketing system; new screen etc.) regardless of whether she views us as customers or fans.

The problem is that none of that investment keeps us in this division.
    The biggest investment was probably the pitch which was an embarrassment and not conducive to any type of tactical gameplan.

Any investment of this type is ultimately good for the club longer term* and we can't judge every financial decision based upon the immediate impact on the first team.

*excludes sofa
    Absolutely, but ultimately we need player investment if all the (welcomed) background infrastructure is to be of benefit.
    At the time of the pitch "investment", we were led to believe that the undersoil heating was necessary for when we made it to the Prem., (haha) and we found out later that it was funded by the sale of Kermogant. First of all the pitch had become almost unplayable, so as others have mentioned, it was likely part of the negotiation of RD's purchase of the club, either way no investment cost to RD. It seems lately, that if RD's valuation of the club is 50 million, that he's investing nothing at all in infrastructure, instead adding everything spent as debt that the club now owes him personally. Where could this end if he really doesn't want to sell? It would seem that making his ownership of the club as unpleasant as possible is our only option if we want a new owner.
  • Options

No, but you can argue the club is being mismanaged in a broader sense, and that RD and KM have a duty to address fans' concerns rather than hiding in Belgium or insulting fans at tech summits.
    You may not agree with their model and argue the execution thereof has been misguided, but terms like 'running down' the club aren't helpful considering the investment in infrastructure and the largest transfer budget since Pardew was pissing cash up the wall for Varney and Mcleod.

As I've stated several times it's their weird attutude to managers that troubles me the most and threatens the entire raison d'etre of their approach.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I don't recall any fans complaining as recently as late August when optimism was buoyant after we continued the good form and flowing football from last season.

Are you saying that the regime needs to be given a chance?
    If they can learn lessons and accept the need for an experienced manager to mould the mix of youth and undeveloped foreign talent (a model I broadly agree with however cackhanded their execution).
    What about an experienced CEO? Media handler? Cheif scout? Manager?........
    Yes all of the above - this is the aspect of their modus operandi which is hard to understand.

It's clear they do not trust anyone with responsibility who isn't part of their clique.

However I'd argue that it has only been the past 3-4 months where it's had any significant negative impact on the team - as noted on another thread, 92 points from 66 games from Riga's appointment to the Hull home game under Luzon.
    Was that the Riga team largely constructed by Powell? And before our Belgian friends had even heard the words 'Charlton Athletic'?
    That's a bit of a stretch but Riga got near play off form out if them from a hopeless situation.
    If you think that, then you've got another stick to hit the regime with. Not retaining a manager of that quality is madness.
    (I don't personally see the furore over Riga BTW.)
    Yes agree.
    But that's my point NYA.

Anyone could see that we needed a new pitch. It was blatently staring us in the face each week. You could say the same about the seats and the ticketing arrangements. Although they require financial investment they don't require much brain power to put right and I would have expected any new owner with any level of wealth to have put that right.

When you look at the playing side of things though you really do need excellent thought and vision. You need to be brave enough to put your trust in people with past experience and not try to reshape the wheel with a two Bob initiation plan. And that in part is the crux.

The pitch took very little thought - supporters happy.
    Shiny new seats, easy to do- supporters happy
    Ticket system.its not rocket science- supporters happy.

They then used the same remit for the playing side of things and it has had the complete opposite effect. Are they willing to rethink? Do the have the intelligence or willingnes to do so?
    It looks very doubtful.
    We'll find out I guess but it's only gone pear shaped recently regardless of how dysfunctional it may have appeared from the outside.

NYA, there are numerous examples already, not that I haven't said that before.

In November 2014 there were debates in both houses about fans' roles in club management.

In September there was a debate on the future of non-league football.

Believe it or not, someone once suggested that the house come to state that Arsenal are the best team in the world.

The MP for Ayrshire once questioned Mike Ashley's fitness to run Newcastle in Parliament.

There's a Minister for Sport. There's a committee for football fans representation.

I could go on if you like.

Football is an important part of our economy and national culture. Walk out to any set of public pitches on a cold Sunday morning to see that. Walk into any pub on a Saturday.

The idea you can't fathom why anyone would care about us fans makes me ask you this:

Are you Katrien Meire?
    No I'm a lot older and wiser than she is :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2016

You may not agree with their model and argue the execution thereof has been misguided, but terms like 'running down' the club aren't helpful considering the investment in infrastructure and the largest transfer budget since Pardew was pissing cash up the wall for Varney and Mcleod.

As I've stated several times it's their weird attutude to managers that troubles me the most and threatens the entire raison d'etre of their approach.
    But in all kinds of issues, from closing the ticket office to the issue of playing staff, there's every indication the club is being run down - namely from one that had ambitions to play in the top flight to one that solely sells players to the top flight and has given up on any plan to be in that top flight. (Whether or not we've got a bountiful transfer budget, the lack of transparency in who is making the decisions about that is being spent is an issue, even if one only for fans.)

Granted, you wouldn't expect an MP to pile in with a list of potential transfer targets, but there is a general air of mismanagement on and off the field and fans are concerned. If an MP can amplify those concerns, so much the better.
  • Options

Do we know what they received in from player transfers? They seem happy to say they've spent £9 million on fees but not sure I've seen what they've received from sales.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

largest transfer budget since Pardew was pissing cash up the wall for Varney and Mcleod.
    If that's true, which I seriously doubt, they've managed to make more of a pigs ear of it than Big nose.

• Options
    Nug said:

Do we know what they received in from player transfers? They seem happy to say they've spent £9 million on fees but not sure I've seen what they've received from sales.
    We'll have to wait for the accounts due in the next few months.

Admittedly my studies of the accounts are rather geeky, but I urge every fan to read them to understand just how inherently awful the day-to-day finances of the club are.

It might make them more sympathetic to a new approach, albeit one not without its many flaws.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016

How's that big transfer budget working out for us?
  • Options
    Suppose a tour operator sells ten thousand holidays and spends the money on cabin fit outs, video screens and entertainment systems but doesn't provide qualified crew to fly the planes. So the customers sit watching a film instead of going on holiday.

Or a school spends a fortune on playing fields but doesn't employ a headmaster. So none of the teachers or pupils know what class to attend.

Of course local MPs would get to hear about this level of absurd incompetence.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

It's irrelevant to the point I was making which was to emphasise the absurdity of phrases like 'asset stripping' and 'running down the club'.

No club has a perfect record on transfers and ours is clearly mixed**, but at least we have a budget which wasn't true under the spivs nor the tail end of the Murray regime.

(**until they put a proper recognised manager/coach in charge we'll never know if there might be a decent player lurking inside Ba, Bergdich, Sarr etc.)
  • Options

I've had a look at the accounts, and they're grim. And English football's finances outside the PL are screwed. But RD is using this club as an experiment, without even having the courtesy or honesty to even show up or explain what he's doing, and with a chief exec who insults fans.

We may not be 100% correct. RD and KM may not be 100% wrong. But an approach from an MP might force them to the table to at least talk.

Hi Inspector,
    Can you email me in regard to this particular part of the campaign
    Interested in discussing this, I was on the trust board till last AGM, and design the trust news, we have also worked for the same media organisation.
    email: ken.sinyard@btinternet.com
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Chunes said:

It's irrelevant to the point I was making which was to emphasise the absurdity of phrases like 'asset stripping' and 'running down the club'.

No club has a perfect record on transfers and ours is clearly mixed**, but at least we have a budget which wasn't true under the spivs nor the tail end of the Murray regime.

(**until they put a proper recognised manager/coach in charge we'll never know if there might be a decent player lurking inside Ba, Bergdich, Sarr etc.)
    I believe our budget is the third lowest in the league?

You are comparing it to budgets before the new money and when we had all of our financial backing pulled, neither of which are accurate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying we should support them based on the fact they've put some money into the club, and you have no problems with their business model of player farming with no ambition other than financial.
  • Options
    So an update on this, specifically re Clive Efford.

There is a feeling among some other Trust board members who are closer to home, that Clive Efford initially had a positive impression of this regime (and he has certainly had contact with them during 2014). We are not sure if he has had any contact more recently, so he may be a bit out of date. He's not going to have followed every step of what's been going on, especially as he's a Spanner.So it would actually help us, if an advance guard of individual fans in his constituency could write to Clive and (politely) start to put him right. Maybe a lot of you might feel able to agree that you too had a positive impression at first, but this has all fallen apart in the last months because, because, because. Previous recommendation to refer to his Bill stands, you could point out how this lot are apparently showing why it is necessary.

If he gets a few letters before the Trust approaches him, it means we don't have to cover too much the detail of their misdemeanours. If Matthew Pennycock gets similar mail that would be good because they will probably compare notes.
  • Options
    oh and BTW Kevin Rye, who has read this thread, tells me that Efford actually voted for Andy Burnham (another good football man)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So an update on this, specifically re Clive Efford.

There is a feeling among some other Trust board members who are closer to home, that Clive Efford initially had a positive impression of this regime (and he has certainly had contact with them during 2014). We are not sure if he has had any contact more recently, so he may be a bit out of date. He's not going to have followed every step of what's been going on, especially as he's a Spanner.So it would actually help us, if an advance guard of individual fans in his constituency could write to Clive and (politely) start to put him right. Maybe a lot of you might feel able to agree that you too had a positive impression at first, but this has all fallen apart in the last months because, because, because. Previous recommendation to refer to his Bill stands, you could point out how this lot are apparently showing why it is necessary.

If he gets a few letters before the Trust approaches him, it means we don't have to cover too much the detail of their misdemeanours. If Matthew Pennycock gets similar mail that would be good because they will probably compare notes.

You could also 'tweet' him or send him a message on his website........
    http://www.cliveefford.org.uk/
    Twitter @CliveEfford

He has a 'campaign' page on the website