Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What will Peter Varney be thinking now.....?

13»

Comments

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

cafc999 said:

For a takeover to happen then due diligence would have to take place. As we all know this is not a five minute exercise. Add this to rumours of suspect dealings by RD (The Tony Watt transfer) and I suggest it might take even longer.

You could also throw into the mix that the 'Group / Person' being introduced by PV might just wait and see if we get relegated and try and buy us at a knock down price.

All of this also depends on RD wanting to sell, and of course RM not getting in the way (Allegedly)

I am not in the know for the record

Agree on all accounts, but especially about relegation. I was thinking this earlier actually, what would I do if I wanted to buy a football club?

If you're going to buy a club then you're going to do your research, and there is an interview with Katrien where she says L1 is essentially unsustainable for Charlton. She's Roland's mouthpiece, so this must reflect Roland's view.

Why didn't Roland do this himself back in 2014? Most likely because he understood, like above, the financial repurcussions of relegation - and as we know, he see's that as unsustainable. It wasn't in his interests to buy a L1 club.

Not to mention the sounds coming out of CAFC in late 2013/early 2014 suggested we would go under were a buyer not found quickly. This meant the club was being aggressively mentioned with regards to being up for sale, hence the different potential buyers we kept hearing about.

Roland is quite capable of continuing to finance us until relegation - in which case there's no point buying the club now. Hope that Fraeye and Meire continue on this path, wait until relegation in June and make another approach - knock a couple of million off of your original offer. Sell the players who wont want to play in League One - coincidentally the more valuable players - (JBG, Bauer, Reza? etc) and your left with the money from sales + the couple of million saved on the initial purchase to fund a promotion pushing team - most likely with some change leftover..

The only drawback to that plan is that you then have to re-invest in Championship players a year later if you do succeed with the promotion push. It's certainly a gamble in case we miraculously stay in the Championship, and it's a gamble in case Roland has a fire sale; but you're investing in a football club - you clearly enjoy gambling.
    Wasn't PV's reasoning behind all this that he wanted us to succeed in the championship? Therefore I'm not sure he'd want to wait to see if we get relegated? He'd want us under better control asap so we don't have to do the promotion push again?
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

cafc999 said:

For a takeover to happen then due diligence would have to take place. As we all know this is not a five minute exercise. Add this to rumours of suspect dealings by RD (The Tony Watt transfer) and I suggest it might take even longer.

You could also throw into the mix that the 'Group / Person' being introduced by PV might just wait and see if we get relegated and try and buy us at a knock down price.

All of this also depends on RD wanting to sell, and of course RM not getting in the way (Allegedly)

Agree on all accounts, but especially about relegation. I was thinking this earlier actually, what would I do if I wanted to buy a football club?

If you're going to buy a club then you're going to do your research, and there is an interview with Katrien where she says L1 is essentially unsustainable for Charlton. She's Roland's mouthpiece, so this must reflect Roland's view.

Why didn't Roland do this himself back in 2014? Most likely because he understood, like above, the financial repurcussions of relegation - and as we know, he see's that as unsustainable. It wasn't in his interests to buy a L1 club.

Not to mention the sounds coming out of CAFC in late 2013/early 2014 suggested we would go under were a buyer not found quickly. This meant the club was being aggressively mentioned with regards to being up for sale, hence the different potential buyers we kept hearing about.

Roland is quite capable of continuing to finance us until relegation - in which case there's no point buying the club now. Hope that Fraeye and Meire continue on this path, wait until relegation in June and make another approach - knock a couple of million off of your original offer. Sell the players who wont want to play in League One - coincidentally the more valuable players - (JBG, Bauer, Reza? etc) and your left with the money from sales + the couple of million saved on the initial purchase to fund a promotion pushing team - most likely with some change leftover..

The only drawback to that plan is that you then have to re-invest in Championship players a year later if you do succeed with the promotion push. It's certainly a gamble in case we miraculously stay in the Championship, and it's a gamble in case Roland has a fire sale; but you're investing in a football club - you clearly enjoy gambling.
    Wasn't PV's reasoning behind all this that he wanted us to succeed in the championship? Therefore I'm not sure he'd want to wait to see if we get relegated? He'd want us under better control asap so we don't have to do the promotion push again?
    But due diligence isn't a five minute task
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

LuckyReds said:

cafc999 said:

It was pretty much so when RD rushed in and bought CAFC, doing his own DD. A matter of days or a week or 2, at most.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

LuckyReds said:

cafc999 said:

It was pretty much so when RD rushed in and bought CAFC, doing his own DD. A matter of days or a week or 2, at most.
    The difference was that the spivs were just wanting out.

RD then found out about the pitch and other financial liabilities.

Even if PV could get his due diligence done in two weeks, the sale would have to be agreed first and that depends on RD
  • Options

I popped into the cafe next to Stonebridge road this morning (used to be the Plough pub). Varney was chatting to some nerdy looking yank called Bill. I overheard him saying to "get the deal done at all costs in the next week" as he needs the transfer window and he loves windows.

No idea who it was though...........

@tangoflash at the prospect of being 'whoosed' is this fact or fiction?
    Red, for one I doubt whether Varney would be holding his meetings in a cafe in Stonebridge and secondly, he is talking about a very rich American called 'Bill' who likes 'Windows'.

Does that ring any bells?

If not I think you can take it from me that it's a tune up. ;-)
    I don't care if Bill Gates wants to buy us, and spend £100m on new players, I'm still not upgrading to Windows 10
    That would be a hard call ?

Bill Gates or Varney Gate.
  • Options

I popped into the cafe next to Stonebridge road this morning (used to be the Plough pub). Varney was chatting to some nerdy looking yank called Bill. I overheard him saying to "get the deal done at all costs in the next week" as he needs the transfer window and he loves windows.

No idea who it was though...........

@tangoflash at the prospect of being 'whoosed' is this fact or fiction?
    Red, for one I doubt whether Varney would be holding his meetings in a cafe in Stonebridge and secondly, he is talking about a very rich American called 'Bill' who likes 'Windows'.

Does that ring any bells?

If not I think you can take it from me that it's a tune up. ;-)
    I don't care if Bill Gates wants to buy us, and spend £100m on new players, I'm still not upgrading to Windows 10
    That would be a hard call ?

Bill Gates or Varney Gate.
    Or pearly gates, let us hope something positive happens before I see them
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

LuckyReds said:

cafc999 said:

Sorry yeah I know. I was just saying that it would be in PV's interest to get it done ASAP and not wait to see if he can get us cheaper in L1.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

LuckyReds said:

cafc999 said:

Sorry yeah I know. I was just saying that it would be in PV's interest to get it done ASAP and not wait to see if he can get us cheaper in L1.
    And surely PV's existing knowledge of the club makes the DD process far easier and quicker than usual?
  • Options
    Roland (does anyone else think of Grange Hill when they say that name?) bought a club that had just finished 9th in the championship, is that about right? Don't think he planned to hang around the relegation areas but then, if you have no clue what you are doing, what can you expect?
  • Options
    Roland, I want to help you, Roland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is that the scene in the toilet cubicles?
  • Options
    God knows, All I remember was the black girl (can't remember her name) used to say that to him, I thought, on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Must be on YouTube!
  • Options
    Think her name was Janet
  • Options
    Definitely Janet yes. Can't remember it being all the time but I do remember the intonation of sort of Rooowlaaaand
  • Options
    I think that was generally the way she pronounced his name. I remember hearing it a lot, though it was a few decades ago and the fog is growing around those years.
  • Options
    So if this transfer Window passes and no takeover happens we can only hope the interested potential new owners wait until the summer. I know one thing,they would be greeted like gods!
  • Options
    edited January 2016

So if this transfer Window passes and no takeover happens we can only hope the interested potential new owners wait until the summer. I know one thing,they would be greeted like gods!

Even if it's the return of El Del Boy and Rodney? Stranger things have happened.

(I think a certain someone would go straight back into rabble rousing mode, in that event.)
  • Options
    Airman? A statement/interview of intent that I'm sure Varney and his backers were expecting? There's no quick resolution to this IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sammy391 said:

Filmed a video for CARD today , picture looks as if it could be as sparrows lane too?
    https://m.facebook.com/coulterjervismedia/photos/a.327736267382346.1073741829.296568670499106/594130530742917/?type=3

What's Ben Tegg doing these days ?
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Filmed a video for CARD today , picture looks as if it could be as sparrows lane too?
    https://m.facebook.com/coulterjervismedia/photos/a.327736267382346.1073741829.296568670499106/594130530742917/?type=3

Hmmm. Curiouser & curiouser !

• Options
    Looks like Ebbsfleet's training ground at Kings Hill
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Looks like Ebbsfleet's training ground at Kings Hill

Wasn't there a rumour that Kings Hill going to be the new Charlton training ground many moons ago?