Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Airman Brown's Evening Standard Interview Today

123457»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 27
    DOUCHER said:
    i think the appointment of the next manager is critical - he needs to be good and he needs to be given the power to choose his own players and play the formation he wants - this 'director of football' model also came about at the time curbs left - bowyer and powell were given the full reigns but how many others have had players pushed on to them and styles of play imposed - give warnock a year with total control and he'll have put together a team that will go straight up and we will be back where we belong and where most of us will be happy with 
    If you have the right manager this is the way. If you take football out of it, I have seen it in my working life where some people can almost instinctively get to the heart of a problem, see what needs to be done and then take people with them. It looks so simple but so many can't do it. You might have an events manager say who instictively can see what needs to be done, the important milestones and the risks and it looks like it is an easy job they are doing. Then you have one that doesn't and chaos and problems arise from all sides and they bat it off and it looks like they are doing a difficult job. They might even be more appreciated. There are multiple examples and I think they relate to football too. It is a reason, when I read Garner saying he thought there was only way of playing football, I groaned. You play the way you need to play with what you have or can get to win FFS!

I think a good manager has to understand every problem which is affecting the performance of the team. Then he needs to identify solutions. He can't do the second bit without the first bit. These may not always be easy as the problems may involve the personnel you have. Some you can improve others are just not right. It may not be individuals but attributes that need changing overall, being harder, dirtier, have more goals, more quality.... I could go on but the manager decides what he needs within what he can achieve and sets about doing it. Powell saw it was most of the personnel that needed changing. Others may change tactics or bring in one or two of a certain type. For others it may be an evolution. But this is what needs to happen and quickly. Maybe people closer to the players will let them have more say in what they think might be wrong. Maybe being closer to the players they already have an idea. That is often a good way to get to the truth of it.
  • Options
    Good piece.
    I often wonder if you could pick one single point in history where you could pinpoint 'where did it all go wrong?' what would it be
    I keep coming back to the very second Alan Curbishley walked out of the door.
    Selling Parker.
  • Options
    Turn around is not easy. All parts of the organisation have to be aligned. The vision/ ambition needs to be clarified and from the ground up. Each employee needs to be certain of their role in achieving the ambition. The Manager/ Head coach need to be supported in terms of their development on the grass and off it.(Bower had big potential but big flaws). Each employee has to “ win their individual battles” when the going gets tough. It can be done, with inspired leadership. Do we have it?
  • Options
    vff said:
    mendonca said:
    Tears:

Twenty years ago this week, Charlton were fourth in the Premier League, well clear of Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester City.
    Should have pushed on

Being happy with 4th lacks ambition.

It was Scott Parker going mid season that stuffed things up. Chelsea didn't need him and bought him to mess up a competitor's team. Never forgive them for that.
    That + cocking up Curbs’ successor but we’ve gone this a million times. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good piece.
    I often wonder if you could pick one single point in history where you could pinpoint 'where did it all go wrong?' what would it be
    Not selling to AEG before that. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Can you expand a bit on the AEG thing? When was it and why didn’t it happen?  Was it a credible prospect? 

It’s the one takeover or failed acquisition over the last 20 years I don’t really know anything about, other than being vaguely aware!  Is that where the move to the Peninsula rumours originate from? 
  • Options
    Good management in its widest sense is vital. The most important ingredient is money.
    Thomas did not have enough at £100M. A club will not survive and develop on the revenue it raises, lottery tickets etc are “ pocket money”.
    Clubs cost so much to run that an owner needs to input their own money, how many can do that? Cutting costs only achieves so much and clubs like ours probably have little left to cut. Not owning the assets does not help.
    i have stood on the terraces admired Stuart Leary, wanted to be Len Glover, been in the school team trying to head a ball like Matt Tees. Further hero’s like Killer Hales. Had my piece of grass from the Valley in the garden after leaving for Palarse. Even off to Selhurst for Division One days. 
    Was now in a season ticket seat for the Back to the Valley, loved Premier League days. We had a number of average players that became great eg John Robinson, Brownie, Jon Fortune, Kishi plus some real class players.
    I am not happy to say I see no future good prospects for the club.

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Good piece.
    when we sold parker (i know we didn't want to) was the moment the trajectory changed - at that point we had raised our heads above the parapet and got picked off and if there was a time to bring in new investment so we could give AC the funds to adequately re build, it was then - after that we were treading water and although AC did a good job with what he had, it was only a matter of time - you can only pull rabbits out of the hat for so long and once he inevitably left, the over performing ended and the under performing started. 
    Was there ever a point in time when we were just "performing"?   :D

(Apologies for bringing a bit of whimsy to a serious thread)  
  • Options
    edited January 27
    Good piece.
    Not selling to AEG before that. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Is that the same group that took over the O2 and were Man U shirt sponsors for a time?
    Anschutz Entertainment as distinct from the electrical appliances maker?
  • Options
    edited January 27
    If the choice was L1 survival with a manager who doesn't get the club v L2 rebuild with a manager who does, what would you prefer?
  • Options
    I sighed at this: "news that consultants had been hired to develop new support locally and to improve the matchday experience."

That money would be better spent on the three most important things: the football, the football and the football.
    Exactly, what a load of bollocks. "consultants had been hired" Try asking the fans how to improve the "matchday experience" ( win a few games would be a start) Develop new support ? Why would anybody decide they wanted to support a club on the verge of relegation to the lowest level they would ever have appeared at ? If they were serious there's plenty of people around who were involved in Target 10 thousand etc. who they could consult. Or maybe the consultants happen to be a firm that methven is involved with ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vff said:
    mendonca said:
    Tears:

Twenty years ago this week, Charlton were fourth in the Premier League, well clear of Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester City.
    Should have pushed on

It was Scott Parker going mid season that stuffed things up. Chelsea didn't need him and bought him to mess up a competitor's team. Never forgive them for that.
    To make matters worse Millwall took the last European spot by virtue of reaching the FA Cup final. 
    Never forgive and never forget Parker. 
    But I got a great trip to Budapest and had breakfast with Ray Wilkins. So it weren’t all bad 😜
  • Options
    edited January 28
    "Chris Who?"
  • Options
    vff said:
    mendonca said:
    Tears:

Should have pushed on

To make matters worse Millwall took the last European spot by virtue of reaching the FA Cup final. 
    Never forgive and never forget Parker. 
    But I got a great trip to Budapest and had breakfast with Ray Wilkins. So it weren’t all bad 😜
    Hope you were sitting next to him, rather than opposite when you asked him to pass the salt?  
  • Options
    Good piece.
    Selling Parker to Chelsea - the long decline started at that point.