Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colchester v Charlton | Sat 09 Jan | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Headlines
Charlton sign Defender: Roger Johnson and Midfielder: Diego Poyet as the Transfer Window opens
CharltonLife mods are searching for a fan who is said to be stalking @Sadiejane81, he’s said to be dangerous so approach with care

Introduction
Within CharltonLife we all get to sigh a bit of relief this Saturday, we can forget looking for results, praying that teams around us in the league have lost because one of the most anticipated dates in the Football Calendar is here, the romance of the cup has arrived, and the underdogs are preparing for battle… It’s time for the FA Cup Third Round

Of course many on here will claim that defeat will be a blessing for Charlton, the cup this season is an evident distraction yet a win this Saturday could see our season turn around, we could reach the Fourth Round and face a tie against one of England’s elite (especially as last time that happened we were able to go out and purchase Bradley Wright-Phillips), of course we’ve got to beat Colchester United before we can start dreaming of the next round (which’ll probably be against Blackburn Rovers)

The Opposition
Name: Colchester United | Manager: Kevin Keen
Ground: Weston Community Stadium | Nickname: The U’s

When the draw for the Third Round was made back in December, many hoped that we’d face a big side from the off, that didn’t happen and we were left to settle with a local tie (It could have been worse when you look at Carlisle United v Yeovil Town), to reach this stage of the competition, Colchester have twice had to beat Non-League opposition, firstly coming away at Wealdstone (6-2) before narrowly beating Altrincham (3-2) in the last round thanks to a Callum Harriott goal right at the death.

Since the turn of the decade (Could only be bothered to go back that far), Colchester have been in the Third Round on four occasions, and they’ve lost on every occasion, against Cardiff (3-1), Swansea (4-0) and Preston (7-0), their last foray into the Fourth Round was 10-years ago, that season they went on to the fifth round where they eventually bowed out against Chelsea.

Last FA Cup Meeting: Colchester United 0-1 Charlton Athletic (1984)

Old Faces
Darren Ambrose … Marvin Sordell … Johnnie Jackson … Callum Harriott

Charlton Team News
Of course, the biggest name on everyone’s lips when this tie was announced was our very own Callum Harriott, he was the man who set this match up when he scored against Altrincham yet having been recalled to Charlton he is now cup-tied so can play no part in our FA Cup campaign this season.

With a relatively small squad, you’d expect Karel Fraeye to rest some players but there are times when I don’t even think he knows what he’s doing so trying to guess what he’s thinking can verge on the impossible sometimes, you’d expect though to see Nick Pope being given a run out in Goal whilst Morgan Fox should appear at Left-Back seeing that Tarieq Holmes-Dennis is now suspended (Unless Archie Edwards is being prepared for debut as he is missing for the U21s today).

One player who could make his debut (or second debut) for the club is Midfielder: Diego Poyet who has been made available by his parent club: West Ham, Cristian Ceballos is currently gaining match time for the U21s today (and scored) so he too get a start, Igor Vetokele who also returned from injury may appear on the bench yet after being out for almost 6-months, it’ll be highly unlikely (which means he’ll be there).

Pope
Solly … Williams … Lennon … Fox
Charles-Cook … Poyet … Cousins … Ceballos
Makienok … Ahearne-Grant

Substitutes Bench: Henderson … Sarr … Johnson … Jackson … Gudmundsson … Vaz Te … Vetokele

Prediction
Colchester United 1-3 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Options
    I'm going 1-4
  • Options
    Pretty sure Williams will start
  • Options

Pretty sure Williams will start

FFS I keep forgetting about Williams...

I've amended my squad so that he starts, Johnson goes on the bench with Diarra being rested (If even fit)
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Not expecting to see Jackson in the squad, due to last weeks injury. Also not sure that Diarra will be fit or that Igor will be ready yet? You don't mention Williams - do we know if he is allowed to play? Has Reza been sold yet?

This would be my pick -

Henderson
    Solly
    Johnson
    Williams (or Lennon)
    Fox
    Gudmundsson
    Cousins
    Poyet
    Ceballos
    Makienok
    Vaz Te

Subs: Pope, Charles-Cook, Sarr, Lennon (or Edwards), Muldoon, Ghoochannejhad, Ahearne-Grant
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Not expecting to see Jackson in the squad, due to last weeks injury. Also not sure that Diarra will be fit or that Igor will be ready yet? You don't mention Williams - do we know if he is allowed to play? Has Reza been sold yet?

I amended my Squad to include Williams but not sure if he's eligible or not as nothing mentioned from the club, didn't realise that Jackson was injured against Forest until you said (thought it was just a normal sub), I do think players will be rested hence why I'd dropped Reza
  • Options
    Williams has permission to play, which seems odd if he is only here for 28 days
  • Options
    If we don't win this then I give up. Colchester are abysmal ( not unlike us) but i'm going for a 2-1 win. Nigels at home in the next round.
  • Options
    We'll win fairly comfortable. 4-0 Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    Breaking my rule and predicting a Charlton win. 1 - 2
  • Options
    Good practice for next season. 1-1
  • Options
    Bradders took them to pieces back in L1.
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Just seen IGOR'S BACK | So @IgorVetokele returns in Charlton colours for the first time since September. #cafc
  • Options
    I just hope we put out a strong enough team to beat Colchester. Any win would be a bit of a morale boost plus it gives us a chance of a big tie in round 4 and, hopefully, a big TV audience for a major in-stadium protest.
  • Options
    Make a solid start and we are 2-0 up at half-time through Jackson and Cousins.Then,uncertain whether to stick or twist,we concede a goal on the hour.Spend thirty minutes clearing everything that comes our way although JBG narrowly misses with a free-kick ten minutes from time.We scrape through.And then draw Man City away,let's hope not.
    Never seen an easy game away at Colchester and with the crowd behind them they will give everything.Let's hear the Charlton fans in full voice,should be great to be part of a large away contingent once again.
  • Options
    Could be comfortable, but probably not,1-2 us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Draw. Replay in front of less than 5,000.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Make a solid start and we are 2-0 up at half-time through Jackson and Cousins.Then,uncertain whether to stick or twist,we concede a goal on the hour.Spend thirty minutes clearing everything that comes our way although JBG narrowly misses with a free-kick ten minutes from time.We scrape through.And then draw Man City away,let's hope not.
    Never seen an easy game away at Colchester and with the crowd behind them they will give everything.Let's hear the Charlton fans in full voice,should be great to be part of a large away contingent once again.

Seeing that they're 5 points clear of safety, I imagine that their fans will be just as disgruntled as us!
  • Options

Seeing that they're 5 points clear of safety, I imagine that their fans will be just as disgruntled as us!
    Went on the Colchester site yesterday, they stated the car park at the ground was sold out for the match and that they were expecting a 5000 crowd(in the ground!)

The pull of the FA Cup methinks.
  • Options
    New player bounce, if selected of course, if so 2-0 win, if not 1-1 and back to The Valley... match thread from 1.45
  • Options
    draw .. then Addicks scrape through in a Valley replay .. I'll be down in Essex this weekend but t b h I am giving this one a miss .. with 3 Yorkshire games in January, I am saving my time and energy for the Championship games ..
    I suspect that Fraeye will put out a weakened team, if so and I were there, that would REALLY piss me off ..

Colchester United 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    If it meant getting rid of Fraeye I honestly wouldn't care if we lost this one.
  • Options
    As pony as we are they are proper ponage , so we win comfortably 0-2
  • Options
    0-2

I have never been more certain.

• Options
    No sign of Kennedy after his League Cup performances?
  • Options
    kafka said:

No sign of Kennedy after his League Cup performances?

Hasnt really appeared under Fraeye though has he?

Think he is one who'd benefit from a League One loan