Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IS IT TIME FOR A MATCH BOYCOTT ?

Personally I think it is. For two years the fans have been seeking dialogue. Now thanks to KM I think the time for dialogue has passed and regime change should be the aim. The removal of KM and the appointment of a proper manager should be the minimum aim. A new owner would be my hope but this may take time.
On the train home after the Notts Forrest after match protest I met a man with his two children wearing their black and white scarves. He told me he had only attended the protest and not the match. I know many will say we have to support the team but I think we have to think of the long term goal. Fans ( customers ) have already deserted in their thousands. Before they lose interest completely we need to keep them involved in the movement. I think those fans who feel they can should boycott the next match and protest in the West stand car park from 2.30 - 6.00pm. This would give the already boycotting fans a chance to protest as well as any that feel strongly enough to join in a one game boycott. If we had 300 of the existing stay aways and 700 that still attend boycott , this would keep the pressure on the regime.
For those who feel they have to watch the match , fair enough , there should be no pressure to join the boycott, we need to work together. However, imagine hearing the Demo outside while you " enjoy the matchday experience " looking at shiny empty seats and lovely green grass in a 2/3 empty stadium.
KM would be entertaining her guests while looking out of the boardroom window seeing 1,000 Charlton fans not coming into the ground. She would be calculating the lost revenue and how it will be affecting her revenue streams !
Just my thoughts but feel the time has come. ' 2% YOU'RE HAVING A LAUGH "

Comments

• Options
    I think we've done this on another thread
  • Options

Personally I think it is. For two years the fans have been seeking dialogue. Now thanks to KM I think the time for dialogue has passed and regime change should be the aim. The removal of KM and the appointment of a proper manager should be the minimum aim. A new owner would be my hope but this may take time.
    On the train home after the Notts Forrest after match protest I met a man with his two children wearing their black and white scarves. He told me he had only attended the protest and not the match. I know many will say we have to support the team but I think we have to think of the long term goal. Fans ( customers ) have already deserted in their thousands. Before they lose interest completely we need to keep them involved in the movement. I think those fans who feel they can should boycott the next match and protest in the West stand car park from 2.30 - 6.00pm. This would give the already boycotting fans a chance to protest as well as any that feel strongly enough to join in a one game boycott. If we had 300 of the existing stay aways and 700 that still attend boycott , this would keep the pressure on the regime.
    For those who feel they have to watch the match , fair enough , there should be no pressure to join the boycott, we need to work together. However, imagine hearing the Demo outside while you " enjoy the matchday experience " looking at shiny empty seats and lovely green grass in a 2/3 empty stadium.
    KM would be entertaining her guests while looking out of the boardroom window seeing 1,000 Charlton fans not coming into the ground. She would be calculating the lost revenue and how it will be affecting her revenue streams !
    Just my thoughts but feel the time has come. ' 2% YOU'RE HAVING A LAUGH "

I do not think this would work at the moment.

I think it would be a good idea if we designated a game where we all went in the Covered End and sang protest songs throughout.

• Options
    As a relegation fight seems likely, every point will be valuable.
    The team surely needs our support more than ever.
    I like the idea of support the team not the regime.
    A boycott doesn't fit that bill.
    I like elfsborgs idea.
  • Options
    No support the team, not the regime
  • Options
    I only attended the protest that was after the game as I feel it won't help the team if it's done before or during. I don't think this boycott will help the team, so it's a no thank you from me
  • Options
    Boycott extremely difficult and would never be more than 50% IMO. Also must continue to support the team - not the regime. We need points. Think boycotting all merchandise, food, drinks, programmes, etc. would be noticed by the 'management' and have some impact. Need to think of other ways to affect the owner and club management that doesn't impact on the guys on the pitch...
  • Options
    No, too unrealistic a form of protest
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not yet but the time is getting closer.

I like the 5 minute idea.
  • Options
    Agreed, could also cause fun with the entry system with so many people entering in such a short space of time.
  • Options

Agreed, could also cause fun with the entry system with so many people entering in such a short space of time.

Could be a bit of a crush....

Women & children first ?

:smile:

• Options
    As long as the first woman is Katrien, in hear seat at 2.55 looking at even more empty seats thàn usual - and of course I would always step aside for you in a large queue, maybe we could have a dress rehearsal at Huddersfield....:)
  • Options

As long as the first woman is Katrien, in hear seat at 2.55 looking at even more empty seats thàn usual - and of course I would always step aside for you in a large queue, maybe we could have a dress rehearsal at Huddersfield....:)

See you there.

• Options
    razil said:

But keep funding the regime? Season ticket boycott if they're not gone by renewal time.
  • Options
    If you were really looking to organise one, the fixture by far the most likely to be successful (and I think you'd need to set your expectations as to what success would look like because you'll never have a scenario where no Charlton fans turn up) would be a cup match at the Valley.
  • Options
    You will indeed. Then maybe at Hull I can tell you about the comparative customer experiences between Virgin trains, the hotel I am using, the greasy spoon where I will have my breakfast on Wednesday morning and the event we are attending on Tuesday evening.
  • Options

razil said:

But keep funding the regime? Season ticket boycott if they're not gone by renewal time.
    Roland Duchatelet has £500m+. Your £300 isn't what's funding this regime.
  • Options
    Kind of a boycott............all walk out before half-time (back for 2nd half though)..........say in the 42nd minute...........win/win............boycott plus avoid watching us concede that damned goal just before half-time :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i like the idea of a total boycott of the next fa cup match - if we stay in it. total loss of revenue and we are spared what is always a really shit game
  • Options
    I can't see me ever boycotting a game, but never say never. Last resort for me.

Come in 5 mins late. More demos outside the West Stand. Occupy Lower West Stand & surround Meire. Occupy Crossbars & Bartrams. S/T boycott for next season.
  • Options
    I think we have to be realistic about the level of protest. Judging by the queues for food, and pre match and half time conversations behind the East Stand I don't think a boycott would work at all.

The 5 minutes idea sounds better, or even 30 seconds so that the stands are relatively empty at kick off and then everyone surges in from the concourses united in song...
  • Options
    Erm does not going to Colchester away on Saturday count as a boycott?
  • Options

Let's be honest though,supporting the team in numbers and vocally has been proven time and time again to have diddly squat affect on the performance on the pitch.

Er , I'm not quite sure we've had those problems at Charlton.
  • Options
    Not yet but I'm not sure how effective it will be as a large number will still turn up.
  • Options
    what I found disappointing on saturday, were the streams of fans just walking away after the game. I wanted to grab them and drag them back to the protest, or ask why they didn't seem to care enough to lend their weight to our plight.

of course I don't know why they didn't but it felt like they simply weren't interested and are willing to put up with this, which I believe is a huge obstacle to overcome.
  • Options
    If the cup match against Colchester is a draw then this could be an option for a boycott. I'm sure a second string side will be fielded and we will probably be dumped out of the cup. I am on my 7th match boycott at present and to be honest I'm not missing it at all. I attended both protests against Nottingham Forest but slipped away at 3.00 pm for an enjoyable lunch on blackheath with some friends.
    When an attendance of a couple of thousand is recorded, then and only then , will people from outside the club realise and question what's going on at our club.
    The customers, I mean fans, that want to boycott can remain in the car park or slip off to a local pub and come back at half four for another protest.
    The cup is not a priority , the league is.
    Also getting rid and hurting the establishment in the pocket is a priority.
    This post is meaningless if we triumph on Saturday.
    COYR

• Options

what I found disappointing on saturday, were the streams of fans just walking away after the game. I wanted to grab them and drag them back to the protest, or ask why they didn't seem to care enough to lend their weight to our plight.

of course I don't know why they didn't but it felt like they simply weren't interested and are willing to put up with this, which I believe is a huge obstacle to overcome.

Your final paragraph sums it up well.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I say support the team, not the regime. As a ST holder, I've paid for the games and will attend, I've stopped buying HT draw tickets and don't buy anything inside the ground. However if we draw on Saturday, then the replay could be the game that is telling to the club, as many people will not want to give them any extra money. I know that I wouldn't be arsed to try to get a ticket if there is a replay.