Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IS IT TIME FOR A MATCH BOYCOTT ?

Comments

• Options
    No to a boycott...as a fan you should support the team...as a customer you should give the management feedback on the quality of their product and service...you can't do either if you are not there...
  • Options
    A 3 1/2 hour stand up in the Car Park ?

Bring a tent, plenty of food / drink and a portaloo.
  • Options
    Like many I have supported the club since the mid 60s, have been a season ticket holder for over 40 years, was part of the original Target 10,000 promoting our club to new generations , so love them with a passion. I do not profess to understand the business rationale or ethics of the current board, so apologies if my thoughts are off the mark, but these are my fears for our club.

What would a match boycott do? In my opinion play right into the hands of RD & KM.

To many , it doesn't make sense that they are prepared to let the club / business sink. Surely staying in the Championship with good players would make the club financially successful, so why let your business decline. What is the point.

My fear is that by doing this , supporters become dissalusioned, create a void and then - they have their answer , sell the only assets that are worth any real money to them the VALLEY. Their answer will be the supporters are not interested in the club!

This maybe a very simplistic view, but it is the fear that I have. KM and RD are trying to alienate us from our club, GReenwich council tried and failed because we stuck together and stayed with our team.

So protests yes, not entering the ground until 5 min before kick off yes , publicise our plight yes but don't lets leave the team that we support, because without our presence at games I trully believe we will loose our ground and club .

• Options
    Stay on the concourses until the 5th minute gets my vote.
  • Options

what I found disappointing on saturday, were the streams of fans just walking away after the game. I wanted to grab them and drag them back to the protest, or ask why they didn't seem to care enough to lend their weight to our plight.

of course I don't know why they didn't but it felt like they simply weren't interested and are willing to put up with this, which I believe is a huge obstacle to overcome.

You shouldn't be so hard on people.
    Aside from those that don't agree with or are ambivalent towards the protest, there will be plenty of other reasons. Me? I had a shocking cold (still do) and could barely speak without coughing, let alone chant. At this time of year maybe up to 10% of people could have been in my situation and did not fancy catching pneumonia by standing in the rain for an hour.
    So I did my protest in silence in my car in the West Stand car park with the engine running and heater on!
    There will have been countless other "excuses" too.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Is Geoffery a Charlton fan

No idea, but George and Bungle are in charge!
  • Options
    If RD is still around in a few months then a pre-organised boycott of next season's season tickets would send a powerful message. We could still go to games on a match by match basis, but it would rob them of the big capital income they get at the start of each season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I still think we need to be there but not to spend a penny in the ground, certainly not in the club shop. No food, no programmes, no drinks. Use the lounges but bring your own. A pre-season boycott of shirts etc will hit, and sponsors ought to be made aware why their kit will not be seen. Season ticket holders, if possible, should not renew but attend on a match-by-match basis - plenty of seats available! Above all, we continue to get behind the team BUT chanting etc against Meire, managerial puppets and Roland should continue.

This is not a short-term boycott but RD is not in this for the short term. And if that woman remains as CEO, the marked reduction in turnover will take a lot of explaining.
  • Options
    A commercial boycott would put the club in an awkward contractual position with its suppliers, season ticket holders boycotting might not have much of an impact. Sales of next years STs however is a different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Yes/A boycott is absolutely necessary. As NightMeire said if we didn't like the food in the restaurant or cinema experience as Customers we wouldn't demonstrate or "scream at the Management" we just wouldn't use that restaurant or go to that cinema anymore. I am saying we should hold Nightmeire to her own logic and as "Customers" we should simply refuse to pay for something we were not happy with. Simple, a Boycott it is then.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    A banner with the words "Sack Meire or We Boycott" should get the message across.
  • Options

Yes/A boycott is absolutely necessary. As NightMeire said if we didn't like the food in the restaurant or cinema experience as Customers we wouldn't demonstrate or "scream at the Management" we just wouldn't use that restaurant or go to that cinema anymore. I am saying we should hold Nightmeire to her own logic and as "Customers" we should simply refuse to pay for something we were not happy with. Simples, a Boycott it is then.

I've seen 'simples' used on this site twice in the last two days - Enough! I'm off to the "things that annoy you" thread. ;-)

Personally I agree with a boycott, but in reality it has to be accepted that until things got a lot, lot worse it just isn't really possible as enough people would still go to make the boycott a non-event.

Not buying stuff in the stadium etc. is about as close as we'll get for now - which is fine I guess, it's still a step in the right direction and will affect the owners somewhat.
  • Options

A banner with the words "Sack Meire or We Boycott" should get the message across.

Suspect the Meire Secret Police (aka stewards) would have that down before it had been fully unfurled. These types don't like public shows of unhappiness.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I like your style but it's no good threatening something you can't effectively deliver as sufficient fans will still be in attendance. The 5 minute absence at the start of a game with demos after this season and ST boycott next season is the way to go IMO.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    The point i made to the 3 guys behind me on Saturday was, (Only watching because they turned up to protest) that you think by staying away your hitting Duchatelet in the pocket and making a point.
    Any normal businessman i would agree, and this would be a valid way to get at him. and see him leave.
    Unless you have read the Bizarre interview that was translated in which he talks about tax shifts, our dying planet, (agree with that) Keyboard warriors, who are out of work and his hopes for a utopian society you would realize that if we end up like CAFC (Crewe) with 5000 crowds in League 1 or 2 and half of them made up of tourists and customers experiencing a family day out with the result immaterial; then he has achieved HIS ambition.
    In league 1 or 2, no player would earn over 3 grand a week,(most players less) and he would sell the young talent for a couple of million every now and then.

By NOT turning up, and NOT protesting you will just make this scenario come around
    Quicker.
    Can anyone else see this point of Views ?
    Don't make that a one off boycotters, because you are in that corridor of uncertainty (i can't help myself)

Support the Team and not the regime (Borrowed from the Geordies 2013 Protests)
    The Black and white Protests works on every level of straight talking.
    Hence because i couldn't get hold of a B+W Scarf i had that B+W golf
    Umbrella ella ella, shame it was raining.

Ps. I did both shifts on Saturday and even got a quick glance from Murray with a Varney army,in the stadium ( My voice was Fuc#ed Saturday Night) and hope it is, every game until they go.
  • Options
    Great idea...funny i suggested a half game boycott here last week and got pelted by some of the idiots on here. Keep those ideas coming.
  • Options
    We need the Killer flag, with a firm message on it to go!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Great idea...funny i suggested a half game boycott here last week and got pelted by some of the idiots on here. Keep those ideas coming.

Problem is, as ever, the best you can hope for is 20-30% agreeing to this. And then if we are on the attack (just humour me for a second) or it's a cracking game (rememeber them) I suspect most people will stay to watch. This kind of protest needs large scale support or it will play into Meire's hands as she will claim it just shows all the old fans have weak bladders.
  • Options

Yes/A boycott is absolutely necessary. As NightMeire said if we didn't like the food in the restaurant or cinema experience as Customers we wouldn't demonstrate or "scream at the Management" we just wouldn't use that restaurant or go to that cinema anymore. I am saying we should hold Nightmeire to her own logic and as "Customers" we should simply refuse to pay for something we were not happy with. Simple, a Boycott it is then.

this is the problem. in her eyes this would make sense but what she doesn't get is that we support the team as if it's an obligation, a marriage in a world of no divorces. many of us cant just say ahh screw it I'm boycotting. we can at a restaurant or in a pub we don't like but this is our football team, it means so much more. this is why I don't believe boycotting will work as I don't believe enough of us will want to do it to make it work.
  • Options

Football is different from other products though. If I had an issue with Sainsbury's, I could boycott them and go to a rival, ditto swapping chocolate bars or minicab firms or whatever. I've no emotional tie to a supermarket.

However much I distrust/dislike the owners, I still care about the 11 people on the pitch, even if it's not as much as it was a few years ago
  • Options

Not yet but the time is getting closer.

I like the 5 minute idea.

Seen that happen at Eintracht Frankfurt - it looks effective.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

what I found disappointing on saturday, were the streams of fans just walking away after the game. I wanted to grab them and drag them back to the protest, or ask why they didn't seem to care enough to lend their weight to our plight.

of course I don't know why they didn't but it felt like they simply weren't interested and are willing to put up with this, which I believe is a huge obstacle to overcome.

You shouldn't be so hard on people.
    Aside from those that don't agree with or are ambivalent towards the protest, there will be plenty of other reasons. Me? I had a shocking cold (still do) and could barely speak without coughing, let alone chant. At this time of year maybe up to 10% of people could have been in my situation and did not fancy catching pneumonia by standing in the rain for an hour.
    So I did my protest in silence in my car in the West Stand car park with the engine running and heater on!
    There will have been countless other "excuses" too.
    I don't have a problem with people and excuses but apathy, I can't abide.

hope your colds better.
  • Options
    At this stage I think we need to turn up and make it uncomfortable for KM, RM and KF to continue in there role.

We need to get hostile with them without breaking the law.
  • Options

Do you mean like the players do ?

• Options
    If literally everyone did it, it would be effective and I would follow. But it would be too hard to organise and would not work properly, a protest such as the one last week will be far more effective.
  • Options

Do you mean like the players do ?

What's the betting we would get the wrong half?