Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A question for all those that called for the sacking of Chris Powell.

How much do you regret that now?

When Powell was sacked and the anti Powell brigade were celebrating we were struggling at the foot of the table but we were in a better position than what we are now with games in hand and a manager that despite his tactical faults, cared about this club and the fans, so would have worked his butt off to get us safe. "Fans" said that after the performance against Sheffield United in the cup and the fact we got knocked out was "unforgivable" and trout like that. But we got knocked out in the quarter finals, it was our best cup run in years. Powell had a win percentage of over 40% which is a commendable record for any coach especially one so early in his career.

Now we are in a worse position 2 years later and 5 coaches on, we have a head coach that couldn't care less where we finish or where we end up as he has no affinity to us, he hasn't even officially got the job. He has a win percentage of about 27% ((not a stats person feel free to correct (I'm including cups)) and we got knocked out in the third round of the FA cup without even really turning up.

So back to the original question, if you could take back wanting Powell out, would you?

**edit** I never wrote this to create a divide, I am not asking if you want him back or anything of the sort merely pointing out that after 2 years of ridiculous changes we are in a worse position and am also concerned that the board that are not exactly intelligent may start thinking the same thing. What if Powell is asked back because somehow they think it will shut the fans up?

Why bring this up now? Because we have just gone out of the FA cup, brings back memories. Because Powell was on the football show last week etc etc.

Comments

• Options
    Don't think many wanted him out tbh Sadie.....Roly apart of course.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Move on!

Curbs has gone too by the way.....

Really?
  • Options
    Agree. With the above comments. Not really the right time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not the right time for this thread imho. We would have gone down that year under Sir Chris.

I'm pretty sure we would have but not without trying.
  • Options
    As much as I agree with you now is really not the time.. United fan base!
  • Options
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Speak for yourself :wink:
  • Options
    Now is the perfect time to ask this as hopefully it'll make people think twice before they call for a good Manager to be sacked next time.

Seriously when is a good time to ask the question, when we're in a promotion race as then the people will say that its irrelevant based on our position just to avoid the question
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Sorry don't see the point in going into the Chris Powell debate,? He is a Charlton Legend but the football at times in the championship was boring, although he wasn't given the best players in the world
  • Options
    As much as I loved the bloke if he would have stayed we would have gone down IMHO.

He didn't exactly set the Udders alight either did he..??

Anyway, we have more pressing matters than this at hand at the moment
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Poor Chris had the summer when he realize that he would've no money to buy any one, Hence why he had to get Simon Church from a park in Reading when he was a free agent, and Sordell who had lost his way and no one else wanted.
    By the time of the take over he was already struggling and not sure how to continue, he needed to leave for his own piece of mind and we were 24th even with the games in hand,
    In a parallel universe TJ and Slater didn't run out of money(so no need for Duchatelet) and CP was Given a good championship budget and we all lived happily ever after.

Real life isn't a fairy story and the good guys don't always win.

Nope not having that, he was shafted by the terrible twins who pulled the finanancial plug because of their alleged shady dealings and he had to go bargain basement with Church and Sordell (who scored today incidentally).

We had games in hand so we will never know what the outcome would have been, whatever you want to surmise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't care either way but just because of what's gone on since does not necessarily mean a decision was wrong back then.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Poor Chris had the summer when he realize that he would've no money to buy any one, Hence why he had to get Simon Church from a park in Reading when he was a free agent, and Sordell who had lost his way and no one else wanted.
    By the time of the take over he was already struggling and not sure how to continue, he needed to leave for his own piece of mind and we were 24th even with the games in hand,
    In a parallel universe TJ and Slater didn't run out of money(so no need for Duchatelet) and CP was Given a good championship budget and we all lived happily ever after.

Real life isn't a fairy story and the good guys don't always win.

Nope not having that, he was shafted by the terrible twins who pulled the finanancial plug because of their alleged shady dealings and he had to go bargain basement with Church and Sordell (who scored today incidentally).

We had games in hand so we will never know what the outcome would have been, whatever you want to surmise.

I think you need to read what i said again ? you have agreed with most of what i said.

Chris was struggling and depressed, and had been shafted by both regimes.
    No one in football could have overcome that.

Why are you so confident that he would've been able to raise morale after Sheff united, when we were shocking ?

Riga came in without the Baggage, and couldn't lose as the only way was up.
  • Options
    Once RD bought the club it was always going to be a matter of time until Powell was sacked. It didn't matter if there were a few fans calling for his head or not. With the recruitment policy and lack of proper funding any manager would struggled and if Roly was looking for an excuse, one would eventually have presented itself.
  • Options
    I wanted him out at the time, and I stick by that decision, I don't feel he is a championship manager.

I really like the guy and stuff but he doesn't have the experience I feel.

However I would rather have had him than this bunch of clowns since he was sacked (Riga included)

Regardless of the manager we get now nothing will stop the rot that KM and RD have sent in the foundations of the club!

Imo
  • Options
    No problem with it at all. He was shit at the time and had to go, regardless of the back story. I moved on, he moved on and the world moved on.