Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A question for all those that called for the sacking of Chris Powell.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

C_A_F_C said:

I think this Powell chap is the unluckiest Bloke on the planet, he keeps managing these Teams with no budget, inferior Players etc etc, it's all circumstances out of his control. His capability has nothing to do with the failings of his sides whatsoever.

How many league places have you climbed since Powell was sacked? ;)
    To be fair to LGBTownfan, they could well go up four places on Tuesday.
    Haha I forgot they were playing us.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

I think this Powell chap is the unluckiest Bloke on the planet, he keeps managing these Teams with no budget, inferior Players etc etc, it's all circumstances out of his control. His capability has nothing to do with the failings of his sides whatsoever.

How many league places have you climbed since Powell was sacked? ;)
    This is the guy that came on here slagging off Powell after ONE game in charge of Huddersfield! Obviously some personal vendetta so best ignored.

Powell going was the right thing because it wasn't working with RD. But you can't compare where we were then to now. We won 2 of his last 4 games in charge versus, what, 9 games without a win now? I'd have him back under different owners, not because he's the best manager we could have but because he's a decent manager with a real connection to our club and its fans.
  • Options
    The jury is still out with me. Apart from his season in L1, he simply didn't have the resources and constantly had the rug pulled out from under him. I think with a decent backing from the board, he would have done much better, but we'll never know..........
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

This needs posting on The Board That Must Not Be Named.

They were pretty much 100% unanimous on there that he should have been sacked. Albeit there weren't that many of them back then although their numbers seem to have improved.

For myself I wanted him kept as the problem was not Powell but the "Cash" being pulled.

My doubts re this regime began with Powell's sacking and sadly have proved to be completely founded.

Spot on.

I would add though that the club was being ripped apart by the 'differences in football strategy' and something needed to give. I'd hoped RD would give Powell his backing in the transfer market given his track record, but when that didn't happen there was only ever going to be one outcome. Winning the Sheff Utd game would only have been a stay of execution, and may not have even been that. The club needed the change, as devastating as it was that it happened, and Riga did a brilliant job - not least in proving Powell right.

I still think Powell would be successful if he was given the proper backing, and RD could do worse than concede his football strategy is inferior to Powell's. His football was more on the effective side than the exciting, but for much of his time he was hamstrung by the budget. Right now I'd take effective, rather than the nonsense that sees a midfield problem exacerbated by Fraeye playing Championship Manager and throwing 4 forwards on.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

LenGlover said:

This needs posting on The Board That Must Not Be Named.

They were pretty much 100% unanimous on there that he should have been sacked. Albeit there weren't that many of them back then although their numbers seem to have improved.

For myself I wanted him kept as the problem was not Powell but the "Cash" being pulled.

My doubts re this regime began with Powell's sacking and sadly have proved to be completely founded.

Spot on.

I would add though that the club was being ripped apart by the 'differences in football strategy' and something needed to give. I'd hoped RD would give Powell his backing in the transfer market given his track record, but when that didn't happen there was only ever going to be one outcome. Winning the Sheff Utd game would only have been a stay of execution, and may not have even been that. The club needed the change, as devastating as it was that it happened, and Riga did a brilliant job - not least in proving Powell right.

I still think Powell would be successful if he was given the proper backing, and RD could do worse than concede his football strategy is inferior to Powell's. His football was more on the effective side than the exciting, but for much of his time he was hamstrung by the budget. Right now I'd take effective, rather than the nonsense that sees a midfield problem exacerbated by Fraeye playing Championship Manager and throwing 4 forwards on.
    This! 102%
  • Options
    It's important to get these crap managers out and new ones in as quickly as you can. Look how QPR and Aston Villa have fared since they took this step. I know I've posted before. My point is that very few managers can make a real change to any club straight away. Riga was very lucky last time and he won't do it twice. We need an English championship manager with experience. Warnock or Pearson.