Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A question for all those that called for the sacking of Chris Powell.

Comments

• Options
    Sacking Powell was the correct decision at the time, we were playing negative football, at the wrong end of the league, under a new owner who wouldn't have been impressed with what he saw.

Go back and watch the Sheffield United cup game, the performance was an utter shambles, and Powell stood on the sideline and just watched
  • Options

Phil Parkinson was unlucky to get sacked.
    Although Powell eventually did well, I still rate Parky and would have him back above Powell.

Oh good god no.

We need someone with absolutely no previous affiliation with the club. No former managers, players or coaches. At the same time, no poxy Belgians.

Champ experience, with his own staff. Access the squad from scratch and get us out of this mess.
  • Options
    I thought the sacking of Powell was the right move at the time. Riga should have been appointed on a permanent basis.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Although Powell eventually did well, I still rate Parky and would have him back above Powell.

Oh good god no.

We need someone with absolutely no previous affiliation with the club. No former managers, players or coaches. At the same time, no poxy Belgians.

Champ experience, with his own staff. Access the squad from scratch and get us out of this mess.
    Exactly, really do not know why we are debating this bullshit again and thats why i flagged you.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

How much do you regret that now?

When Powell was sacked and the anti Powell brigade were celebrating we were struggling at the foot of the table but we were in a better position than what we are now with games in hand and a manager that despite his tactical faults, cared about this club and the fans, so would have worked his butt off to get us safe. "Fans" said that after the performance against Sheffield United in the cup and the fact we got knocked out was "unforgivable" and trout like that. But we got knocked out in the quarter finals, it was our best cup run in years. Powell had a win percentage of over 40% which is a commendable record for any coach especially one so early in his career.

Now we are in a worse position 2 years later and 5 coaches on, we have a head coach that couldn't care less where we finish or where we end up as he has no affinity to us, he hasn't even officially got the job. He has a win percentage of about 27% ((not a stats person feel free to correct (I'm including cups)) and we got knocked out in the third round of the FA cup without even really turning up.

So back to the original question, if you could take back wanting Powell out, would you?

**edit** I never wrote this to create a divide, I am not asking if you want him back or anything of the sort merely pointing out that after 2 years of ridiculous changes we are in a worse position and am also concerned that the board that are not exactly intelligent may start thinking the same thing. What if Powell is asked back because somehow they think it will shut the fans up?

Why bring this up now? Because we have just gone out of the FA cup, brings back memories. Because Powell was on the football show last week etc etc.

None
    People forget that supporters on this site and ITTV wanted Powell put after a few months when comments like out his depth , and not good enough were branded around when we were in free fall in his first season with us ...

Why would you want him back proved with us and Huddresfield that he us not a championship manager
    I didn't say I wanted him back just that in grand scheme of things I preferred that reality to this one!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Sacking Powell was the correct decision at the time, we were playing negative football, at the wrong end of the league, under a new owner who wouldn't have been impressed with what he saw.

Go back and watch the Sheffield United cup game, the performance was an utter shambles, and Powell stood on the sideline and just watched

I think he knew his time was up and it was possibly his last game in charge
    Would you work hard for your boss on ur last day knowing you were were probably getting sacked in the morning
  • Options

Also liked parky whose sacking was a joke considering our league position and games in hand
  • Options
    I knew this thread was a mistake. However. What was the league position Charlton were in on the day Duchatelet took over.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Also liked parky whose sacking was a joke considering our league position and games in hand
    Parkinson lost all his games as caretaker manager. He had a worse record than Fraeye!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a pointless thread. With everything else going on right now we get an 'I told you so thread'!

Why can't people just move on...
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

He may well already have been sacked by then, depending who you believe.

Personally I think there was some serious interference from above in the run up to the semi final.

In my eyes, the palace game this season showed that cup competitions are viewed by RD as obstacles rather than opportunities.

Knowing RD and his cohorts as we know them now, does it seem likely that they give a flying one about the chance of a Wembley appearance?
  • Options

Parkinson lost all his games as caretaker manager. He had a worse record than Fraeye!!!
    True at the time
    But think he proved himself over the course of his time in charge
  • Options
    100% stand by wanting Powell sacked (Something needed to change and seeing as RD weren't going nowhere, then the manager had to go), so what if it was Chris Powell? Obviously it weren't known that RD would then go on to appoint any Tom, Dick or Harry.

As was previously posted, I can't see why for the life of me Riga got the pump...

• Options
    As a matter of interest, how are the new managers doing at QPR and Aston Villa? Absolutely ridiculous to talk about Parkinson and how he fared as caretaker. Managers need time and the fans need to see progress. That hasnt happened with our current manager, but progress was made with Parkinson. In fact Parkinson was desperately unlucky not to take us to a match with Millwall at Wembley. I love Powell as a man, but he had lost the plot when he was sacked. The current manager lost the plot after the Sheffield Weds game which we now know was just lucky.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Parkinson desperately unlucky??? The bloke can count himself more fortunate than most. He was part of the Pardew team that lost every week, and then somehow, despite winning no games as caretaker, got the job full time. Nice bloke tho with lovely V necks.

The clubs been a basket case for years.
  • Options

How much do you regret that now?

When Powell was sacked and the anti Powell brigade were celebrating we were struggling at the foot of the table but we were in a better position than what we are now with games in hand and a manager that despite his tactical faults, cared about this club and the fans, so would have worked his butt off to get us safe. "Fans" said that after the performance against Sheffield United in the cup and the fact we got knocked out was "unforgivable" and trout like that. But we got knocked out in the quarter finals, it was our best cup run in years. Powell had a win percentage of over 40% which is a commendable record for any coach especially one so early in his career.

Now we are in a worse position 2 years later and 5 coaches on, we have a head coach that couldn't care less where we finish or where we end up as he has no affinity to us, he hasn't even officially got the job. He has a win percentage of about 27% ((not a stats person feel free to correct (I'm including cups)) and we got knocked out in the third round of the FA cup without even really turning up.

So back to the original question, if you could take back wanting Powell out, would you?

**edit** I never wrote this to create a divide, I am not asking if you want him back or anything of the sort merely pointing out that after 2 years of ridiculous changes we are in a worse position and am also concerned that the board that are not exactly intelligent may start thinking the same thing. What if Powell is asked back because somehow they think it will shut the fans up?

Why bring this up now? Because we have just gone out of the FA cup, brings back memories. Because Powell was on the football show last week etc etc.

OK what have you done with the real Sadie? You'll be calling people out next ;0)

(PS did some knobhead really flag the original post? FFS.)
  • Options

Parkinson desperately unlucky??? The bloke can count himself more fortunate than most. He was part of the Pardew team that lost every week, and then somehow, despite winning no games as caretaker, got the job full time. Nice bloke tho with lovely V necks.

The clubs been a basket case for years.

The club was a basket case at the time is true. I think both Pardew and Parkinson have vindicated themselves since they were sacked. Not sure whoever we had got in to manage during that period would have done any better. Club has been in a nose dive since Curbishley departed. In fact. I have been a supporter since 1961 and with the exception of a couple of years under Lenny and then Curbs it has been a basket case non stop.

• Options

He was a good man had charlton running through his viens
    But that alone does not win u points I'm afraid

Well only 101.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think this Powell chap is the unluckiest Bloke on the planet, he keeps managing these Teams with no budget, inferior Players etc etc, it's all circumstances out of his control. His capability has nothing to do with the failings of his sides whatsoever.
  • Options

I think this Powell chap is the unluckiest Bloke on the planet, he keeps managing these Teams with no budget, inferior Players etc etc, it's all circumstances out of his control. His capability has nothing to do with the failings of his sides whatsoever.

How many league places have you climbed since Powell was sacked? ;)
  • Options
    Chris will have to retire before some of you stop digging this one up. Great player for Charlton and of course England, lovely man, not a great manager.
  • Options
    I don't think Chris is a bad manager. Still relatively inexperienced and if I'm being brutally honest I think his teams are a bit one dimensional. I'm sure as he progresses through his career that will change. Certainly an excellent man manager.

His time at Charlton will be defined by that 101 points with a new team built with the then support of the owners. As soon as that support went I think his inexperience started to show. He got even worse support under the Belgian and I still firmly believe if CP had remained our manager we would have been relegated under him.

Would I want him back ? Heart says yes but head no.
  • Options
    Just when we need a bit of a united front, we're arguing about a manager who got the pump nearly 2 years ago.

Not very helpful imo

• Options

Say "knobhead" and He Will Appear.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

How many league places have you climbed since Powell was sacked? ;)
    To be fair to LGBTownfan, they could well go up four places on Tuesday.